Hard Disk Overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

VexByte

Norms Buster
I'm having a Samsung SATA 80 GB Hard Disk running on an ASUS MB with an AMD Sempron 1.83 Ghz. I tested the temperature of the HD with softwares which supports S.M.A.R.T.

At the beginning the temperature is in the league of 36 degree celsius but after using some office apps or not too disk intensive apps, the temperature rises to about 52 degree celsius within an hour. :mad:

Is this because the HD is faulty ? The 2 fans inside the cabinet are working properly without any obstructions. The HD is 3 years old and very sparingly used.

I'm having another computer with almost identical config in the same room with a PATA HDD. There is no overheating problem with that HD.

Should I replace the HD ? :shock:

mrintech

Technomancer
Use anyone of the utility mentioned in this post: *mrintech.com/3-best-utilities-to-monitor-your-hard-disk-health-at-its-best - It will give you warning if there's any future Hard Drive Failure

Make sure Air-Flow is good, clean internal dirt and cable clutter. When you are working on office suits, exit all other softwares which are running in the memory/taskbar. See what happens....

OP
V

VexByte

Norms Buster
Use anyone of the utility mentioned in this post: *mrintech.com/3-best-utilities-to-monitor-your-hard-disk-health-at-its-best - It will give you warning if there's any future Hard Drive Failure

Make sure Air-Flow is good, clean internal dirt and cable clutter. When you are working on office suits, exit all other softwares which are running in the memory/taskbar. See what happens....
I had visited your link before. Also used the same utility.

Air flow is not too bad, I assume.

Cleaned the internal dirt & there is no cable clutter. :confused:

zyberboy

dá ûnrêäl Kiñg
Add another fan to da front of cabinet such that it will blow air directly to the HDD,it will solve the overheating problem.

zyberboy

dá ûnrêäl Kiñg
chk ur cabinet if fan mounting holes r there at the front by removing the side panel,if yes then its easy,buy a 80mm case fan.otherwise u will need to make a custom hdd cooler.

OP
V

VexByte

Norms Buster
chk ur cabinet if fan mounting holes r there at the front by removing the side panel,if yes then its easy,buy a 80mm case fan.otherwise u will need to make a custom hdd cooler.
So are you saying that it's solely because of the lack on ventilation, the HD is overheating ? And, not because of any HD problem ?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Once I had this kind of prob. added a front 80mm fan ( rs. 40 ) & the problem vanished.

OP
V

VexByte

Norms Buster
I kept the cabinet open and worked for less that 1 hour. But, even then the temp was 52 degree Celsius.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom