Graphics/Display/Motherboard/Codec what is this problem???

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
hey guys,i have a weird problem...I usually download music videos from hotfile or similar websites...i had no problems earlier but recently i noticed,all the MV i download have too many disturbances or pixelated or distorted sort..I thought this could be a problem from the main source as i used to download these from the links i get from one site..but even when i moved on to other sites which give hotfile links,i faced similar problems....this was happening only with the recent ones & the not the ones done earlier,infact the ones downloaded before still work perfectly..for eg if i download a video,it would play all distorted(only video not music) but when i transferred the same file to my second comp a P4 everything was gone..Here are the screen shots of the same video in 2 comps..

This is from my main comp that is the dual core(specs below)which i use..
*i.imagehost.org/0611/test_1.jpg

& the same file when played in my P4 comp

*i.imagehost.org/0953/test_2.jpg

Notice the diff..what is the prob here??This is happenning with literally every video i download in my comp

Another example-this is from my main comp again...
*a.imagehost.org/0272/test_5.jpg

& this again from my P4 comp
*a.imagehost.org/0603/test_6.jpg

What is this problem??Pls help>>>looked for solution everywhere....didn't get any..Again let me point out that this is happening only with the recent vids i download..the earlier ones are working fine...so no idea what this is...PLS HELP

Last edited:
OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
so is this a hard disk problem then??how to get the disk defragmented??Isn't there a command to put in "Run" to do disk fragmentation..could u pls tell me?

the mv i downloaded this from is

*www.bestmv4u.com/

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
so is this a hard disk problem then??how to get the disk defragmented??Isn't there a command to put in "Run" to do disk fragmentation..could u pls tell me?

try this: Defraggler. as your processor isn't a quad or any high performance one so will take time. defrag it. but still i feel the problem lies somewhere else.

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
thanks for the software..will chk it out...but then y is this only for mv??I mean i download tv series & it works fine in my comp...one weird problem this...

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
@Ronnie11: which video format is dat(avi/mkv etc) ???
have u tried the same video in ur frnds PC????
try testing the video in other players...such KMPLayer,gomplayer etc.....

tkin

Back to school!!
Since the issue appears in the screenshots the problem lies with the video processor, i.e either the codec(software) or the GPU(hardware), download and use vlc, if problem persists then the GPU is the problem, the problem can also arise from a faulty memory, since you're using IGP(onboard gpu) it accesses the system memory for the processing, a faulty memory can cause the issue.

First check your rams.
Download this iso image, burn to a cd and boot from it, then check rams, 3 passes in the default mode is good enough.
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Then the CPU,use this: |MG| Prime95 26.1 Beta Download

If not then the motherboard(IGP) may be the problem.

But this looks like a codec issue to me.

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
@Ronnie11: which video format is dat(avi/mkv etc) ???
have u tried the same video in ur frnds PC????
try testing the video in other players...such KMPLayer,gomplayer etc.....

the example i put here is an mkv file...this was when i realized something was wrong...i tested the same file on my friends comp & my secondary p4 computer..whenever i play the vid it is all pixelated sort,not for my friends or anyone else.. & this has started to happen only with recent ones i download & only limited to MV..if i download a tv episode,it works fine...i tried playing in all these players including vlc...in vlc case it was worse & then an error came that it needs to close......

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

Since the issue appears in the screenshots the problem lies with the video processor, i.e either the codec(software) or the GPU(hardware), download and use vlc, if problem persists then the GPU is the problem, the problem can also arise from a faulty memory, since you're using IGP(onboard gpu) it accesses the system memory for the processing, a faulty memory can cause the issue.

First check your rams.
Download this iso image, burn to a cd and boot from it, then check rams, 3 passes in the default mode is good enough.
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Then the CPU,use this: |MG| Prime95 26.1 Beta Download

If not then the motherboard(IGP) may be the problem.

But this looks like a codec issue to me.

ok will try this out...but its playing as bad in vlc player or any other player..infact vlc shows an error & closes later...the screenshots were taken with image grabber software..

---------- Post added at 05:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

Ok i uninstalled & installed the latest codec & yet the problem persists....so this is definitely not a codec problem...
[Aug 31 17:40] Worker starting
[Aug 31 17:40] Setting affinity to run worker on logical CPU #1
[Aug 31 17:40] Beginning a continuous self-test to check your computer.
[Aug 31 17:40] Please read stress.txt. Choose Test/Stop to end this test.
[Aug 31 17:40] Test 1, 6500 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M12451841 using AMD K8 type-0 FFT length 640K, Pass1=160, Pass2=4K.
[Aug 31 17:45] Test 2, 6500 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M12451839 using Core2 type-3 FFT length 640K, Pass1=640, Pass2=1K.
[Aug 31 17:50] Test 3, 6500 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M12196481 using AMD K8 type-0 FFT length 640K, Pass1=160, Pass2=4K.

this is what i got from the prime95 software & its still running..no idea what is going on but my comp temp is reaching 90c because of it..is that normal??What does the test say???

---------- Post added at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

[Aug 31 17:40] Worker starting
[Aug 31 17:40] Setting affinity to run worker on logical CPU #0
[Aug 31 17:40] Beginning a continuous self-test to check your computer.
[Aug 31 17:40] Please read stress.txt. Choose Test/Stop to end this test.
[Aug 31 17:40] Test 1, 6500 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M12451841 using Core2 type-2 FFT length 640K, Pass1=640, Pass2=1K.
[Aug 31 17:45] Test 2, 6500 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M12451839 using Core2 type-3 FFT length 640K, Pass1=640, Pass2=1K.
[Aug 31 17:48] Test 3, 6500 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M12196481 using AMD K8 type-0 FFT length 640K, Pass1=160, Pass2=4K.
[Aug 31 17:52] Torture Test completed 2 tests in 12 minutes - 0 errors, 0 warnings.
[Aug 31 17:52] Worker stopped.

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 PM ----------

one more thing is why is this just happening with the newer files i download..the previous files downloaded all work fine even now...& thanks to karanth85..i noticed that this is happening only with mkv files...

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ i told u earlier. this problem isn't of HDD. ok, so heres the summery:

1. old videos in same PC works dine. newer don't.
2. new videos (downloaded) works dine in old pc, not in new PC.
3. new codecs tried, same problem persist.
4. HDD is ok.

so anyone got 1 reason that answers all these questions? cause problem is one, with multiple effects.

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
^^ i told u earlier. this problem isn't of HDD. ok, so heres the summery:

1. old videos in same PC works dine. newer don't.
2. new videos (downloaded) works dine in old pc, not in new PC.
3. new codecs tried, same problem persist.
4. HDD is ok.

so anyone got 1 reason that answers all these questions? cause problem is one, with multiple effects.

sry for the late reply..yeah u summed it up perfectly..just one more thing i would add is i think this is happening only to mkv files..but the older mkv files are working perfectly...

tkin

Back to school!!
sry for the late reply..yeah u summed it up perfectly..just one more thing i would add is i think this is happening only to mkv files..but the older mkv files are working perfectly...
Just mkv files? Are those H.264 stream? Then it maybe a codec issue, try using kmplayer.

metalhead

Broken In
A very interesting problem..............why don't you try repairing/reinstalling your OS???
The problem clearly is not with the hardware.........try updating the GPU drivers.......and for once,try running the videos without the graphics card............
keep us posted on any developments......

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
A very interesting problem..............why don't you try repairing/reinstalling your OS???
The problem clearly is not with the hardware.........try updating the GPU drivers.......and for once,try running the videos without the graphics card............
keep us posted on any developments......

i do not have a graphics card..been using onboard graphics...hmm ok i will try out with OS first...sure will update on the developments...

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

Just mkv files? Are those H.264 stream? Then it maybe a codec issue, try using kmplayer.

yes majority of them are H264 stream...ok will try it again...

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

woah....surprise surprise...it is working perfectly with kmplayer...so this is a codec issue then??But how..i mean i uninstalled my earlier codec & installed the latest codec & yet it had issues..but with kmplayer..no issues...so thank you tkin...thanks for your help..so if this is a codec problem..then what can i do to play this in my normal players..because i did install the latest klite codec & yet the problem persist..can u help me out in this as well pls?

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
hey i also suggested u KMplayer.....
the problem is with OS + Codec corruption

ahh i c..but is there any way to correct the codec corruption???

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

hey i also suggested u KMplayer.....
the problem is with OS + Codec corruption

Edit- Oh yes u did suggest the same software...sry dude...totally skipped that part...apologies for the mistake..won't happen again...

tkin

Back to school!!
i do not have a graphics card..been using onboard graphics...hmm ok i will try out with OS first...sure will update on the developments...

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

yes majority of them are H264 stream...ok will try it again...

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

woah....surprise surprise...it is working perfectly with kmplayer...so this is a codec issue then??But how..i mean i uninstalled my earlier codec & installed the latest codec & yet it had issues..but with kmplayer..no issues...so thank you tkin...thanks for your help..so if this is a codec problem..then what can i do to play this in my normal players..because i did install the latest klite codec & yet the problem persist..can u help me out in this as well pls?
Its not codec corruption but codec priority issues, sometimes some crappy codecs assigns the highest values to them, so the system uses them instead of the preferred ones. Happens with installing nokia ovi player and total media converter.

Step by step to fix the issue.

1.Download this tool: GSpot Codec Information Appliance

2.Run the tool, wait for sometime and the program will show the listed codecs in your system, this is the codec editor. We'll use it later.

3.Now download this tool: RadScorpion’s blog MONOGRAM GraphStudio

4.Run the graphstudio and select File:Render media file and select the video file.

5.A screen like this is shown.
*img153.imageshack.us/img153/593/20100109202830.jpg

6.Tell me the name of the codecs that are shown. In my case its ffdshow video and audio decoder thats rendering the streams, file is splitted with Haali(not shown) and 0002 is directvobsub to render the subtitle.

I'll tell you the next steps after that. You need to use g spot codec tool to assign the highest values to the useful codecs(I use ffdshow for H.264 streams and Haali splitter to split the mkv file).

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Its not codec corruption but codec priority issues, sometimes some crappy codecs assigns the highest values to them, so the system uses them instead of the preferred ones. Happens with installing nokia ovi player and total media converter.

Step by step to fix the issue.

1.Download this tool: GSpot Codec Information Appliance

2.Run the tool, wait for sometime and the program will show the listed codecs in your system, this is the codec editor. We'll use it later.

3.Now download this tool: RadScorpion’s blog MONOGRAM GraphStudio

4.Run the graphstudio and select File:Render media file and select the video file.

5.A screen like this is shown.
*img153.imageshack.us/img153/593/20100109202830.jpg

6.Tell me the name of the codecs that are shown. In my case its ffdshow video and audio decoder thats rendering the streams, file is splitted with Haali(not shown) and 0002 is directvobsub to render the subtitle.

I'll tell you the next steps after that. You need to use g spot codec tool to assign the highest values to the useful codecs(I use ffdshow for H.264 streams and Haali splitter to split the mkv file).

ok i ran the rad scorpion software & this is what i got...

*j.imagehost.org/0438/tkin-1.jpg

& with the gpot software,this is what came up....
*i.imagehost.org/0871/tkin-2.jpg

so is this correct?

tkin

Back to school!!
1.Right click on the MKV file in graphstudio and select properties, a properties box will come up, tell me the name of the program that is shown, in my case it shown as haali media splitter.

2.Do not run gspot from the archiver program as it cannot access the files that way, extract to hard drive and run it, it should show something like this.

*img843.imageshack.us/img843/7751/20100901233147.jpg

You don't need to open the video file in gspot, it will be used to set the priority of the codecs, files are analyzed only by graphstudio. Just make sure gspot runs and shows a screen like mine(the no. of codec section may be different)

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
1.Right click on the MKV file in graphstudio and select properties, a properties box will come up, tell me the name of the program that is shown, in my case it shown as haali media splitter.

2.Do not run gspot from the archiver program as it cannot access the files that way, extract to hard drive and run it, it should show something like this.

*img843.imageshack.us/img843/7751/20100901233147.jpg

You don't need to open the video file in gspot, it will be used to set the priority of the codecs, files are analyzed only by graphstudio. Just make sure gspot runs and shows a screen like mine(the no. of codec section may be different)

1:- It is Haali media splitter

2:-*j.imagehost.org/0491/tkin3.jpg

i just opened the box of gspot as you have directed now...how about now??

Top Bottom