Hard Disk Seems Dead - Any way to revive and recover data?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, the title says it all. My Seagate 2TB Green seems dead. Everything was fine till last night, but today all it is doing is giving some beeps and clicking sounds. The disk is not spinning after the sounds are over and not getting recognized any time even in BIOS. There was no system lock-up (it was not the boot drive) when it went kaput. Tested with a dock with no luck.

Drive is under warranty.

Question is, is there any way to revive it so that I can recover the data?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
shake the HDD. sometimes it just starts working again but if the platters are not jammed (motor gone bad) then chances are really slim it'll work. this is the 3rd time i heard about problem with WDC green. i also my green replaced.

OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Will it work at all? Heard a lot about it, but rarely seen it as a serious recommendation. And more than anything else, what about the warranty?

Any help guys?

katiyar_v

Right off the assembly line
i also agree with it that after freezing the disk in freezer for 2-3 hours ,the disk's life get back to the user,but before putting it into freezer just wrap it into antistatic plastic cover after ward wrap it from all way in piece of cotton cloth and after ward freeze it.after taking out from freeze try not to use it immediately just wait for half n hour or till the disk not come at room temperature.after but use it n firstly backup all data in it and after try to replace that if it is under warranty..reply what happen to know me too

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
first time heard about freezing a hdd !!!

@skud, even if it works backup everything and test it extensively. even little sign of defect, send it.

OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have heard a lot about the freezer method but really doubt its efficacy, and there's too much debate on that. Anyway, I think I will straightaway go for RMA. Too much tension for a single important file.

Hah, just a couple of days ago I was wondering what to do with 2 internet connections and now I have to download all the games once again. Steam, Gamergate, GetGamesGo, GOG, IR, HIB and others - here I come. ;)

dr.rdb

Broken In
I have 160GB hitachi hdd with a history of fall and it went wrong.

I am asking if anyone knows the price for data recovery of around 50GB from this hdd.

mariner_5147

Broken In
I can vouch for the freezing HDD method. Have tried it out on three of my own disks, two internal one portable. Recently did one for a friend of mine, 500 GB WD portable. Worth giving it a shot for sure!! However its a one time solution for data recovery as the HDD went to the bin after that, for u to the dealer.

OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can you tell me the exact method and precautions I need to take?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ look at post no. 6

@ dr.rdb - for professional data recovery contact :
Data Recovery Services in India for Hard Disk, Server, File - Data Recovery Services

mariner_5147

Broken In
Can you tell me the exact method and precautions I need to take?

Pack it in a plastic or anti-static bag and air tight it. Put it in the deep-freezer for about an hour or two. Take it out and then out of the bag, careful not to get the moisture into the HDD. I don't give it much time to thaw before I plug it in, cause that may form moisture droplets on the disk. So plug it in and then hope that the PC recognize it. If yes then transfer the data as quickly as possible.

NIGHTMARE

ANGEL OF DEATH
Pack it in a plastic or anti-static bag and air tight it. Put it in the deep-freezer for about an hour or two. Take it out and then out of the bag, careful not to get the moisture into the HDD. I don't give it much time to thaw before I plug it in, cause that may form moisture droplets on the disk. So plug it in and then hope that the PC recognize it. If yes then transfer the data as quickly as possible.

+1. Well works for me. Prefer A.C room, if possible.

anandharaja

In the zone
@ Skud Check this Video Repair Dead Hard Disk Drives - YouTube
if its under warranty don't try. you have any HDD without warranty try this method, in case of success share with here.

OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will go for RMA straightaway. Too big a risk to take with a drive under warranty.

Thanks everyone for their inputs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom