Graphics Cards related queries here.

divyam

PSN- GiGzMo
^Its already launched in MDcomputers for 18-19k.. crap pricing , considering its slower than R9 280 which is available at 17k..
The gtx 960 Asus strix is available for 17k in nehru place delhi.So the Zotac one should be available for 16k in coming weeks.Also the card is faster than 280 and only slightly slower than 285 (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 GPU Benchmark vs. 760, 970, R9 285 ? A $200 Juggernaut | Gamers Nexus - Gaming PC Builds & Hardware Benchmarks) .Also the card just consumes 120W(single 8pin power connector needed),runs so much cooler,doesnt even need to turn fans on for games that require less than 30w power like dota 2 etc. or when idling(i.e much quieter).
If only the card was under 15k sigh/:|

Nerevarine

Incarnate
If only the card was under 15k sigh/
There's a very good reason, it could come down to that price in a couple of months because it is meant to replace the GTX 660 and the 660 in it's own lifespan had a cost of around 13k.. Regarding the benchmarks, i m not sure.. some sites report that R9 280 beats the 960 in a fair amount.. The power consumption is true but if 960's cost is over Rs 2k more than 280, its not recommended, considering it has a 1 GB lower VRAM than 280..

EDIT : That benchmark doesnt even show the position of R9 280.. so in terms of performance R9 285 > 280 > 960.. In terms of Power consumption 960 is better but having an extra GB of RAM at less slightly less cost is much more important, imo

Last edited:

quicky008

Technomancer
The gtx 960 Asus strix is available for 17k in nehru place delhi.So the Zotac one should be available for 16k in coming weeks.Also the card is faster than 280 and only slightly slower than 285 (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 GPU Benchmark vs. 760, 970, R9 285 ? A $200 Juggernaut | Gamers Nexus - Gaming PC Builds & Hardware Benchmarks) .Also the card just consumes 120W(single 8pin power connector needed),runs so much cooler,doesnt even need to turn fans on for games that require less than 30w power like dota 2 etc. or when idling(i.e much quieter).

If only the card was under 15k sigh/:|

But 960 has just 2gb of vram as opposed to 3-4 gb of vram that's usually found on certain versions of R9 270X/R9 280X etc,don't you think because of this the card will struggle to run newer graphically intense games in future which may require >2gb of vram to work properly?

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
But 960 has just 2gb of vram as opposed to 3-4 gb of vram that's usually found on certain versions of R9 270X/R9 280X etc,don't you think because of this the card will struggle to run newer graphically intense games in future which may require >2gb of vram to work properly?

GTX 960 doesnt have enough GPU juice to run games at settings which also requires and eventually exceeds the amount of VRAM its attached with. The gpu will run out of processing power way before it runs out of VRAM. Also, GTX 960 is not really slower than R9 285 in all games, as a matter of fact its faster in games like DA Inquistion, Far cry 4, Alien Isolation and many titles, it trades blows... The price though, could have been a little lower in India. A 200$ card with this performance-per-watt-per-dollar is simply justified.

Palit GTX 960 Super JetStream 2 GB Review | techPowerUp

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's a very good reason, it could come down to that price in a couple of months because it is meant to replace the GTX 660 and the 660 in it's own lifespan had a cost of around 13k.. Regarding the benchmarks, i m not sure.. some sites report that R9 280 beats the 960 in a fair amount.. The power consumption is true but if 960's cost is over Rs 2k more than 280, its not recommended, considering it has a 1 GB lower VRAM than 280..

EDIT : That benchmark doesnt even show the position of R9 280.. so in terms of performance R9 285 > 280 > 960.. In terms of Power consumption 960 is better but having an extra GB of RAM at less slightly less cost is much more important, imo

285 & 280 perform almost same, barring minor differences, so is 960. The only difference is the memory bus width (384-bit in 280, 256-bit in 285 & 128-bit in 960) and extra 1GB VRAM in 280. So unless you are running in a situation where your card will be memory bandwidth starved or need that extra VRAM, you will hardly spot any difference. On the other hand, 280 being EOL, future driver support might become slower.

Bottom line: get the one which is cheaper, and if you absolutely need to grab that 280 , get it while stock lasts.

gagan_kumar

Wise Old Owl
285 & 280 perform almost same, barring minor differences, so is 960. The only difference is the memory bus width (384-bit in 280, 256-bit in 285 & 128-bit in 960) and extra 1GB VRAM in 280. So unless you are running in a situation where your card will be memory bandwidth starved or need that extra VRAM, you will hardly spot any difference. On the other hand, 280 being EOL, future driver support might become slower.

Bottom line: get the one which is cheaper, and if you absolutely need to grab that 280 , get it while stock lasts.

how do we know when a card is EOL??

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's not, current AMD line up goes like this: 295x2 > 290x > 290 > 280x > 285 and so on...

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Gtx 960 - Buy Products Online at Best Price in India - All Categories | Flipkart.com

the 960 is on fk, with the Zotac basic edition at 19250.

this sucks.

:(

- - - Updated - - -

177830 on sd

*www.snapdeal.com/search?keyword=gtx+960&santizedKeyword=&catId=&categoryId=&suggested=false&vertical=&noOfResults=20&clickSrc=go_header&lastKeyword=&prodCatId=&changeBackToAll=false&foundInAll=false&categoryIdSearched=&cityPageUrl=&url=&utmContent=&catalogID=&dealDetail=

- - - Updated - - -

guys, will there be any difference on the PCB for the base edition and the AMP! edition?

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
if you want to upgrade, wait 2-3 months.. mid range gpus are not worth purchasing on launch day

yes, no way before i will buy before that.

my question is: will there be any difference on the PCB for the base edition and the AMP! edition? like VRMs, power delivery and stuff..

Nerevarine

Incarnate
As you can see the Zotac GTX 960 AMP! Edition is overclocked from the start and has a 13% higher boost-clock that the regular GTX 960. We also see that it is basically a GTX 980 cut in half with half the number of CUDA-cores and just 2 GB/128-bit memory interface. The TDP though is very low at 120W. Zotac has decided to offer two DP-connectors instead of two DL-DVI-connectors and we think it is a wise choice as more and more monitors offer a DP-connection.
The cooling solution of the card is set up so the fans stop spinning when the load is low thus keeping it even quieter than usual. Not that this is a noisy card. on the contrary. Zotac calls this “FreezeTech”.

Source - Zotac GTX960 AMP!-edition, Maxwell goes mainstream - Bjorn3D.com

Bhav

Broken In
i want to buy a new gtx card currently 750ti is my choice should i buy it or wait for 950ti dose worth for waiting for 950ti

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
i want to buy a new gtx card currently 750ti is my choice should i buy it or wait for 950ti dose worth for waiting for 950ti

the waiting game is a never ending one and if you have the need and want a suitable gpu now just go for it. You can't be wrong but if you want you can always wait.

Top Bottom