Graphics Cards related queries here.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

Groaan...I did not mean that literally.

You will have a up and running system (CPU, HDD, RAM, CPU, Motherboard), but you loose the liberty to add "n" number of stuff. Probably 2-3 HDDs will do, but now ways can you add say...6.

As a general rule:

Any GPU (non dual PCB or non dual core) which requires a PCI.E PSU connector, 450W is good to go.

450W will give you exact power, you cannot OC, you cannot add extra devices.
Thanks i never knew that for any GPU:smile:
If i plan to overclock it then which PSU should i go for??
thanks

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

you should be able to manage OC with a good 550W+ PSU.

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent

you wont need a 550W+ PSU for running a 9600GT in any situations. A corsair VX450 or a Tagan TG500 or even a Zebby PRO550 can handle it under heavy load.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

^^
He is going to OC...will be safer with a 550W or 550W+ PSU.

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent

VX450 can deliver up to 567w max. at load. Forget that, here my PRO550(HEC OEM) is handling an overclocked Phenom X4 rig including an overclocked HD4870

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

Sure, that is nice.

I generally recommend what the company labels the product as. So the VX450 is rated to provide 450W. Tomorrow if something goes wrong, with the user drawing >450W constantly from the VX450 --- who will he go to, will his claim for RMA/repair hold true.

Pulling 567W constantly from a 450W supply is slightly on the edge. I am not comfortable with that, so nor will I recommend it. The information seeker is more than welcome to try would you have suggested. I have given my say regarding which PSU he should use for his requirements.

Generically speaking, when setting up the OC PSU model, 200W each should be accounted for the CPU and GPU respectively. Rest is left for other mounts, RAM/HDD/Optical drives/other board power bleeds. 400W straight away go to the CPU/GPU.

Post this, the user can choose how much near the threshold he wants to run his PSU. If this component goes, it takes other parts down with it too. And it is difficult to diagnose the problem, until the damage is physically evident.

Better safe than sorry, regarding PSU. I always match them to what the company has rated it as.

Last edited:

paroh

Padawan

Is vtx3d graphic cards (VTX 3D HD 5770) are good ?
*www.vtx3d.com/products_Series.asp?id=2&pid=16

One more think is this card is backward compatible with PCI-E 1 board?

Last edited:

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent

Sure, that is nice.

I generally recommend what the company labels the product as. So the VX450 is rated to provide 450W. Tomorrow if something goes wrong, with the user drawing >450W constantly from the VX450 --- who will he go to, will his claim for RMA/repair hold true.

Pulling 567W constantly from a 450W supply is slightly on the edge. I am not comfortable with that, so nor will I recommend it. The information seeker is more than welcome to try would you have suggested. I have given my say regarding which PSU he should use for his requirements.

Generically speaking, when setting up the OC PSU model, 200W each should be accounted for the CPU and GPU respectively. Rest is left for other mounts, RAM/HDD/Optical drives/other board power bleeds. 400W straight away go to the CPU/GPU.

Post this, the user can choose how much near the threshold he wants to run his PSU. If this component goes, it takes other parts down with it too. And it is difficult to diagnose the problem, until the damage is physically evident.

Better safe than sorry, regarding PSU. I always match them to what the company has rated it as.

ya...you are right. but some products, expecially the VX is seriously underrated. VX450 is actually a Seasonic SII-12 500 OEM PSU for Corsair.

Read this review and you will get my point...

:smile:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

I perfectly get your point buddy. But there must have been a reason for the under rating right. They are playing safe. Not contesting your say. Thanks for the link. It equivalent to OC'ing the PSU, which I would not. :)

Up to the information seeker what he wants to do.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.

What are these AF...AA like 4AA or 2AA...
are both these two important while gaming....

what will the difference if if dont use above two(off) :noob:

more over is graphics improved if i play @1400 * 900 coz i play @ 1024*768 :smile:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

I totally agree with asigh. It is better to go with the rating given by manufacturer than to push the PSU to the limits.

you get a 450W PSU, you make sure that you draw 450W or less power from it.

You have a rig that takes 550W, then you better get a PSU that is RATED to give 550W power.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

What are these AF...AA like 4AA or 2AA...
are both these two important while gaming....

what will the difference if if dont use above two(off) :noob:
more over is graphics improved if i play @1400 * 900 coz i play @ 1024*768 :smile:

Well here you go:

Anti - Aliasing (AA):
Is a technique used to remove the distortion from images. All images are rendered by creating polygon shapes (primitives), and then joining them together. Now obviously a polygon does not have 'round' edges, so we will see jagged edges for non angular shapes. (Example a pipe or wheel). The graphic rendering system sees objects which will have edges of this manner, and apply an AA scheme to those portions of the image. These are basically again primitives which have a different level of opacity then the original image. These two are then joined at run time (the original smooth edges polygon+the AA supporting primitive) to create a non-jagged soft edge.

So if you set 4xAA as the render method it is actually rendering 4 primitives per pixel on your screen at run time...! It is extremely easy to correlate why the AA level immediately take a toll on the FPS.

A method(s) used by GPUs is Full Scene Anti Aliasing (FSAA) or Custom Filter Anti Aliasing (CFAA). You can say FSAA does the work in a full batch per frame. It takes the frame and renders it 2x or 4x times the normal resolution, and then down samples before it is pushed to the screen. So at 4x FSAA each pixel would have 16 super sample pixels. CFAA is a technology that ATI cards are using.

Anistropic Filtering (AF):
Is used to enhance the quality of 'textures' in images. It is used to show greater details at angles which are distant or oblique to the viewer. For example a farm house really far away. This is with respect to the camera and not actually the polygon. This takes up a huge amount of memory bandwidth. Lower resolution textures are used for objects that are further away from the camers (read player), to show the affect of distance.

To quicken this process a logic of 'mipmapping' is used. For example if a window is rendered using 256x256 pixels. Now you want to show this window at a distance, what does one do. It makes the window smaller in size --- but why use 256x256 pixels again..? So a shrunk version with a high quality filter is used. Any many such textures are 'stored' at run time, and re used over and over again. But this involves a lot of calculations and is resourceful on the GPU.

Now another issue arises. With so many mipmaps, when they are joined together, the 'joins' will not look nice. You will get uneven surfaces as distance is varied. We will see this as artifacts. This is corrected by using Trilinear filtering, in this method each mipmap is filtered along x-y axis but also with respect to the mipmap next to it. So as the angle is changed the AF will start to vary.

You have a good GPU. Try to run games, with these setting as a variable, you will start to see a difference. To notice AA, look closely at edges (no linear). And to notice AF look at distant objects. Yes these are important. They are the eye-candy drivers, and vary the performance of the game.

Resolution:
1. 1400 * 900 = 1260000 pixels x FPS
2. 1024*768 = 786432 pixels x FPS

By using (1) you are getting ~ 40% more pixels on the screen. Of course you will see better images, but the GPU has to do more work, so you might see a performance hit.

I totally agree with asigh. It is better to go with the rating given by manufacturer than to push the PSU to the limits.

you get a 450W PSU, you make sure that you draw 450W or less power from it.

You have a rig that takes 550W, then you better get a PSU that is RATED to give 550W power.

Could not have said it better.

Last edited:

abhidev

Human Spambot

Hey guys tell me which one is worth buying...HD4850 or HD4870 so that i can be carefree for next 2 yrs?? Also is it compatible to ASUS P5GCMX MOBO?

Top Bottom