Graphics Cards related queries here.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

i saw a mod to unlock 2 more pipes of ma 6800gs........

Not pcie ,, only agp ..

Just make two things very clear,that you should have atleast 400W+ supply from either of Coolermaster or Antec brands.
And second,you will need decent cooling to maximize the potential of your card.
@death_virus
Playing above the native resolution of the LCD isn't possible,as you dont get the resolution settings above the default in the game.
And if somehow you does,then flickering has nothing to do with the thing.
This simply relates to the power supply nuisances.

A friend of mine has a samsung lcd whose native res. is 1280*1024 , and the max. supported is 1600*1200 ... when he play Condemned Criminals at lower than 1024*1024 say 1024*768 , he experiences strange flickering ... the only remedy is to change to res. of 1280*1024 or above .... he has a good enough psu for powering his whole rig ...

anilthomas26

In the zone

yup...mine is an agp version of the 6800gs.........

so...can i unlock the extra pipes(wateva those r......as long as i can squeeze all the performance i can get from ma card ...lol).......

if i do so using riva tuner.....and if i encounter any problems.......can i rollback the entire process ??????

will it affect my card's warranty ??????

most importanly.......i found this mode to convert the gs to a gt and then to an ultra.........my gs already has a fan.......will it require any more cooling systems once i unlocked the pipes....(ie...once i converted it into the 6800gt..)...????

i dont plan to convert it to an ultr...coz i suppose it wud require serious coooling solutions.......

so...the most important question is if i can roll back the process.......and if it will damage my card ?????

anilthomas26

In the zone

when u sing atitool for checking artifacts ther aint any problem.......

but while playing a game my screen still flickers......

here is a screen shot from atitool....

*server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=untitled.a21.JPG

it tells that the no. of active vertex pipelines and and activer pixel pipelines are zero....!!
is that trouble ????

plzzz suggest anyways to remove this flickering.......plzzzzzzzz

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United

anilthomas26 said:
yup...mine is an agp version of the 6800gs.........

so...can i unlock the extra pipes(wateva those r......as long as i can squeeze all the performance i can get from ma card ...lol).......

if i do so using riva tuner.....and if i encounter any problems.......can i rollback the entire process ??????

will it affect my card's warranty ??????

most importanly.......i found this mode to convert the gs to a gt and then to an ultra.........my gs already has a fan.......will it require any more cooling systems once i unlocked the pipes....(ie...once i converted it into the 6800gt..)...????

i dont plan to convert it to an ultr...coz i suppose it wud require serious coooling solutions.......

so...the most important question is if i can roll back the process.......and if it will damage my card ?????

Yes, it will void your card's warranty. Your warranty will be voided. Rivatuner is an excellent tool for overclocking and doing these kind of stuff, i.e. unlocking extra pipes, etc. And I feel that the process cannot be reversed. Just google for yourself as "unlocking 6800GS AGP + rivatuner" and find out.

anilthomas26

In the zone

plzzzzzzzzzz help meeeeeeeee........

my screen is still flickering while playing games................

wat do i do.......the games which i played properly with my fx5200(256mb).....is flickering with my new evga 6800gs(256mb)......

plzzz help me guys......

hellrider

Broken In

Get atleast a 400W SMPS, coz 6800GS needs more power. Buy Intex or Antec. Here u will notice dat, for 6800 cards u hav to give power supply directly from one of PSU's power cables as AGP slots doesn't drive dat amount of power as Card needs. Actually Nvidia reccomends 450W SMPS atleast for 6600 & 6800 series.

Last edited:

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

drvarunmehta said:
No need to go for DDR2. It isn't that much faster than DDR. If you want proof, just check the performance of AMD's new AM2 socket that uses DDR2. It is barely anything extra over the old socket 939 that used DDR. Read about it on www.anandtech.com
The Pentium D 805 isn't "processor with the same speed". It's dual core or 2 processors in 1. It can perform 2 tasks simultaneously which a single core 2.66 GHz couldn't. It's great for multitasking.
You are partly correct when you say that AMD beats the pants off Intel. What at what cost? The AMD dual core X2 3800+ costs about Rs. 17,000 while the Intel one I recommended costs just Rs. 6000. Agreed it's slower but not by much and it saves your cash so can spend it on a better graphics card. Finally your gaming experience depends more on the graphics card than the processor.

I suggest you read this review to understand why I'm recommending this processor *www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores/
OK. You have me convinced on the DDR2 front. I am opting for DDR now. Now, is there any advantage if I buy Corsiar? Or any other company will do?
I am still doubtful about Intel vs AMD though. The link you provided claims that the processor can be overclocked to 4.1 GHz but I don't know how to overclock and am not willing to risk my processor. So for me, it will run at stock speed of 2.66 GHz which is just unacceptable. I was thinking of something above 3 GHz, at the least. I plan to use the PC mainly for using Maya, 3DSMAX, etc. and have therefore, decided not to invest in a graphics card. I suppose my current card won't pose any problems, will it?
So it comes back to the processor. Now that I can afford to spend a bit more on it, which processor should I buy? Please give me a few options with the street prices, advantages and disadvantages of each!

Aniruddh

Ambassador of Buzz

no doubt d805 is a very decent proc...and VFM..but if u r not gonna overclock then 3000+ is much betta trust me...less power consuming..runs cooler..much betta for gaming...and almost da same for other stuff wen compared to d805.
-and yaa gud companies ram will ofcourse make diff...u can go for kingston,transcend,corsair...they are very gud companies...wen comes to ram.
-Get atleast 450w PSU

Last edited:

mohit

The Hardware Labs

Aniruddh said:
no doubt d805 is a very decent proc...and VFM..but if u r not gonna overclock then 3000+ is much betta trust me...less power consuming..runs cooler..much betta for gaming...and almost da same for other stuff wen compared to d805.
-and yaa gud companies ram will ofcourse make diff...u can go for kingston,transcend,corsair...they are very gud companies...wen comes to ram.
-Get atleast 450w PSU

if i am not wrong ..u were urself planning to dump ur 3000+ for a d805 coz u find the 3000+ sluggish in multi-tasking .. change of mind eh ?

well d805 is better than the 3000+ in everything but gaming .. and when u overclcok the d805 .. it can even give a tough fight to the amd athlon fx series at everything .. it needs good cooling though.

so if u r not gonna oc then,

gaming = 3000+
anything else = d805

but i strongly recommend ocing the hell out of the d805 :D

Last edited:

Aniruddh

Ambassador of Buzz

mohit said:
if i am not wrong ..u were urself planning to dump ur 3000+ for a d805 coz u find the 3000+ sluggish in multi-tasking .. change of mind eh ?

well d805 is better than the 3000+ in everything but gaming .. and when u overclcok the d805 .. it can even give a tough fight to the amd athlon fx series .. it needs good cooling though.

so gaming = 3000+ (and dont forget to oc it)
anything else = d805 (oc it again :D)
but as u only said that if i m not gonna ova clock this proc then mine current proc is much betta...well u remember my words but forgot urs.
at da same time v thought this is 65NM proc...but as u remember that day v saw in de intel site that it isnt...and then u asked me to stick wid my current one.

mohit

The Hardware Labs

that is coz u had already bought a 3000+ my dear ..and u were acting foolish by buying a d805 for no reason .. nobody would advice u to change to d805 from a 3000+ and waste cash on the whole setup that too when u were not ready to OC ..coz there is hardly any difference until overclocking takes place ..but the d805 still is better than a 3000+ in multi-tasking.. and the d805 kicks the 3000+ hard once u oc it. it ocies like crazy.

and there is nothing wrong in the D805 being 90nm .. it still runs much cooler than the earlier prescotts.

Aniruddh

Ambassador of Buzz

Arre...but dude i had sum other plans...as i was going for new rams and all...thats why i thought of going for this setup...else i wud hav juz changed my mobo...not de proc..nywayz...dis will go on and on and on.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl

aryayush said:
So for me, it will run at stock speed of 2.66 GHz which is just unacceptable. I was thinking of something above 3 GHz, at the least. I plan to use the PC mainly for using Maya, 3DSMAX, etc.
The Athlon64 3000+ runs at only 1.8 GHz. Is that acceptable to you? Gigahertz isn't the proper indicator of performance.
In fact since you want to use your PC for Maya and 3DSMAX, all the more reason to choose Intel. It's one thing Intel is actually better at than AMD.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

But I can afford to shell out more than Rs. 6,000. Aren't there better processors out there? And if GHz isn't an indicator of performance, what is?
And how much will 2 GB of Corsiar DDR RAM cost me? And how much will be the speed? Will it be more than 400 MHz?
BTW, Maya and 3DSMAX won't cause troubles with my mediocre graphics card, will they? I mean, do I need a better card for them to perform well?

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl

If you want a better processor, get a Pentium D 9xx series processor. they come with 4 MB of L2 cache and would be great for your work. They use much less power and produce less heat than the 8xx series processors. A Pentium D 920 would cost about 11-12k.
A 6600GT should be enough for rendering. If you feel the need for a better card you can always upgrade later.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Thanks! You have been the most helpful and patient thus far! :)
Don't you know the answers to the other questions?
aryayush said:
And if GHz isn't an indicator of performance, what is?
And how much will 2 GB of Corsiar DDR RAM cost me? And how much will be the speed? Will it be more than 400 MHz?

And is my 400W PSU enough to power the system? If I need to upgrade, how much do I need to shell out?

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl

And if GHz isn't an indicator of performance, what is?

Loads of things ... the processor architecture itself ... the processor is really good with lower L1 : L2 cache (where the L2 should atleast be 512 KB) ... specially if the processor has an integrated mem. controller ... and support better mem. management ... heavy duty apps. prefer long pipeline (= higher speed) .. and mem. intensive one like the ones with shorter pipelines (=less core clocks) .... so u see the final performance will not be depending upon the GHz itself ...

2 GB of Corsiar DDR RAM cost me? And how much will be the speed? Will it be more than 400 MHz?

Should be atleast 20k's for standard ddr400 modules .... and if u want lower latency one's it'll cost even higher ... also .. the speed depends upon the model .. like pc3200 -> 400 MHz , pc3500 -> 433 MHz , pc4000 -> 500 MHz etc. etc. ...

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Man, that RAM costs a HUGE amount of money. I'll stick to the cheaper alternatives, thank you very much! :)
So what are these cheaper alternatives?
aryayush said:
And is my 400W PSU enough to power the system? If I need to upgrade, how much do I need to shell out?

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl

So what are these cheaper alternatives?

Well .. normal zion or kingston ram should do .. actually unless and untill u oc much .. u won't require very good rams ... most ram can push latencies to 2.5,3,3,6 .. lol ..

ur using the pc in ur sig ??? Even if so ... a good 350W psu from Antec , Coolermaster should do .... just make sure it supplies over 20A across 12V ...

Aniruddh

Ambassador of Buzz

deathvirus_me said:
Loads of things ... the processor architecture itself ... the processor is really good with lower L1 : L2 cache (where the L2 should atleast be 512 KB) ... specially if the processor has an integrated mem. controller ... and support better mem. management ... heavy duty apps. prefer long pipeline (= higher speed) .. and mem. intensive one like the ones with shorter pipelines (=less core clocks) .... so u see the final performance will not be depending upon the GHz itself ...

Should be atleast 20k's for standard ddr400 modules .... and if u want lower latency one's it'll cost even higher ... also .. the speed depends upon the model .. like pc3200 -> 400 MHz , pc3500 -> 433 MHz , pc4000 -> 500 MHz etc. etc. ...

20k for 2GB DDR400mhz ram...from where u got that rate man???...well 2GB shud come arnd 8.5k with three yr warranty (transcend)if i m not wrong eva u can get kingston for this much.1GB 400MHz ram stick arnd 4.2k.

-Get a Antec 480w or above psu...it will b a one time investment...and will serve u for yrs 2 come thats 4 sure eva if u upgrade u can stick wid da same gpu..dun go for cheap brand or low watt psu...hav heard bout powersafe that its gud at da same time quite cheap compared to Antec,coolermaster..so u can eva check out powersafe...but i'll recommend ANTEC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom