Hard disk fails after 15 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

samanvya_ad

Broken In
hi all,
I have a strange problem. i have 2 hard disks 160 GB sata2 + 200 GB PATA... the problem is that when i start the computer then everytime both hard disk work fine for first few minutes then after around 15-20 minutes my computer hangs for 1 second and then my 200 GB PATA HDD just disappears from my computer.. i use vista ultimate...

there is no data loss.. data is secure just that i have to restart the computer and the 200 gb drive gets detected again... but after 15-20 mins it disappears again...

i am usin vistag ultimate and since late vista used to give me warning regarding hard disk failures and to back up my data... i did many scans by many softwares there was never any error found...

there is one strange thing i noticed... if i am using the 200 gb drive for lighter purpose like listening to songs stored on that drive or watching movie then it never disappears.. but if i leave this drive inactive for some time it disappears or i play any game or start watching movie (which are stored on other drive) in full screen then the 200 gb drvie disappears....

also since past few months it used to make some strange noise (chyk-chyk-chyk-chyk-chyk after every 2-3 seconds)
But now no such noise comes... but it disappears...
config:
AMD X2 3600+
ASUS A8NE
2 x 1GB RAM
asus 6600GT 256 MB
160 gb sata2 + 200 gb PATA
Asus DVD writer
400 W Cooler master power suply
600 VA APC UPS

pleease
please help

Last edited:

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Looks like some kind of hardware connection problems. Check hardware sockets. Also scan the HDD using a good antivirus software.

OP
S

samanvya_ad

Broken In
i clean formatted it and then checked it by AVG, and Panda
and also checked it for bad sectors by scandisk, tune up and few other softwares...

no problem was found...
i have scanned whole computer and no viruses were found...

its not just my computer .. i tried the same hard disk on my friend's comp and there also it just disappeared after 15-20 minutes..

i bought a new smps of cooler master thinking that it was due to lose n old power connectors but still same problem.. i have also tried changing the data cables.. but nothing happened...

as a matter of fact i have kept around 20 mb of data on that hard disk to see if there is any data loss....

though the hard disk diasappears every now n then but never ever it loses data.. it seems as if it automatically switches itself off or uninstalls itself....

vish786 said:
change ur sata slot and recheck

i tried changing slots of not just PATA but also the SATA drive which works absolutely fine.... but this 200 gb drive fails even on my frnds comp...

so this means there is something wrong in the drive itself....

Please Help Me....

Last edited:

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
open system cabinet..........
and start your computer-->>wait till ur hard disk fails.
When computer fails to detect your hard disk-->>touch the hard disk with some clothes.Feel , is there any vibration in the hard disk or the hard disk is dead.

vish786

"The Gentleman"
samanvya_ad said:
Please Help Me....
k.. let me tell u, their can be various reasons, i'm listing few... u should check them all...

like u said the prob still persists in ur friends com also ? right...
so ur motherbroad is not at all fualty.

if u really dont hav that important data on ur hdd then...
accordingly check whether ur paritition tables r correct.
or delete all the partitions totally, keep it like its brand new hdd without any partition... and now download seagate for dos(download iso image and burn that on disc & boot thru this disc) after booting perform "short test" and "long test" in seatools... it will check ur hdd.

or else make this hdd as primary after installin winxp in this and use it for some while and make the other as slave... and c whether prob still persists

OP
S

samanvya_ad

Broken In
ravi_9793 said:
open system cabinet..........
and start your computer-->>wait till ur hard disk fails.
When computer fails to detect your hard disk-->>touch the hard disk with some clothes.Feel , is there any vibration in the hard disk or the hard disk is dead.

i already tried that... there are vibrations in hard disk indicating that it is alive n power is going to it properly...

vish786 said:
k.. let me tell u, their can be various reasons, i'm listing few... u should check them all...

like u said the prob still persists in ur friends com also ? right...
so ur motherbroad is not at all fualty.

if u really dont hav that important data on ur hdd then...
accordingly check whether ur paritition tables r correct.
or delete all the partitions totally, keep it like its brand new hdd without any partition... and now download seagate for dos(download iso image and burn that on disc & boot thru this disc) after booting perform "short test" and "long test" in seatools... it will check ur hdd.

or else make this hdd as primary after installin winxp in this and use it for some while and make the other as slave... and c whether prob still persists

thanks but i said i clear formatted it... i tried re partitions.. and also removing all partitions... even tried making 18 partitions of 10 gb each... that is that i tried everything and i have already checked it with segate for dos.. nothing found.. no bad sectors n no errors were reported...

but scandisk of windows vista sometimes gives that "few errors were found and they have been resolved"

i will try installing xp on it ...

Last edited:

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
Than it looks like faulty hard disk.Try with another hard disk..and I am sure , that will work fine on ur system

OP
S

samanvya_ad

Broken In
he he

ya it is a faulty hard disk but as u all are, even i am a tech freek who just wants to know more n more abt his comp..

it is in warranty n will get replaced... but then that is not why most of us visit this forum for.. here we learn to troubleshoot...

vish786

"The Gentleman"
samanvya_ad said:
it is in warranty n will get replaced... but then that is not why most of us visit this forum for.. here we learn to troubleshoot...

its still in warranty, and u knew tat it was faulty:mad:... this is really pissing me off :mad:... :mad:

OP
S

samanvya_ad

Broken In
vish786 said:
its still in warranty, and u knew tat it was faulty:mad:... this is really pissing me off :mad:... :mad:

why is this pissing u off...

common man if the hard disk is giving ssame problem on 2 comps then definately it is the hard disk that is faulty... its common sense...

i just want to know what is wrong with it and how to correct this problem...

so anyone..
pls suggest something..

Last edited:

gulgulumaal

Broken In
samanvya_ad said:
why is this pissing u off...

common man if the hard disk is giving ssame problem on 2 comps then definately it is the hard disk that is faulty... its common sense...

i just want to know what is wrong with it and how to correct this problem...

so anyone..
pls suggest something..

I'll tell u why it's pissing him off. :) In your original post, you said ur hard disk is failing and to quote ur own words " pleease please help".

And now u r saying that u know the HD is faulty and it will be replaced under warranty anyway.

If u were just curious to know what could be wrong, you could have posted it that way. Even then I'm sure people would give their inputs

BTW if it is under warranty, dont try to fix it urself. Definitely sounds like a hardware problem. Even if u r able to fix it now, the problem might return. Just go ahead replace it under warranty.

OP
S

samanvya_ad

Broken In
ya i went to them..
there are 2 reasons why i need to know whats wrong..

1. cos i am curious..
2. segate ppl said its gonna take minimum 60 days to get it replaced and minimum 60 days if we want another repaired hard disk in lieu of it... as any knid of hard disks are out of stock for purpose of warranty...

blacklight

Journeyman
hey ,just curious , could you try this out ?
Have you enabled SMART option (for hdd ) in bios ?? if its OFF , turn it ON and tell me
if you get any warnings/errors while your PC boots up

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
This thread seems to have a similar problem in discussion and the guy's MoBo was at fault. (Or maybe, if there is an IDE Controller Update available for your MoBo, install it)

OP
S

samanvya_ad

Broken In
SMART was disabled.. i enabled it and it gave me an error in post screen that hard disk failure is eminent and back up ur data...

i read that post in other forum... thanks for that bro...
the guy said clearly that he changed the mobo still problem remained.....

i have already said that the hard disk failed on other peoples mobo also....

so...
someone pls...

Last edited:

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
I too had a problem pretty similar to what you said with my WD 250GB SATA HDD...
I got my HDD replaced and since then havent faced the problem..
BTW Which company is you HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom