Grub!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

arvi87

Right off the assembly line
hey ppl.. i use a dual boot.. xp and ubuntu.. how do i reorder my grub? and how do i go about tweaking my grub.. i want xp to be on top rather than ubuntu coz i use xp more often.. so that even if i forget to move the cursor within ten seconds i log onto xp only..
:!:

praka123

left this forum longback
hey,ask your Linux doubts in Open Source section please! :)

you can edit grub for menu by editing /boot/grub/menu.lst .
ask some mods to move your threads to Open Source Section.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
edit the default value to the number where win xp is shown during grub menu
remember counting starts from 0 (not 1)

sakumar79

Technomancer
You can run "sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst" on terminal and edit the entries... But the thing is, when I updated Ubuntu from version 7 to 8, it added a couple more entries before the Windows entry and I had to go and change the default value... And this repeated during another update session...

Also, earlier when I used Red Hat Linux about 6-7 years ago (college years), I remember there was a graphical interface in the control center where it was easy to set grub options... Anybody know where I can get something like that?

Arun

Rahim

Married!
Just change the default value as suggested by T159 and further change the timeout option before the desired OS boots.
Remember if the Win XP line in Grub Menu is in the 5th Line then change the default value to 4 as counting starts from 0.

hey,ask your Linux doubts in Open Source section please! :)

you can edit grub for menu by editing /boot/grub/menu.lst .
ask some mods to move your threads to Open Source Section.
grub is not a linux doubt. Its a doubt about the worldś best b00t manager that can be used even if you want to dual b00t two windows versions.

anyway, google for grub menu editing, or refer to digit fast track to linux, if you want more info on how to go about and edit the menu.lst file and what commands bring what changes, etc.

If I remember right, grub has an option at boot to edit options. Any idea prakash ?

OP
A

arvi87

Right off the assembly line
i guess gautham is ryt.. grub is not only for linux and windows dual boot.. it can be used for any two operating systems.. and editin the menu.lst file helps.. i think there is already a graphics based grub editor for gnome.. im not sure if there is one for KDE.. but there sure id one for gnome.. *grubconf.sourceforge.net/ try tht link out.. and writing one for KDE shouldnt be much of a problem either..
:!:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom