Hard Drive making weird sound!!

deepakgates

Broken In
ive bought this Seagate Expansion External Drive 1 TB last year, but now its making a weird sound and then stops. is this repairable and what could be the problem.
Here is the link to sound it makes
Record001.mp3

aloodum

Journeyman
^^ sorry could not hear the sound piece.

But assuming its a clicking/clackety sound, it indicates that ur drive maybe on a dying road.
Firstly, take immediate backup of the data you need.

Secondly download the Seagate Seacare utility from Segate's site.This utility will help in diagnosis and error detection.

OP
deepakgates

deepakgates

Broken In
no its not clicking i know about click of death and its not that, other thing is windows cannot even detect my HD . and is there a problem with sound file. isn't it loud enough??

aloodum

Journeyman
^^^ no nothing to do with loudness. :) .simply cant download the file for some issues .

offcourse it may be repaired, at seagate end :)
RMA doesnt say it will provide you with a new drive always, if it can be repaired u`ll have the recertified badge on it .

But if i can address your fear- the loss of data-- that will happen. Unless the RMA centre offers data retrieval option, not sure but will be costly even if they did.

So start taking the backup

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
hard disks can't be repaired in local shops.try in a laptop/other laptop usb2.0 port(with mains power on not laptop battery).

OP
deepakgates

deepakgates

Broken In
now other problem seagate RMA says i have to return in a special packaging or my warrenty will be void :

Use original packaging when possible.
-Enclose each drive in a SeaShell container or an ESD (electrostatic) bag. If packaging more then one drive, use a separate container for each drive.
-Enclose the static-protected drive(s) in 2-inch foam rubber in a corrugated box. Multiple drives in a single box must have foam rubber between each drive. DO NOT USE foam, packing pellets, bubble wrap, or newspaper.
- Warranty is void if the Seagate cover or top cover, or any seal or label is removed or damaged, if it improperly packaged, or if the drive experiences shock in excess of its Gs rating.

WTF . now where will i get these stuff

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
those instructions are for internal hard disks i think.you can use the original expansion packing if you still got it.also if you can afford going to seagate service center(they are present in major cities,check site for more info) that would be best.

aloodum

Journeyman
^^^ the ESD bag coming back again to haunt users ? :)

I guess not...At one point AccelFrontline demanded the packaging, but after a lot f hue and cry they finally came down

Fill up the form at accels's site for online registration. Then on the day of ur visit, just carry the Form No/User Registration Number/A printout of the form if ur facing idiots behind the desk, and the HDD, not even the usb wire...

Top Bottom