Guys which one t choose DELL STUDIO or HP Pavilion.........?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bishnoi_rocks

Right off the assembly line
Hi Fellas..

I m planning to purchase a Laptop for general use, like education, net surfing, movies, music n moderate gaming.

After checking the hardware configs n prices i am confused between DELL STUDIO n HP Pavilion 1241 TX. They have almost the same prices, DELL have slightly bigger screen (15.4) den HP (14.1).

What is the differnce between the performance of these models..?

Plz help me to choose the best one, on the basis of performance..?

acewin

Point Blanc
:sad: What problems?

its not for dv5 series but tx series and the problem is faulty nVidia chipset.
I see alot many models other than tx series which are very good n working fine.

I do remeber u had bought dv5-1015tx, it was quiet a good model and I have not heard any chipset issues in it, but many people have said models with nVidia chipset have problem 1015tx is as far as I know PM45, i.e intel chipset.

They never launched any model with good price and specs after that in here in India

Have a look into this *www.mycheaplaptop.net/2009/03/never-buy-hp-laptop/

Last edited:

Ankit

Journeyman
For quality of product.. HP is better than Dell.. My personal experience...
For Quality of after sell service.. I've heard Dell is better....
And don't look too much in to screen size of Dell, they may have lesser area then Hp and still more diagonal size... I've seen 15.6" Dell inspiron and studio and they look very small because of less height...

unni

In the zone
Thanks acewin. I haven't faced any major problems with it so far except the following :):
a. Battery life seems to have reduced to 30-45 minutes.
b. 2-3 months ago, it started showing flickering in the screen. This would happen within a second, and do not cause any problems with viewing in any way. This happen may be once a day.
c. 2 weeks ago, some cable or something seem to have become loose. Rarely, I see horizontal lines (narrow) moving from top to bottom of the screen. I give a small knock and it is gone.:)

Considering that it's been 9 months now and that it has been on more than 70% of the time, I guess its ok. I hope that problem b is not related to nVidia issue.

acewin

Point Blanc
well its not actually chipset issue but a general laptop build issue I will say. Battery life certainly dips after long usage and its already 9 months for ur lappy.
Flickering and all, u need to get it checked from HP support, its under warranty, it would be always best u get to know what problems u r getting before that warranty expires.

PM45 is stable chipset for lappys, is ur lappy getting heated alot even in normal usage. The heat can cause damage to the chipset(mobo and eventually will show up on screen and different places., have u got a laptop cooler if not then buy one.

Also it will be wise if you get the dust which wud have accumulated through the heat vent cleaned up

unni

In the zone
well its not actually chipset issue but a general laptop build issue I will say. Battery life certainly dips after long usage and its already 9 months for ur lappy.
I was also not considering the degradation in battery life to be a problem with the laptop, rather with my usage.
Flickering and all, u need to get it checked from HP support, its under warranty, it would be always best u get to know what problems u r getting before that warranty expires.
PM45 is stable chipset for lappys, is ur lappy getting heated alot even in normal usage. The heat can cause damage to the chipset(mobo and eventually will show up on screen and different places., have u got a laptop cooler if not then buy one.
Also it will be wise if you get the dust which wud have accumulated through the heat vent cleaned up
I was also thinking about taking it to service center. But the issue is how I show them, since this fllickering occurs rarely and totally random. Under normal operation (browsing, movies etc.), CPU temp is 50-60 degrees and GPU is 65. While defragmenting, CPU goes to 70-75, GPU @ 65. While gaming, within 30-40 minutes, it goes above 90. I will check once again today. I am in office right now.

I have a laptop stand (iBall's) with a USB fan. Will that be enough?

I will take it to service center this Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom