Graphics Cards related queries here.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

I think your card doesn't have any onboard memory or if it has it's probably 128 or 256 MB.
Look on your gfx card for ram chips. the amount is quoted on the chips

8500 gpu's power is too low to utilize 512 or 1GB ram.
Like you can't compare a celeron cpu to latest c2d's :D

Also rad this article from here :
*www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/124

Both nVidia and ATI released new graphic chips target to low cost PCs based on the new PCI Express bus using a new technology that "steals" part of the PC RAM memory to be used as video memory. This technology is called TurboCache (or simply TC) by nVidia while ATI call this technology HyperMemory. By now ATI has released Radeon X300 and nVidia has released GeForce 6200 using this technology.

Since the video card uses part of the system RAM memory as video memory, the board can be manufactured with less memory, making it cheaper. On the other hand, your PC will have less RAM memory available.

The problem is that video card manufacturers are announcing their produts as if they had more memory than thet actually have, in the majority of cases telling that the VGA "supports 256 MB memory", which can lead users to think that the video card has 256 MB memory, which is not true.

For example, the GV-NX62TC256D card from Gigabyte has only 64 MB of video memory but is announced as having "256 MB video memory support". In fact, the difference between 256 MB and 64 MB it "steals" from the PC main RAM. The same thing happens on ATI arena. Radeon X300 SE from PowerColor, which has 128 MB video memory is sold as "with 256 MB HyperMemory"

andysmith45

Broken In

I was going to buy the XFX 8600 GT (256 MB, GDDR3) gfx, but saw the warning aout its overheating problems. I am now thinking of getting the MSI card if it is available in my city. Any issues with it that i should know of? Also, I have a 500W powersafe psu with 18A on the +12v rail. Is it sufficient for a 8600GT gfx?

quan chi

mortal kombat

I think your card doesn't have any onboard memory or if it has it's probably 128 or 256 MB.
Look on your gfx card for ram chips. the amount is quoted on the chips

8500 gpu's power is too low to utilize 512 or 1GB ram.
Like you can't compare a celeron cpu to latest c2d's :D

Also rad this article from here :
*www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/124

read that.
but there are 8500gt versions which has 1gb non tc ram.
*www.google.com/product_url?q=*www....-b8yBb7EtowXQwAAAAAAAAAA&gl=us&hl=en&sa=title

*www.google.com/product_url?q=*www....-b8yBb7EtowXQwAAAAAAAAAA&gl=us&hl=en&sa=title

*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_8_Series

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

I was going to buy the XFX 8600 GT (256 MB, GDDR3) gfx, but saw the warning aout its overheating problems. I am now thinking of getting the MSI card if it is available in my city. Any issues with it that i should know of? Also, I have a 500W powersafe psu with 18A on the +12v rail. Is it sufficient for a 8600GT gfx?

never heard of any issues with the MSI 8600GT card. Your PSU should be more than enough and I think it can even manage two 8600GT's.

nvidia

-----ATi-----

Your power supply is enough to run an 8600GT.
But avoid XFX 8600GT at any cost. Asus 8600GT is the best and it runs a lot cooler than the other 8600s

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

read that.
but there are 8500gt versions which has 1gb non tc ram.

*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_8_Series

As I've said earlier 8500 GT is too underpowered to handle even 512 MB. I know there are 1 GB versions available without TC but that can't even beat a 8600 GT 256 MB :D

quan chi

mortal kombat

As I've said earlier 8500 GT is too underpowered to handle even 512 MB. I know there are 1 GB versions available without TC but that can't even beat a 8600 GT 256 MB :D

read this.*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=832006&postcount=5040

thanks for your replies.

btw after lots of queries i have found out that it seems that it has that memory onboard and is not sharing it.

I have PALIT 8600 GT.
But it doesn't allow me to set resolution higher than 1024X768.

Does any settings required for that?
Tell me more about Nvidia settings.

PainKiller

thug for life...2pac

I have PALIT 8600 GT.
But it doesn't allow me to set resolution higher than 1024X768.

Does any settings required for that?
Tell me more about Nvidia settings.

ur monitor MUST support res. higher than 1024x768. only then u can set it.

Artemis

The Last Puff

I have a Biostar P4TGV-R v8.1, on the agp 8x slot there's a sticker that stays that do not insert a 3.3v card as it may cause damage though it runs a GForce 5950 fine, i'm planning to buy a 6600 or 6200 AGP any other recommendations my budget is 2k, will these cards run fine????

PainKiller

thug for life...2pac

I have a Biostar P4TGV-R v8.1, on the agp 8x slot there's a sticker that stays that do not insert a 3.3v card as it may cause damage though it runs a GForce 5950 fine, i'm planning to buy a 6600 or 6200 AGP any other recommendations my budget is 2k, will these cards run fine????

which brand u gonna buy?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

^^ yep it should support. 7 series supports upto 2048x1536 at 85Hz (*www.nvidia.com/object/7_series_techspecs.html)

Gaming benchmark at 1600x1200: *www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=562&p=4

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

don't know the exact price but the 256MB card should cost less than 3k.

Top Bottom