GTA IV Game Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

shantanu

Technomancer
:DHi Everyone.. Seeing the high demand :D involving me , i decided to make this thread for In game Discussionon GTA IV

SPOILERS ALLOWED.. :D

We have SPOILERS here.. so Dont read Further if you Dont want to Spoil your Gameplay..

:D

here are some screenshots :) , will post more..
*img179.imageshack.us/img179/435/GTAIV2008-12-1319-17-02-77.th.jpg

*img179.imageshack.us/img179/8832/GTAIV2008-12-1319-12-38-56.th.jpg

*img179.imageshack.us/img179/6772/GTAIV2008-12-1319-13-53-88.th.jpg

*img179.imageshack.us/img179/9817/GTAIV2008-12-1319-13-24-25.th.jpg

*img179.imageshack.us/img179/1702/GTAIV2008-12-1319-16-08-09.th.jpg

*img179.imageshack.us/img179/3179/GTAIV2008-12-1319-16-12-84.th.jpg

*img179.imageshack.us/img179/2746/GTAIV2008-12-1319-15-42-52.th.jpg

*img179.imageshack.us/img179/3816/GTAIV2008-12-1319-16-09-82.th.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26636

Re: GTA Heaven

well i installed the game & applied the 1.0.1 patch & played around for a while. my questions-
1. i am always connected to the internet. when i start RGSC it tries to update itself & i have to terminate my network connection to stop it. is there any other way to do so?

2. in the graphics properties settings i have selected resolution 1680 x 1050(60hz). my 19" viewsonic has this as max resolution.the aspect ratio is kept at auto.i applied the patch to increase graphics quality to high but i cannot..if i do so the resource usage exceeds a lot.

the resource usage states- 856/470 (what do they mean?), Warning- your graphics settings are near or exceed the suggested resource settings for your system.it is recommended to reduce the graphic settings to run the game optimally.

when i change the render quality to highest & texture quality to medium it shows as 465/470 & when i change the texture quality to high(render quality highest) it shows as 856/470.

i have set these values- a)view distance- 32
b)detail distance- 70
c)vehicle density- 51
d)shadow density- 10
these were detected by the auto configure option.
my pc config is-
-asus p5kc m/b
-intel core2quad q9300(2.5ghz)
-1 x 2gb ddr2 800mhz & 1x 1gb ddr2 800mhz
-palit hd 4850( non OC'ed)

apart from the aforementioned problems the shadows sometimes turn into pixellated dots, while at other times it is uniform..i haven't checked my fps but the game is playable..its not lagging, hanging, freezing or crashing..i haven't played any missions but cruised around liberty city for around 20 minutes now..on car & on foot, i haven't experienced any problems.

what should i do?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist

@hunt : :D lol , i am playing this game.. hey tell me something.. michelle speaks like a FBI agent ?? did you notice that.. .. and that net cafe thing is good.. :D !!

where are you right now in the game ??
Dude you must really have good observation skills. I won't spoil the fun as I just discovered her full identity. But that's not before taking her out nearly 3 times & having sex each time I dropped her. :D

I have just completed one of Roman's mission, 'Hostile Negotiation'. Now Roman seems to have bought a new penthouse suite as our new safehouse. Better than those 2 sh*tty apartments I'd say. ;)

Progress: 30%.

D

Deleted member 26636

well i installed the game & applied the 1.0.1 patch & played around for a while. my questions-
1. i am always connected to the internet. when i start RGSC it tries to update itself & i have to terminate my network connection to stop it. is there any other way to do so?

2. in the graphics properties settings i have selected resolution 1680 x 1050(60hz). my 19" viewsonic has this as max resolution.the aspect ratio is kept at auto.i applied the patch to increase graphics quality to high but i cannot..if i do so the resource usage exceeds a lot.

the resource usage states- 856/470 (what do they mean?), Warning- your graphics settings are near or exceed the suggested resource settings for your system.it is recommended to reduce the graphic settings to run the game optimally.

when i change the render quality to highest & texture quality to medium it shows as 465/470 & when i change the texture quality to high(render quality highest) it shows as 856/470.

b)detail distance- 70
c)vehicle density- 51
d)shadow density- 10
my pc config is-
-asus p5kc m/b

apart from the aforementioned problems the shadows sometimes turn into pixellated dots, while at other times it is uniform..i haven't checked my fps but the game is playable..its not lagging, hanging, freezing or crashing..i haven't played any missions but cruised around liberty city for around 20 minutes now..on car & on foot, i haven't experienced any problems.

what should i do?

please guys..why isn't anyone answering?

OP
shantanu

shantanu

Technomancer

i am on Vista 64 .. and yes the FPS are better.. :D my game is only 15% up :( .. just did that Bruce's Mission of Police car tracking and Wacking..

D

Deleted member 26636

please guys..why isn't anyone answering?

b)detail distance- 70
c)vehicle density- 51
d)shadow density- 10
my pc config is-
-asus p5kc m/b

what should i do?

please...is anyone reading this?

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist

I do the same thing. If you don't reboot your machine that often then just run the RGSC application & fire the game away. Then enable your Internet connection. Exit the game & don't close the RGSC from the system tray. Let it remain there. Browse all you want & launch the game again directly from the RGSC icon in the system tray.

This means that it's exceeding your Video memory usage. The HD4850 has 512MB VRAM so enabling high texture quality occupies a large VRAM memory. It warns you because that setting is supposedly for higher end video cards with more VRAM. I have the same setting enabled but nothing major affected so far. The texture quality looks amazing after applying it. So ignore the warning for now.

b)detail distance- 70
c)vehicle density- 51
d)shadow density- 10
my pc config is-
-asus p5kc m/b

what should i do?
Update the drivers to Catalyst 8.12 & also update to the latest patch. Turn the shadow down to 0 as it doesn't help anyway. If you're not having any major issues then what's stopping you from playing the game? :confused:

D

Deleted member 26636

I do the same thing. If you don't reboot your machine that often then just run the RGSC application & fire the game away. Then enable your Internet connection. Exit the game & don't close the RGSC from the system tray. Let it remain there. Browse all you want & launch the game again directly from the RGSC icon in the system tray.

This means that it's exceeding your Video memory usage. The HD4850 has 512MB VRAM so enabling high texture quality occupies a large VRAM memory. It warns you because that setting is supposedly for higher end video cards with more VRAM. I have the same setting enabled but nothing major affected so far. The texture quality looks amazing after applying it. So ignore the warning for now.

Update the drivers to Catalyst 8.12 & also update to the latest patch. Turn the shadow down to 0 as it doesn't help anyway. If you're not having any major issues then what's stopping you from playing the game? :confused:

Thanx a lot for replying.Actually nothing is stopping me from playing the game..i only wanted to know if i could set my texture quality to high...& if i could stop RGSC from updating itself..But why does the game not run from the launchGTAIV.exe? when i click on this exe only a command prompt window appears..in the task manager i can see the process RGSC.exe running but the game does not start. it only starts directly from RGSC.exe ? BTW, i have completed 3.~something% of the game & i can already say its awesome..even with pixellated shadows liberty city is just amazing. & since the game does not freeze or crash..its completely worth enjoying.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist

RGSC is somehow connected to the main launcher. The main game is triggered only via RGSC. It's also a part of the Multiplayer aspect of the game, so I guess it needs to be running whilst the game is being played.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.

OK you guys have tempted me to order the game today itself :D.

One question, seeing the performance flaws, will I be able to run it @Medium, no AA on 1440x900 with a 8800GT 512MB, 2GB RAM and C2D E4500@ 2.4GHz ? I dont mind bad image quality as GTA games are known for gameplay rather than grafix :D.

aminsagar123

Journeyman

will gta4 run on my HP DV6767TX Laptop.

Processors: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T5550, Intel 965 PM Express Chipset
RAM DDR2: 3 GB
Hard Disk (in GB): 250 GB SATA 5400RPM
Optical Drive: Lightscribe 8X Double Layer (8.5 GB) DVD +RW/ +R Writer
Operating Systems: Windows Vista Home
N VIDIA FORCE/Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS, 256 MB Dedicated Graphics,Up to 895 MB TAG* memory (as allocated by Vista), Supports DirectX 10

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist

One question, seeing the performance flaws, will I be able to run it @Medium, no AA on 1440x900 with a 8800GT 512MB, 2GB RAM and C2D E4500@ 2.4GHz ? I dont mind bad image quality as GTA games are known for gameplay rather than grafix :D.
Simply put, Yes.

D

Deleted member 26636

enabling high texture quality occupies a large VRAM memory. It warns you because that setting is supposedly for higher end video cards with more VRAM. I have the same setting enabled but nothing major affected so far. The texture quality looks amazing after applying it. So ignore the warning for now.

hey i enabled the high settings in texture quality in spite of the warnings & played for about an hour..no crashing, freezing whatsoever....but sometimes the textures would turn to very low resolution for a brief 3-5sec..then they would be normal again..one can hardly notice it.my only complaint is about the pixellated shadows...leaving that the game ROCKS.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist

I'm not able to visualize what you mean by pixellated shadows. If you could point out from a screenshot then that would be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom