Status
Not open for further replies.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
Hi guys, I want to learn guitar (Electric) and need advice from you.

First of all, I plan to learn playing it on my own by reffering to articles and videos on net. Is it a good idea ? I dont have any good tutors here. I do have one tutor in my school but he only teaches Acoustic :(.

Second, is it a wise choice to directly start with electric or should I first learn Acoustic guitar ??

Third, which guitar to buy ?? Budget is around 8-9k and after I learn it, I will buy a good guitar (Heritage Elite Guitar with Spider Series 6 Amps bcoz it comes with a Slipknot preset :D).

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Learning music needs a Guru..........u can't learn everything from the videos and ebooks............

And u r talking about learning directly Electric..........not accoustic.........
theres two type of guitar one is Bass guitar(with 4 strings........listen it in starting of Summer OF 69......or St. Anger) and Lead guitar(all guitar solos.....at max).........all these can be electric or non-electric.............d diff. is that, in electric guitar we use amp. where u don't have 2 strum that hard to get the desired sound..........and bass guitar sounds good in amp.......

Acoustic is like base of Guitar........u can't avoid it...........wo bolte hai na........ "theres no short cut road to success"...........

Get a good accoustic guitar now........hobnor i would say........3.5k with amp option.........learn basic.........diff. strumming paterns, sa-re-ga-ma etc..........then get a good electric with good amp and procerssor...........it would cost till 20k:D

Best of luck......................if u start once don't leave it...............it ws a gr8 strs buster 4 me...........

Best of luck again...........

OP
Psychosocial

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
^^Thanks a lot for the response dood.

First of all I know about Bass and Lead Guitar. I wanna learn Lead Guitar as Bass Guitar has you always playing the same notes over and over.

I have thought of this and decided to buy a Yamaha Acoustic F-Cut 6-String Guitar or should I stick with Hobner ? Which cheap Amps to go for now. I will first learn Acoustic as you say its the base.

What is plucking and what are pick-ups ? Any help would be ok. I am really confused with two things. And at the last (i know I'm irritating :() how much time do you think it will take me if I learn it on my own (I'm 13) and if I take guidance from a tutor (there arent any good ones here........).

:).

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
If u r 13.......u've pretty much time to spare............give as much time as u can...........u'll surely njoy..........Guitar playing is gr8 fun and a gr8 joy........

c if u just want to play a few songs learn only the songs...........chords........strumming paters bas..........but if want LEARN playing guitar u've to have patience.....

Guuitar playing needs a hell lot of practice............the more u practice u'll tend to perfection( though applies to every field but I feel Guitar needs more).........don't get a amp right now..........cz.......ur sounds in amp. may offend ur neighbors now:D

get a hold on it and then directly go for electric............
don't worry about the jargons.................u'll get to know it...............:D

Tutor........any one is better than none.........
Best of Luck..........

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
It would be impractical to try to write everything here, so here are a few pointers. (I used to play rhythm, lead and bass when I had a rock band. But I've had no time for it for years and my fingers are stiff and I've largely lost the touch. But the basics are still the same).

I strongly suggest you learn playing rhythm on an acoustic guitar first before concentrating on lead. Without acquiring a good feel for rhythm, you'll never make a good lead or bass guitarist.

You didn't say if you're a raw beginner or one with some basic skills. Assuming the first, get some guide books on the basics. Learn the major keys, then minors and gradually proceed to more advanced stuff. At the same time, try to strum along to recorded music with good beats. Pay close attention to keeping accurate timing. Learn different beats.

Playing bass guitar is not as simple or unimportant as you may think. Sure, you can get away with monotonous plunk-plunk-plunk to some extent. But a good bassist syncing with the drummer can really set the mood of a song.

Start learning lead after you've got a good grasp of rhythm, not before - that's a mistake many aspiring guitarists make.

On to some of your specific questions:
Plucking is where you strike the strings singly in succession using all the fingers. It's somewhat like lead solos, but in plucking, you generally keep a basic flow in timing without pulling on a string to get tonal variations.

A pick-up is somewhat like a microphone (mike) for a guitar. The difference is this: A mike generates tiny electrical voltages when air vibrations (sound) strike a diaphragm. In a guitar pickup, a coil of wire is wound over a powerful magnet and the magnet-coil assembly is mounted close to the guitar strings. When the string vibrates, it disturbs the steady magnetic field and this generates a voltage proprtional to the string vibrations.

Time? It depends on how diligently you practice, and on your environment. I live in a social environment where western music is widely practiced and every child grows up with it. I guess this makes a difference. A large percentage of the male population (and many females) can play a guitar passably. If you practice regularly and listen to records carefully, you can pick up some basic skills in a few months. This is when you learn on your own. If you can take some tuition, it will take less time. To become really good, it takes at least a few years. Most of all, pay attention to timing and rhythm.

hullap

Cyborg Agent
And u r talking about learning directly Electric..........not accoustic.........
theres two type of guitar one is Bass guitar(with 4 strings........listen it in starting of Summer OF 69......or St. Anger) and Lead guitar(all guitar solos.....at max).........all these can be electric or non-electric.............d diff. is that, in electric guitar we use amp. where u don't have 2 strum that hard to get the desired sound..........and bass guitar sounds good in amp.......
WTF
do u even know what your talking about

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
I'd like to add a few things to my earlier post:

1. Something I forgot to include re mikes and pick-ups (may already be obvious to some): The tiny currents generated inside a microphone and a guitar pick-up are fed to an amplifier and a speaker where the volume can be controlled.

2. I might have sounded a bit pessimistic when talking about the time taken to learn how to play a guitar. When I said that you can pick up basic skills in a few months, I meant being able to accompany songs with some confidence. You can start making meaningful sounds in a couple of weeks. Keep at it and you'll gradually be able to attempt more advanced stuff like 7th and 13th chords, arpeggios, licks, pulls and slides, etc. But never neglect timing and rhythm.

Last edited:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
rhitwick, I think bass guitar has 5 strings.....

The one showed to us by our tutor had 4 strings, even wiki is telling the same.......

The bass guitar is similar in appearance and construction to an electric guitar, but with a larger body, a longer neck and scale length, and usually four strings tuned to the same pitches

link

May be the one u saw was different.........:confused::rolleyes:

OP
Psychosocial

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
I'd like to add a few things to my earlier post:

1. Something I forgot to include re mikes and pick-ups (may already be obvious to some): The tiny currents generated inside a microphone and a guitar pick-up are fed to an amplifier and a speaker where the volume can be controlled.

2. I might have sounded a bit pessimistic when talking about the time taken to learn how to play a guitar. When I said that you can pick up basic skills in a few months, I meant being able to accompany songs with some confidence. You can start making meaningful sounds in a couple of weeks. Keep at it and you'll gradually be able to attempt more advanced stuff like 7th and 13th chords, arpeggios, licks, pulls and slides, etc. But never neglect timing and rhythm.

Thabks for your great respons. I'm pretty sure that I will learn the basics first on an Acoustic one!! :)

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
@j1n M@tt and rhitwick: Most bass guitars have 4 strings, but there are some with 5. Just as most guitars have 6 strings, but some have 9, 10 or 12 strings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom