Graphics Cards related queries here.

You got the GPU chip silicon lottery.

I too had HD6770 which was dead in 2015 (5yrs)
I had an XFX HD5670, which died in 4 years, but I'm sure location matters a lot. India is usually too much dusty + my home town had 90% humidity, these two would reduce the life of electronics. Although remaining components of my PC at home are barely working somehow, the motherboard was replaced once while in warranty & now it has some issues but is working (will turn 9 years this summer)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had an XFX HD5670, which died in 4 years, but I'm sure location matters a lot. India is usually too much dusty + my home town had 90% humidity, these two would reduce the life of electronics. Although remaining components of my PC at home are barely working somehow, the motherboard was replaced once while in warranty & now it has some issues but is working (will turn 9 years this summer)

just put a couple of silica gel packs inside of the cabinet. It will protect the components inside from excess humidity.

just put a couple of silica gel packs inside of the cabinet. It will protect the components inside from excess humidity.
Will keep that in mind for future.

Home PC has some motherboard issues which causes no time storage (changed battery but no effect) & random crashes (HDD seems fine, reinstalled OS), it will be thrown away when it completely dies, parents have a laptop, so not an issue.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
About the time thing ... on a friend's pc win 10 don't update time automatically at-all. every time he has to update time manually though he has no firewall or any other security suite installed. Bios time also stays locked with this but won't reset I mean back to factory default time. The issue is like today is say 17th April and even after 5 days there won't be any update in time. He has to manually open windows time and date settings and update time from there. Strange but it is what happening. Sorry, I posted a little but different stuff on your thread.

BTW, If by changing the CR2032 battery is not solving time issue first try with a bios flash. If the result is still same then the bios flash chip is faulty and can be replaced.

About the time thing ... on a friend's pc win 10 don't update time automatically at-all. every time he has to update time manually though he has no firewall or any other security suite installed. Bios time also stays locked with this but won't reset I mean back to factory default time. The issue is like today is say 17th April and even after 5 days there won't be any update in time. He has to manually open windows time and date settings and update time from there. Strange but it is what happening. Sorry, I posted a little but different stuff on your thread.

BTW, If by changing the CR2032 battery is not solving time issue first try with a bios flash. If the result is still same then the bios flash chip is faulty and can be replaced.
It's a general thread.

I'm sure my parents can't flash BIOS & I won't be going back anytime soon. Anyhow, the PC is considered almost dead & my parents use it just for the big screen. They have a laptop, so no issues.

riturajsharma19

Broken In
Guys, I am having a hard time deciding between two GPUs. To provide a bit of a context, I am at best only a casual gamer who plays older games like NFS Hot Pursuit 2010 and World of Warships, which is free to play on Steam. My current GPU is the Zotac 750ti. These are the two GPUs currently in contention -

1. ASUS ROG Strix Gaming RX 570 OC 4GB @ 13,799- Buy ASUS ROG Strix Gaming RX 570 OC ROG-STRIX-RX570-O4G-GAMING at Lowest Price in India - mdcomputers.in

2.Galax GTX 1060 OC 6GB GDDR5 @ 16,499 - Buy Galax GTX 1060 OC 6GB GDDR5 at Lowest Price in India - mdcomputers.in

Aesthetics of the GPU are also an important factor and here option 1 appears to be better. Also my current motherboard doesn't support GPUs with backplates and that rules out many other solid options. I am leaning more towards option 1, but 2 appears to be a better performer.

Could anyone having experience of both these GPUs comment on the difference in performance.

PC Specs: i7 4770, 24gb DDR3, MSI B85m-E45 motherboard, Zotac 750ti, Corsair CX650m PSU

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
1060 is indeed better than RX570 but Galax is not such a good brand taking RMA into consideration. This one though is better than both of them Buy Sapphire RX 580 Pulse OC 4GB GDDR5 (11265-32-20G) at Lowest Price in India - mdcomputers.in

riturajsharma19

Broken In
1060 is indeed better than RX570 but Galax is not such a good brand taking RMA into consideration. This one though is better than both of them Buy Sapphire RX 580 Pulse OC 4GB GDDR5 (11265-32-20G) at Lowest Price in India - mdcomputers.in
But this has a backplate and my MB can't accommodate GPUs with backplates. I did go through the Sapphire cards and they appear to be solid.

MB (1).jpg

Guys, I am having a hard time deciding between two GPUs. To provide a bit of a context, I am at best only a casual gamer who plays older games like NFS Hot Pursuit 2010 and World of Warships, which is free to play on Steam. My current GPU is the Zotac 750ti. These are the two GPUs currently in contention -

1. ASUS ROG Strix Gaming RX 570 OC 4GB @ 13,799- Buy ASUS ROG Strix Gaming RX 570 OC ROG-STRIX-RX570-O4G-GAMING at Lowest Price in India - mdcomputers.in

2.Galax GTX 1060 OC 6GB GDDR5 @ 16,499 - Buy Galax GTX 1060 OC 6GB GDDR5 at Lowest Price in India - mdcomputers.in

Aesthetics of the GPU are also an important factor and here option 1 appears to be better. Also my current motherboard doesn't support GPUs with backplates and that rules out many other solid options. I am leaning more towards option 1, but 2 appears to be a better performer.

Could anyone having experience of both these GPUs comment on the difference in performance.

PC Specs: i7 4770, 24gb DDR3, MSI B85m-E45 motherboard, Zotac 750ti, Corsair CX650m PSU
1060 is a much better GPU & good for your PC. 1060 is still a great GPU for 1080p 60fps gaming at ultra/high.

riturajsharma19

Broken In
Please refer to my query above. I went ahead and purchased the Galax 1060 6gb and got it delivered today. However, after opening the package, I found the rear bracket to be bent. The packaging was fine and there was no sign of tampering though. I managed to apply some pressure and straighten it somewhat. The card works, but my OCD has kicked in and I have already mailed mdcomputers asking for a replacement. Not sure whether they will provide me one.

I wonder how a brand new card could arrive in this condition. Has anyone had such an experience?

bent bracket.jpg

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure but get it replaced ASAP else you most likely won't get any warranty in future(many service centres are quite notorious for giving the excuse of physical damage to reject any RMA even if it is just suferficial & does not affect the hardware in any way like in this case,once my friend intel mobo RMA was rejected simply because ram slot insert notch was broken a little bit though ram still fit nicely & board worked for almost 2 years before that).

quicky008

Technomancer
^reminds me of a case when a brand new mobo i bought had bent pins in the cpu socket-i managed to get it replaced only after much arguing with the shopkeeper(who thought that i had bent the pins myself and was falsely claiming that the product arrived in a damaged state!).

Whats the normal safe temperature of a GTX 1060 6gb under load?Is it normal for a new zotac 1060 mini 6gb to hit 70-75 c while gaming?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Zotac mini 1060 has not that great cooling & if you are in a place with summer temps crossing 40C then under load 70C is usual.
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 Mini 3 GB Review
Under load, temperature are just shy of the 82°C limit beyond which Boost will start throttling down clocks to keep the card at acceptable temperatures.

Top Bottom