GTX 660 or HD 7870? Buying tomorrow.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
This is avaioable at ~23.6 on FK - so on local market should be ~1.1.5k cheaper at-least :
Sapphire AMD/ATI HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 With Boost 3 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card | Graphics Card | Flipkart.com

Thanks for the pic and after a long time I can see you posting buddy - welcome back ;-)

@ OP - the price of GTX 660 should be same as the HD7850 - hardly ~1k more but should be within your budget ie ~16k.

u are welcome TP ;)

btw tell me if u find a review of 7950 boost with catalyst 12.11.
edit - found one -
*www.legionhardware.com/articles_pa...hz_edition_7950_iceq_xsup2_boost_clock,1.html

Last edited:

Thetrueblueviking

No highs, No lows = Bose.
This is avaioable at ~23.6 on FK - so on local market should be ~1.1.5k cheaper at-least :
Sapphire AMD/ATI HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 With Boost 3 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card | Graphics Card | Flipkart.com

Hes saying its available @ 19k ... and if so ... then its a sure stealer...

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ buddy go through the posts of Nighthawk12 on this thread - I can't find anywhere he said HD7950 is available at 19k ;-)

@ JaS - here's one more for you ;-)
AMD Catalyst 12.11 Driver Performance Never Settle - AMD Catalyst 12.11 Software Suite

Thetrueblueviking

No highs, No lows = Bose.
@topgear have a look - Capture.PNG

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Talking about reviews, check this (all cards with latest beta drivers):-

HARDOCP - Introduction - Fall 2012 GPU and Driver Comparison Roundup

High pricing band – Throughout the course of the evaluation, the Radeon HD 7970 traded blows with the GTX 680 and are more or less equals when it comes to the overall game play experience. This is expected given that their pricing is within a few dollars of each other. For those that must have the absolute highest frame rates (even if it makes no difference to the overall game play experience), the Radeon HD 7970 seems to pull ahead of the GTX 680. The GTX 670 brings up the rear in this price band, but ultimately provides a slightly lower game play experience for a lower price.

Middle pricing band – This pricing band was far less competitive as the Radeon HD 7950 with Boost simply demolished the GTX 660 Ti across the board with regards to raw frame rates and overall game play experience across our suite of testing.

Low pricing band – Not to be left out, the Radeon HD 7870 held up well on its own, matching the game play experience and raw frame rates to the GTX 660 Ti from the middle pricing band (except for Sleeping Dogs).

Broken In
At the time when 7xxx was launched AMD's driver showed a dismal performance, but look at them now....7970 performing better than 680. As far as I recall only a few months back 7970 was lagging behind 680 by substantial margin. Although it took almost a year to bring out the quality drivers but still it seems awesome. This why I like AMD, their GPUs are outright brilliant but the drivers may be sucky initially. AMD really deserves a praise....:clap2::clap2:

Only thing I regret is that they couldn't keep up on the CPU front. Intel is really robbing us with their stagnant CPU prices and artificially capped CPUs that can't be overclocked so that they can charge a lot extra for their overclockable 'K' counterparts and compatible chipsets like P67,Z68,Z77 etc

Although for the price point of OP, 660 seems to be the best option. Go ahead and good luck. The greens are awesome too, at least there drivers don't suck at the time of release.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
At the time when 7xxx was launched AMD's driver showed a dismal performance,

Where did you get that? The starting performance was far from dismal, but now with the price reduction and newer drivers, they are just awesome . ;)

Broken In
Where did you get that? The starting performance was far from dismal, but now with the price reduction and newer drivers, they are just awesome . ;)

Compare it with nVidia's launch of GTX 680, they will look dismal. Of course 7970 ripped apart all previous generation GPUs starting from the launch.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
680 came some 6 months after 7970, of course, nVIDIA got time to optimize the card just to the level above 7970. And then nVIDIA's options are out, and AMD just tweaked enough to surge ahead. The cream at this moment is pricing and that's where AMD is winning.

Nighthawk12

In the zone
680 came some 6 months after 7970, of course, nVIDIA got time to optimize the card just to the level above 7970. And then nVIDIA's options are out, and AMD just tweaked enough to surge ahead. The cream at this moment is pricing and that's where AMD is winning.

