Hard disk problem ......unable to format...

sid_gupta

Broken In
I have a dell xps 15 laptop...... I dnt knw wat happend bt it's not working....
I tried to format it by re-installing windows bt no partions are visible during the setup i.e it is not detecting my hard disk....
I tried again with linux bt same problem again....
So what should i do??????

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
if in warranty contact dell support & they will re-install the genuine windows which came pre-installed with the laptop.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
if your hdd partitions somehow changed to dynamic(it happens) & your hdd is set to AHCI(sata mode) in bios then xp can't see hdd & windows 7 can't see dynamic partitions.in your bios setting change hdd mode(or something like that) to ide so that xp can see hdd & then use xp pro boot cd to format dynamic partitions back to basic partition & then windows 7 can see the partitions.

aloodum

Journeyman
I suspect your drive is dying one you or maybe the first few blocks are bad..
Try some of the disk formatting/disk repair utillities that allow creation of bootable usb/dvd options.
Once booted up check for overall drive health and check for file structure related errors and if the same can be repaired .

I dont remeber all the names of the better utilities out there, but for basic checks the seagate seatools is a good option. I`ll try to add some more names later, specially the ones that actually help in correcting file strtures/restoring lost partions.

Cheers!!

Flash

Lost in speed
I guess, its because of the Basic/Dynamic disk problem, not of the bad sectors.
Check whether the Option#2 & #3 in the below link is of any help.

*www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/26829-convert-dynamic-disk-basic-disk.html

Top Bottom