Hard disk vibration

blca05

Right off the assembly line
The vibration started a couple of weeks back. It starts at boot up and continues. Temperatures are normal 28-30 degrees.

Physically touching it, its vibrating a good bit.

The vibration is so bad, I can feel it on the case, desk and keyboard.

Its a WD 500GB SATA3 bought in July.

Could it be heading for failure?

OP
B

blca05

I think I posted in the wrong section before. :-D

The vibration started a couple of weeks back. It starts at boot up and continues. Temperatures are normal 28-30 degrees.

Physically touching it, its vibrating a good bit.

The vibration is so bad, I can feel it on the case, desk and keyboard.

Its a WD 500GB SATA3 bought in July.

Could it be heading for failure? Can I get a replacement?

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
send it for RMA. Seems like it has gone kaput. You should receive a proper replacement. Also do a chkdsk from command prompt to check for bad sectors.

OP
B

blca05

send it for RMA. Seems like it has gone kaput. You should receive a proper replacement. Also do a chkdsk from command prompt to check for bad sectors.

Thanks for replying.

I ran the WD diagnostics tool. The quick test reported no errors.

I also ran the error checking under properties which also yielded no errors.

CA50

Cyborg Agent
@blca05, check the screws used to fix the HDD to the chassis. Lossed screws might produce more vibration.

HDD do vibrate due to moving parts inside it. you can attach rubber pads in between the HDD and the chassis, that will reduce the vibration to minimal. Also check the SMART status using HDD monitoring tools like HD tune.

OP
B

blca05

apply for WD RMA. its better to be safe than sorry. let WD test & fix your drive.

there are no bad sectors just horrible vibration.

*i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu271/harsham05/4.png

*i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu271/harsham05/3.png

*i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu271/harsham05/2.png

*i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu271/harsham05/1.png

Scan your HDD using HDtune & post the screenshot of the result here.

@blca05, check the screws used to fix the HDD to the chassis. Lossed screws might produce more vibration.

HDD do vibrate due to moving parts inside it. you can attach rubber pads in between the HDD and the chassis, that will reduce the vibration to minimal. Also check the SMART status using HDD monitoring tools like HD tune.

Im using a screw less or tool less mount.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
you can still apply for RMA. hard drive vibrates a bit. but first check if the mount is loose. if you can install HDD in the floppy are of your system & check if the vibration gets low. even i am using a tool less mount & there is absolutely no vibration.

OP
B

blca05

you can still apply for RMA. hard drive vibrates a bit. but first check if the mount is loose. if you can install HDD in the floppy are of your system & check if the vibration gets low. even i am using a tool less mount & there is absolutely no vibration.

the mount is secured.

The spacing between the screws for the HDD mount is larger than that for the floppy mount. Im using a Elite 430.

Hence I cant use the floppy area.

The vibration started a few weeks ago.

CA50

Cyborg Agent
@blca05, from the screenshot the bad sector is not clear?

Either post a screenshot of the 'health' tab or of the 'Error scan' tab, but don't click on the "speed map" button

Either post a screenshot of the 'health' tab or of the 'Error scan' tab, but don't click on the "speed map" button

OP
B

blca05

*i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu271/harsham05/Untitled.png

Top Bottom