+1 to him.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
^^ buddy go through the posts of Nighthawk12 on this thread - I can't find anywhere he said HD7950 is available at 19k ;-)

@ JaS - here's one more for you ;-)
AMD Catalyst 12.11 Driver Performance Never Settle - AMD Catalyst 12.11 Software Suite

thank u ;)

Talking about reviews, check this (all cards with latest beta drivers):-

HARDOCP - Introduction - Fall 2012 GPU and Driver Comparison Roundup

thanks for that link skud ;)

Broken In
Damn right, however 680 came 4 months after 7970. The only annoying thing is that it takes a lot of time to reflect those price cuts in Indian market which is enough to piss off the buyers. Actually 7970's should be priced at where 7950s are right now in India.:-x:-x

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
No point complaining about that, its not going to change. Present prices are fair IMO.

Broken In
Don't remember when was the last time AMD held the performance crown for single GPU. I mean for last few generations Nvidia had lead over AMD eg GTX 285 > Hd 4890, GTX 480 > Hd 5870, GTX 580 > Hd 6970 but not any more. Awesome work AMD...

OP
HimanshuVikal

HimanshuVikal

Broken In
Hi guys, again. Ok so um..... i am still without a gpu :cry: didn't find a gtx 660 or 7870 anywhere in Nehru Place and it seems like these cards are still not in the market. So I need your help. I'm going to buy online, from the sites which offer CoD like Flipkart, snapdeal, etc. I've raised my budget and I want to buy a 7870 now simply because it seems with the release of Catalyst 12.11 its performing better than a gtx 660 and I want to use this card for the next 3yrs atleast. So more performance is good.

Right now two Sapphire 7870s are available on snapdeal. One is the standard one I think and the other one is a OC edition priced at Rs.18,199 and Rs.18,399 respectively. No point in going for the OC edition because I'll be ocing it anyway, right? 7950 on smc is listed at 22,500, on Flipkart its 1k more.

So is it a good choice with that price and do you guys think this card has good coolers for overclocking?
My psu is vx550 7870 needs 500w so is it cutting it too close or I'll be fine?
Lastly is snapdeal a good site? If the card turns out a DOA they do have some other cards given they replace it.
Thanks.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi guys, again. Ok so um..... i am still without a gpu :cry: didn't find a gtx 660 or 7870 anywhere in Nehru Place and it seems like these cards are still not in the market. So I need your help. I'm going to buy online, from the sites which offer CoD like Flipkart, snapdeal, etc. I've raised my budget and I want to buy a 7870 now simply because it seems with the release of Catalyst 12.11 its performing better than a gtx 660 and I want to use this card for the next 3yrs atleast. So more performance is good.

Right now two Sapphire 7870s are available on snapdeal. One is the standard one I think and the other one is a OC edition priced at Rs.18,199 and Rs.18,399 respectively. No point in going for the OC edition because I'll be ocing it anyway, right? 7950 on smc is listed at 22,500, on Flipkart its 1k more.

So is it a good choice with that price and do you guys think this card has good coolers for overclocking?
My psu is vx550 7870 needs 500w so is it cutting it too close or I'll be fine?
Lastly is snapdeal a good site? If the card turns out a DOA they do have some other cards given they replace it.
Thanks.
Go to SMC International and pick up their HD 7950 for 22.5K. The only reason I am saying it is 3 GB VRAM will make a difference if you increase AA. Otherwise HD 7870 is priced great.

Corsair VX550 is good. It will also handle your system with HD 7970 if you don't heavily overclock your CPU/GPU.

What processor do you have anyway?

Don't remember when was the last time AMD held the performance crown for single GPU. I mean for last few generations Nvidia had lead over AMD eg GTX 285 > Hd 4890, GTX 480 > Hd 5870, GTX 580 > Hd 6970 but not any more. Awesome work AMD...
If you'll compare their head to head die sizes, you'll know why AMD was slower. Basically AMD built a chip of size < 60% of nVidia and was only 10-15% slower.

OP
HimanshuVikal

HimanshuVikal

Broken In
Go to SMC International and pick up their HD 7950 for 22.5K. The only reason I am saying it is 3 GB VRAM will make a difference if you increase AA. Otherwise HD 7870 is priced great.
Yeah that's the reason I am not going for gtx 66Xs because I've read they don't perform well with high AAs. But increasing another 4.3k is too much of a raise. Is sapphire's cooler good enough for OCing? This card :- *www.snapdeal.com/product/sapphire-hd7870-2gb-ddr5-graphic/217443/
My cpu is Phenom II 955be.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
that cooler is very good for ocing but note that once OCed ( around 4 Ghz @ 1.5v vcore ) your cpu is a major power hog - so you can OC the gpu as you like with the psu but if you are trying to OC the cpu be careful.

Top Bottom