harddisk and flash drive

unsetld

Broken In
Hi,

I going to buy a harddisk,please suggest which is the best right now to buy?Please also do tell me about the prices of 500gb/250 gb harddisk.

Please also tell me about external and portable harddisk,their prices and whats the difference btw external and portable

I also looking to buy a good flashdrive/pendrive which is the best for 16 gb and its price.? or should i buy a 32 gb pendrive.

i am a noob i have lot of confusions and sorry for my noob language.

thanks in advance.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
A 250 GB HDD will cost you around ~3.6k and 500GB Rs. 4-4.2k - currently seagate is offering only 1 year warranty on HDD and WD is 2 years ;-)

external and portable hdd is same thing but do pay attention to the form factor and whether the external HDD has needs any power adapter or not and also make sure that the extrenal HDD has interface you want like esta, firewire, usb 2.0 ( most common ) and usb 3.0.

a 250GB portable HDD will cost around ~3.5k and a 500GB is around 4.2k ( usb 2.0 ) / 4.8k (usb 3.0 )

for pen drive get 16GB corsair flash voyager @ 0.9k but 32GB pen drive varies a lot in price range - you can get one around ~1.7k -- 3.3k - depending on model and
manufacturer ;-)

OP
U

unsetld

Broken In
A 250 GB HDD will cost you around ~3.6k and 500GB Rs. 4-4.2k - currently seagate is offering only 1 year warranty on HDD and WD is 2 years ;-)

external and portable hdd is same thing but do pay attention to the form factor and whether the external HDD has needs any power adapter or not and also make sure that the extrenal HDD has interface you want like esta, firewire, usb 2.0 ( most common ) and usb 3.0.

a 250GB portable HDD will cost around ~3.5k and a 500GB is around 4.2k ( usb 2.0 ) / 4.8k (usb 3.0 )

for pen drive get 16GB corsair flash voyager @ 0.9k but 32GB pen drive varies a lot in price range - you can get one around ~1.7k -- 3.3k - depending on model and
manufacturer ;-)

Thanks a lot sir,

1.Can u tell me about which model in wd should i buy for hdd i.e both 250 and 500gb

2.Which model in external hard disk for 250 and 500gb

3.Please do tell me about a good UPS within price of 1-1.5k.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
one thing you should know is that all WD portable hard disks currently have usb port soldered to drive itself.what it means is that if your connector gets damaged then you can not simply open the case,take out the drive & connect it using another case/to another system to save your data.you will have to give the drive back(if in warranty) & lose your data.if it is not in warranty then too you will lose your data.so in other words if your WD portable drive's connector gets damaged it is same as a dead drive even if the drive itself is fine.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. For interanla HDD get WD Blue series drives but better would be Black series drive 500GB drive.

2. For external HDD get Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex USB 3.0 500GB drive - around 4.7k

3. For 1.5k you can get Numeric 600VA ups but better would be APC 600VA at 1.85k ;-)

OP
U

unsetld

Broken In
1. For interanla HDD get WD Blue series drives but better would be Black series drive 500GB drive.

2. For external HDD get Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex USB 3.0 500GB drive - around 4.7k

3. For 1.5k you can get Numeric 600VA ups but better would be APC 600VA at 1.85k ;-)

what about internal wd black of 250 gb? can i get model number.

Are zebronics ups better or less than numeric.?

OP
U

unsetld

Broken In

Ps: I have intel d101ggc motherboard will the wd (blue/black)hdd work with my motherboard

and the other mentioned hardware i.e flashdrive and ups will work with my motherboard.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
there's no 250GB Black edition HDD - it starts from 500GB ( WD5001AALS )

for the mobo flash drive and UPS don't need any kind of compatibily with the mobo but to use a sata 3 HDD you may need to update the mobo bios.

Sid_gamer

Team Digit
As suggested by topgear, The UPS doesn't need any compatibility.
I would say that you go for a UPS by APC as it is much better than other brands even though you have to pay a bit more for it.

OP
U

unsetld

Broken In
there's no 250GB Black edition HDD - it starts from 500GB ( WD5001AALS )

for the mobo flash drive and UPS don't need any kind of compatibily with the mobo but to use a sata 3 HDD you may need to update the mobo bios.

thanks all of you for your valuable advices

@topgear: is it a very technical stuff for updating a mobo bios,?can you tell me how to do that. :)

if i update mobo bios is it sure that the wdc blue/black series hdd will work with my mobo
this is my mobo bios version according pcwizard 2010 (GC11010N.86A.0311.2006.0420.1525) and dmi version is 2.3

thanks again all of you :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
thanks all of you for your valuable advices

@topgear: is it a very technical stuff for updating a mobo bios,?can you tell me how to do that. :)

if i update mobo bios is it sure that the wdc blue/black series hdd will work with my mobo
this is my mobo bios version according pcwizard 2010 (GC11010N.86A.0311.2006.0420.1525) and dmi version is 2.3

thanks again all of you :)

take a look at the above post.

get the HDD and if it works well then you have to do nothing but if the HDD is not detecting or the system hangs at bios screen then only think of Bios update.

Sujeet

Undead!!!
^^What??
Do you mean Dual Boot your Current OS with Chrome OS loaded on 8GB USB drive??Actually That should be Called Live OS. since you are booting it from a USB drive.Anyway
In Case:Live OS
Grab This USB Disk Image OF Latest Chromiun OS Build:*getchrome.eu/download.php
Get Tuxboot and burn image to USB drive .
Boot from it and you are done.
Check out:*lifehacker.com/5411137/how-to-run-google-chrome-os-from-a-thumb-drive
For: Dual Boot Chrome With Windows 7 from HDD:
Perfect Guide:*techpp.com/2011/10/11/how-to-dual-boot-chromium-os-with-windows/

no need to update bios for a normal HDD.updating bios should always be the last resort.
Well said.!:thumbs:

Last edited:

Kayzlegend

Right off the assembly line
USB live OSes boot

^^What??
Do you mean Dual Boot your Current OS with Chrome OS loaded on 8GB USB drive??Actually That should be Called Live OS. since you are booting it from a USB drive.Anyway
In Case:Live OS
Grab This USB Disk Image OF Latest Chromiun OS Build:Download Chrome OS Linux
Get Tuxboot and burn image to USB drive .
Boot from it and you are done.
Check out:How to Run Google Chrome OS from a Thumb Drive
For: Dual Boot Chrome With Windows 7 from HDD:
Perfect Guide:[How to] Dual Boot Chromium OS with Windows - chrome, chrome os, Chrome OS on Windows, Chromium, chromium os, Chromium OS on Windows, cloud, dual boot, guide, how to, windows - Technically Personal!

Well said.!:thumbs:

Rephrasing....
Can i do a USB dual boot with two live OSes?
that is dual boot in a pendrive??
like running windows and linux of the same system( selecting the os when turning on....)
can i boot like that with meego and chrome os but instead of hdd with an 8gb usb????

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: USB live OSes boot

Rephrasing....
Can i do a USB dual boot with two live OSes?
that is dual boot in a pendrive??
like running windows and linux of the same system( selecting the os when turning on....)
can i boot like that with meego and chrome os but instead of hdd with an 8gb usb????

yep, you can but you need to have two partitions on the USB pen drive ;-)

Sujeet

Undead!!!
lol..multi partitiong a usb drive aint a good idea and i wonder if its actually possible. Consider getting two usb drives for separate os;chrome and meego....and ya you can boot meego same way as chrome os.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ if one really needs then it can be done - I've personally tested it long ago on a flash voyager ;-)

Create separate partitions on your Corsair USB flash drive « Corsair Blog

Top Bottom