hard disk problem- geforce4

Status
Not open for further replies.

geforce4

Broken In
hi,
i got a segate hard disk of 40 gb, a few days ago i uninstalled windows xp (which was at that time upgraded over 98se) and then i formated 98 se by rebooting 98se in dos mode. as my cd rom has lived it's life i have a copy of 98se on my hard disk from which i perform new installations after formatting. when i ran the 98se setup through dos mode , after checking the registry it said "writing to c error" and then setup won't initialize. after repeatedly getting the error, i cudn't think of anything else to do, then fdisk. so after painstakingly fdisking my hard disk i tried to install winxp from a bootable disk and with a cd rom i brought from a friend. even then after checking the registry it said "writing to c error", the same happened with 98 se bootable also. frusterated with my efforts i took the hard disk to a hardware store and "boom" they fixed it up !!!. and took 100 bucks off me. when i asked them how they did it...they won't tell me. except something that the primary data areas were damaged or something like that. can anybody tell me what they did and how they did it, so that the next time it happens i am ready for it.

rachitar

Journeyman
Looks like it was a hardware problem,you wont be able to fix it even if it happens in the future
On the other hand it could have been there were bad sectors on the 1st few sectors of the HDD and thats where the OS is installed and they would have filled it/marked it so that the OS doesnt try to install there
Search for "fix bad sectors" on the forum,you will get some softwares which will 'fix' i.e. avoid bad sectors on the HDD for data storage

choudang

Padawan
don't worry ... try to install WIN98 in dos like this

x:\>seup -is it won't check the HDD...

*services.nexodyne.com/email/icon/Q0uQGVutrP05jChumhiS/A%2BgIgdQ%3D/R01haWw%3D/0/image.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom