Half Life 2 audio stutterring

Status
Not open for further replies.

borg

In the zone
Man I'm having a hard time. There is a lot of audio stuttering in the game. Especially happens when a new level is loaded. Never happenned while playing Doom 3. My config is Athlon XP 2000+ , 640 MB RAM , 40 gig HDD , Creative SB live 24 bit sound card. I checked on the net. It seems this is a comman problem. Any patches or fixes for this thing?.

G

gxsaurav

if U have the real version of Half Life 2 then use steam to autoupdate, it is fixed

OP
B

borg

In the zone
Yes I do have an original copy of HL2 . I think the steam service automatically updates the games & I remember that it did. Don't know why it hasn't solved the problem. Will try again.

OP
B

borg

In the zone
an I defraggd my HDD, the problem seems to have reduced, but not completely gone. What the hell is this man?. HL2 was supposed to be easy on ur system but the story is completely reverse. Doom 3 played so well, what happened to this HL2???. I have an ATI card, shouldn't it work better than D3?.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
have u tried changing hardware sound acceleration settings in dxdiag ? try using diff settings . Check for updated sound card drivers and if ur able to run hl2 in window mode ( i havent played hl2 yet ) , try to run task manager and see if any other app shoots up to 99% or very high CPU process value

OP
B

borg

In the zone
Man, this steam is absolute crap. What the hell do they want to do. It has completely taken over my computer :evil: . It starts up everytime I start my PC & if I am not connected , it gives me an error message. What the hell is this ?????. Its completely ruining the entire HL2 experience. Why the hell should we buy originals when they are crap such as this???. When the cracked versions are better!!!. Atleast don't have to contend with this sh*t they call steam.

gamefreak14

Journeyman
Suggested Solutions
The following suggestions come from Gary McTaggart and Erik Johnson at Valve, and from users in various forum posts. While some of these suggestions have improved the situation for some people, none of these suggestions eliminate the problem entirely.
From Valve: Set snd_async_fullyasync to 1 in the console or config file.
From Valve: Lower in-game texture detail and/or sound detail.
Set the -heapsize launch option to half your total RAM. For example, if you have 1 GB of RAM, add the launch option -heapsize 512000. People have also tried other values with limited sucess.
Run dxdiag and lower sound hardware acceleration.
If you are running the 5.1 or 4 speaker settings in Half-Life 2, change the setting to 2 speakers.
Set the snd_mixahead option to various values (0.4, 0.5, 1, 0).
Set cl_forcepreload to 1 and sv_forcepreload to 1.
Set cl_smooth to 0.
Defragment your hard drive.
Diable virus protection applications.
Increase AGP aperture setting in your motherboard's BIOS.
Use ffdshow to disable third-party MP3 CODECs.
Uninstall various third-party CODEC packs.
Remove Half-Life 2 completely and redownload or reinstall it.
To prevent auto-saving, mark the following files as read-only in the hl2\SAVE folder: autosave01.sav, autosave01.tga, autosave.sav, autosave.tga.
Install Omegadrive's modified drivers (Omega Drivers) for NVIDIA and ATI video cards.

Source:
Code:
*www.blep.net/hl2stutter/

The "heapsize" extension to my shortcut did the trick for me. Go thru the site and have fun!
Regarding Steam, there is a fully functional emulator out there. Once they find out, you are banned for life. Use at your own risk.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
borg said:
Man, this steam is absolute ****. What the hell do they want to do. It has completely taken over my computer :evil: . It starts up everytime I start my PC & if I am not connected , it gives me an error message. What the hell is this ?????. Its completely ruining the entire HL2 experience. Why the hell should we buy originals when they are **** such as this???. When the cracked versions are better!!!. Atleast don't have to contend with this sh*t they call steam.

well thats where steam is a major sucker both in terms of installation and updates and other aspects....their Installation and updating patterns are a big pain....specially for the HL2 steam validation procedure they have overdone its protection issues.....but then again pirated aint all that good too....cause where there is a pro there is bound to be a con....hene where there is no steam validation reqd in pirated edition there it lacks out in the retail availibilty of CS:source and Hl2 deathmatch Packages....plus the very usualy AI disabled and Node Graph errors and crashing issues too surround it (though fixes are released) and as well tend to ruin the true fun of playin the game.....so cant blame anyone here pal..... :wink:

ctrl_alt_del

A Year Closer To Heaven
Something that I found when I googled it:

Audio Stuttering: Most users of Half Life 2 (myself included) are experiencing small pauses or "stutters" when playing the game, regardless of their hardware and/or settings. It usually manifests itself as skipping or stuttering audio, but that is just the symptom of the problem. The actual issue revolves around the way it is continually loading chunks of texture information on the fly into Video RAM - such as when you walk around a corner into a new area, or see a new creature - the audio pauses or skips at the same time. Let me be clear though: it's not actually an audio issue, it's a general game engine issue. The history of this issue is covered in great detail here: Half Life 2 Stuttering. Valve have released two major updates which deal with this issue. You can download these updates automatically through Steam (See the Steam section on page 4 for details). You should allow Steam to all available updates as soon as possible by restarting Steam when online.

Unfortunately all "stuttering fixes" released by Valve so far have not helped completely resolve the issue for the majority of those with this problem. This guide has a range of settings and optimization tips which help address this stuttering, as well as cutting down loading times, so if the official Valve fixes don't help you the tips in this guide should help reduce stuttering.

source: *www.tweakguides.com/HL2_3.html

On an intresting aside, some one suggested reverting to the on-board sound card if you have one. Give it a try while playing HL2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom