Hack: Tabs in Yahoo! Messenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
Hack: Tabs in Yahoo! Messenger (Updated Feb 26 - A new tool)

As you may have seen in the preview of Yahoo! Messenger for Windows Vista, tabbed IM windows are coming soon. This feature lets group multiple conversations into one IM window and use tabs to navigate among them.As it turns out, there are several hidden features that are built into Yahoo! Messenger, which can be turned on with changes to the Windows registry settings. One of our Messenger engineers, Hung Nguyen, developed some code that when installed, adds tabs to Yahoo! Messenger 8.1 (on Windows XP).

To try it out, first close all the IM windows you have open. Then click the “Turn ON tabs in Yahoo! Messenger” link below. When the download window appears, click the “Run” button and follow the on-screen instructions to install it. The next time you’re in two or more IM conversations at the same time, you’ll see the tabs in action. To close a tab, just right click on it.

Turn ON tabs in Yahoo! Messenger 8.1
Turn OFF tabs in Yahoo! Messenger 8.1

Keep in mind this is a hack for Yahoo! Messenger that has not been exhaustively tested. There are some challenges with it so if you want to remove it, click the “Turn OFF tabs in Yahoo! Messenger” link above to download and run the .reg file (Yahoo! Messenger does not need to be running to remove it). I did experience some display issues with my IM windows initially, but a click and drag of the bottom right corner of my IM window corrected it.
Thanks to Hung for creating this and to our friends at WackyB for first making this available for download.

*blog.messenger.yahoo.com/images/tabs.jpg

Cool Man!!! Will be so helpful to reduce the clutter onscreen when chatting with so many people :)

Source : Yahoo Messenger Blog

Update utility for Yahoo Messenger Tabbed IM windows

Problems with the current tabbed IM chat windows for Yahoo Messenger make it almost impossible to use: *www.wackyb.co.nz/vb/images/smilies/mazeguy/muted.gif
  • You have to have a IM window open to receive new IM messages
  • You dont know which tab has sent you a new message
  • you dont know if any new messages have been received if the Tab IM window has focus
  • You have to resize the window each time a new message tab is opened
  • Changing and closing tabs does not change the window title
  • You have to run a reg file to enable/disable each time
WackyB-IMTab-Fix solves all these problems:
  • Enables tabbed IM windows when you start WackyB-IMTabFix
  • Disables tabbed IM windows when you close
  • New IM windows are displayed correctly
  • Notification is given in window title when new message received
  • Sound alert with new IM from hidden tab
  • Changing tabs updates window title
  • First IM received displays correctly
** IF YOU DONT RUN THIS UTILITY AND IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A TABBED IM WINDOW OPEN YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE NEW IM MESSAGES! ** *www.wackyb.co.nz/vb/images/smilies/eek.gif

*www.wackyb.net/utils/TabFix_2.gif

*www.wackyb.net/utils/TabFix_3.gif

Download

* Some users may receive an error/warning during install, simply click 'OK' to ignore this.

2) Install and run from you start menu. *www.wackyb.co.nz/vb/images/smilies/mazeguy/wave.gif

Note: Ensure ALL IM windows are closed BEFORE starting WackyB-TabIM-Fix
WackyB-TabIM-Fix runs in the background taking care of your tabs, to exit click the icon in your system tray

Source

Last edited:
OP
alsiladka

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
Tech Geek said:
when i click on links they show some registry thingy????

Yes, it is a Registry tweak which enables tabs in yahoo messenger.
But it was extremely problematic.

Here is a new tool by the same guy, which is better and solves all those problems.

It is an application which you should run along with the messenger.

You can find details over here :
*www.wackyb.co.nz/vb/showthread.php?p=1471

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
hey..I am facing problem in yahoo after installing it.Now I cannot see any incoming message...I can only listen sound of incoming msg.

OP
alsiladka

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
ravi_9793 said:
hey..I am facing problem in yahoo after installing it.Now I cannot see any incoming message...I can only listen sound of incoming msg.

Ya, that is a known problem. Read the first post. the hack has been updated using a tool. Now it works like a charm and looks proffessional too!!

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
alsiladka said:
Ya, that is a known problem. Read the first post. the hack has been updated using a tool. Now it works like a charm and looks proffessional too!!

thanks dude....I m gonna try again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom