Graphics Cards related queries here.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

hi frnds,

need help on chosing a card,

the system config where i would install the card,

Intel P4 530 @ 3.0GHz
Intel 915 GAV
256 MB PC3200 DDR (I will add another 512MB)
80GB SATA

now i have a budget of 6k...

so pls suggest a card for which i should go for... pls suggest a card which is available in the indian market also if possible then pls try to provide the model number (for an instance XFX has many model of a same chipset)....

thnx...

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl

Either you get a XFX Geforce 6600 now, or you wait till you can spend Rs. 7500 and get a XFX Geforce 6600GT later. If you can save Rs. 9000, you can get a Geforce 7600GS which would be a much better card.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

deathvirus_me said:
Well .. unlike others .. i'd not recommend u a Asus SLi mobo ... get a DFi instead. .. check this link :

*www.theitdepot.com/products.asp?prod=10756

DFI boards are awesome .. and the price of this one is more awesome .. costs about the same as an SLi mobo .. but the performane is much better according to sites like tomshardware etc.

Well .. all the current games require atleast 1 GB to run smoothly ... higher amount of ram not only help stabilize the average fps .. but it removes a lot of stuttering .. if ur indeed building a SLi system .. then make sure u get atleast 2 GB ddr400 ram ...
Please look at my current config in my signature!
So, I have to buy a motherboard, processor and graphics card in a budget of approximately Rs. 30,000 (may exceed it a bit). Would you advise me to buy another 6600 GT and install both of them in SLi, or buy a new graphics card. If you advise me to go with the latter option, which graphics card should I opt for?
And please suggest a top-of-the-line dual-core 64-bit processor (preferably AMD)! Thank you!

P.S. - Don't worry about my wasting my graphics card and all. I can dispose it off, if required, without incurring substantial loss.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl

Well .. i'd say get a AMD Athlon64 3500+ , a DFI NF4 SLi mobo .. and a single 7600GT .. u should get some additional cash by selling of some components of the current pc ... :p ... should be around 35k's ...

Also make sure u have atleast 1 GB ddr400 ram for smooth gameplay (which is still not enough) ....

Last edited:

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl

Since your budget is Rs. 30,000, AMD Dual core is out of the question because the cheapest one (X2 3800+) costs Rs. 17,000 leaving little for the other components.
Your current motherboard supports dual core, so I'd advise you to stick to Intel.
Firstly you should get 512 MB RAM more (Rs. 2000). With the remaining Rs. 28,000, you have 2 choice:

Choice I
Intel Pentium D 805 2.66 GHz dual core(Rs. 6000 approx)
nVidia Geforce 7900GT (Rs. 22,000 approx)

Choice II
Intel Pentium D 930 3 GHz dual core (Rs. 14,000 approx)
nVidia Geforce 7600GT (Rs. 14,000 approx)

Keep in mind that Intel dual core is far better than AMD single core.

Choice I will get you a killer gaming rig. There's nothing that can stress the 7900GT. Even multitasking will be great with this config.
Choice II will get you a decent gaming rig but everything else (AV encoding, 3D rendering, multitasking) will run blazing fast.

ratzee199

Journeyman

hi
my pc config is like this:
P4 2.8 Ghz HT, Intel 865GBF motherboard, with agp 8x slot. It has 768MB DDR. currently i hv MSI GEFORCE 5600 FX 256 MB ddr agp card.
but now i want to upgrade it to Ge Force 620/6600. Please help me to choose one. My budget is around Rs 8000-Rs 10000. Plz help.......as i am not able to enjoy the game FEAR, SPLINTER CELL:CHAOS THEORY etc..
and as i am living in MUMBAI, so can you plz lemme know(if possible) where can i buy the cards or get the cards ??

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

drvarunmehta said:
Since your budget is Rs. 30,000, AMD Dual core is out of the question because the cheapest one (X2 3800+) costs Rs. 17,000 leaving little for the other components.
Your current motherboard supports dual core, so I'd advise you to stick to Intel.
Firstly you should get 512 MB RAM more (Rs. 2000). With the remaining Rs. 28,000, you have 2 choice:

Choice I
Intel Pentium D 805 2.66 GHz dual core(Rs. 6000 approx)
nVidia Geforce 7900GT (Rs. 22,000 approx)

Choice II
Intel Pentium D 930 3 GHz dual core (Rs. 14,000 approx)
nVidia Geforce 7600GT (Rs. 14,000 approx)

Keep in mind that Intel dual core is far better than AMD single core.

Choice I will get you a killer gaming rig. There's nothing that can stress the 7900GT. Even multitasking will be great with this config.
Choice II will get you a decent gaming rig but everything else (AV encoding, 3D rendering, multitasking) will run blazing fast.
Don't you think I should opt for DDR2 RAM, even if I have to go in for a motherboard change? If not, isn't DDR2 miles ahead of DDR?
And my current processor is 2.66 GHz. What's the point in buying another processor with the same speed? And I have heard countless people say (and critics too) that AMD beats the pants off Intel. Can you please give me more details and options?
I am sorry if I am being too demanding but I really wish to upgrade my knowledge about computer hardware. :)

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting

drvarunmehta said:
Either you get a XFX Geforce 6600 now, or you wait till you can spend Rs. 7500 and get a XFX Geforce 6600GT later. If you can save Rs. 9000, you can get a Geforce 7600GS which would be a much better card.

ok.. lates take ur suggestion... increasing the budget to 7.5k, now suggest 1 exact model,

Either GainWard
*www.gainward.net/products/

or XFX
Product Guide XFX 6600GT

one more thing... any chance that ATI X 1300 or X 1600 may fall in my budget, if yes then how r those card compair to 6600GT??

pls.. try to suggest one card which can be found here in Indian Market (rather Kolkata) :p

thnx... :)

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl

X1300 is worse than the 6600GT and X1600 is on par with it. I suggest you take the Gainward 6600GT over the XFX.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl

deathvirus_me said:
Hmmm .. any links ??? which company .... this price in India ?? really ???
I've seen an even lower price quoted on this very forum by another user. Just run a search and check

EDIT
Here it is *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28755&highlight=7900gt
Just check the post by akshayt

Check this post by ritwickgupta too *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18826&page=34&highlight=7900gt

Last edited:

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl

aryayush said:
Don't you think I should opt for DDR2 RAM, even if I have to go in for a motherboard change? If not, isn't DDR2 miles ahead of DDR?
And my current processor is 2.66 GHz. What's the point in buying another processor with the same speed? And I have heard countless people say (and critics too) that AMD beats the pants off Intel. Can you please give me more details and options?
I am sorry if I am being too demanding but I really wish to upgrade my knowledge about computer hardware. :)
No need to go for DDR2. It isn't that much faster than DDR. If you want proof, just check the performance of AMD's new AM2 socket that uses DDR2. It is barely anything extra over the old socket 939 that used DDR. Read about it on www.anandtech.com
The Pentium D 805 isn't "processor with the same speed". It's dual core or 2 processors in 1. It can perform 2 tasks simultaneously which a single core 2.66 GHz couldn't. It's great for multitasking.
You are partly correct when you say that AMD beats the pants off Intel. What at what cost? The AMD dual core X2 3800+ costs about Rs. 17,000 while the Intel one I recommended costs just Rs. 6000. Agreed it's slower but not by much and it saves your cash so can spend it on a better graphics card. Finally your gaming experience depends more on the graphics card than the processor.

I suggest you read this review to understand why I'm recommending this processor *www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores/

Last edited:

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl

I've seen an even lower price quoted on this very forum by another user. Just run a search and check

EDIT
Here it is *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/show...ghlight=7900gt
Just check the post by akshayt

Check this post by ritwickgupta too *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/show...ghlight=7900gt

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5193&page=126

Well sometimes its best to go out and check the prices urself .. i still doubt how much truth was put into that reply by that guy .... i personally had asked about a 7900GT (normal) and was waaay higher .. check this link out :

*www.theitdepot.com/products.asp?prod=13740

Don't u think that the prices are quite part ??? (and ur believing the same guy who thinks the A8Ne support 2 processor) And these guys at itdepot give a pretty standard price .... u might get about 2-3k's less at max .... dude this is india .. where the prices are the worst of all ..

Last edited:

ritwickgupta

Broken In

@deathvirus_me
as for the prices of gfx cards r concern don go n check out the website. they give a lot higher prices. call ne rashi peripheral office n ask the prices urself. i called the ofice at pune n got this price.
7900gt 1.65ghz 560 clock......22500+vat
7900gt 1.30ghz 450 clock .....18500+vat

as far as putting processor is concerned.....the dealer told me that a8n-e does nt supports dual core processors. i was sure that it supports. i just checked out to be sure.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl

Hmm .. strange .. the 7900GT (non oc'ed) costs around 28k's here .... from a distributor of Rashi ...

Anyway... just a general piece of advice ... try to avoid the 7900's ... nvidia screwed up digtime with the architecture .. they tried to make the card safe with oc'ing ... but what they made is card's that artifacts and need to be rma'd ... so unless ur lucky u might get one of the problematic one's ....

Last edited:

anilthomas26

In the zone

my config :

amd 64bit 2800+
asus k8n mobo
512mb ram

i recently bought an evga 6800gs......i had posted an enquiry in this very thread earlier and i thought i had found a solution and i had posted that too....

when i installed it, first it was perfectly alright...later the screen began flickering while playing games.........it doesnt flicker like the refresh rate is too slow......it jst flickers here and ther on the screen .........

windows help suggested to upgrade ma bios and i did that....it worked fine for a single time when i played fear......

then the flickering began again.........the card asks for a power supply of 300w and that is wat i have......do i need a higher power smps ??????

also plzzz tell if ther r service centres for evga in india..(preferably in cochin,kerala).......
plzzzz help me guys..........

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl

Can't help on the service centre .. but this is what i can say :

(i) make sure u've a psu that gives atleast over 20A across the 12V rail ...
(ii) Ur using an LCD aren't you ??? Well make sure u play at/above the native lcd res. of ur lcd ...

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz

Just make two things very clear,that you should have atleast 400W+ supply from either of Coolermaster or Antec brands.
And second,you will need decent cooling to maximize the potential of your card.
@death_virus
Playing above the native resolution of the LCD isn't possible,as you dont get the resolution settings above the default in the game. :D
And if somehow you does,then flickering has nothing to do with the thing.
This simply relates to the power supply nuisances.

royal

Padawan

hey guys ... check this out :cool:

FORSA's making a debut in India ... and they are keeping prices just right so that it hits the sweet spot :)

Performance wise XFX would be better ... and this brand is not very good with overclocking ... but lets just hope the other brands take notice and bring prices down :mad:

I am waiting for the 7600GT review ... should cost around Rs. 10.5k

BTW, any chance of this being reviewed by DIGIT in near future ??? that would really help in taking decisions ...

anilthomas26

In the zone

so...shud i get a 400 watt smps ?????

and.....wat is this pipe n vertex thingies of the graphics card.......

i saw a mod to unlock 2 more pipes of ma 6800gs........

is it safe..???....they say that it might damage the card.......

once i unlock them....and if i find some problem can i reverse the process ??????........

anyway...plzz help me with the flickering problem first ........

thanks guys......

Top Bottom