Graphics Cards related queries here.

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

buy HD4870...Asus P5GCMX is 945G mobo I guess. So no problem, it has PCIe slot, but make sure you hav a good PSU.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

if you want to be carefree for next 2 yrs, wait for HD5850's price to come under 15k and grab it.

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent

I perfectly get your point buddy. But there must have been a reason for the under rating right. They are playing safe. Not contesting your say. Thanks for the link. It equivalent to OC'ing the PSU, which I would not. :)

Up to the information seeker what he wants to do.

I totally agree with asigh. It is better to go with the rating given by manufacturer than to push the PSU to the limits.

you get a 450W PSU, you make sure that you draw 450W or less power from it.

You have a rig that takes 550W, then you better get a PSU that is RATED to give 550W power.

I agree with that...we should consider the safe rating given by the manufactures. But even with an OC'ed 9600GT, the system's total power consumption wont go beyond 500W+. If a single 9600GT needs a 500W+ PSU, all those people with high-end GPUs must use some 1kW+ PSUs.

My whole point is that, there is no point in suggesting and using higher rated PSUs without the need for it.

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!

@KaranTh85 - Same here, I moved from my ol' Samsung CRT monitor to this Acer 19" Widescreen monitor. And, sadly, I didn't notice any "it's great!" visuals. But, it did make the images crispier. Maybe my monitor is bad, but it does greatly improve the quality of images. My ol' GF7900GS was strugglin' to play NFS: Carbon at that res. with No AA and Bilinear filterin' :lol:. Good ol' days. :wah:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

Either...

1. Your CRT was really good.
2. Your LCD is really bad.
3. Your GPU is not powerful enough to power the LCD. (Update your signature man)

I was shocked the first time I moved from my 15" CRT to a 19" DELL.

:)

I agree with that...we should consider the safe rating given by the manufactures. But even with an OC'ed 9600GT, the system's total power consumption wont go beyond 500W+. If a single 9600GT needs a 500W+ PSU, all those people with high-end GPUs must use some 1kW+ PSUs.

My whole point is that, there is no point in suggesting and using higher rated PSUs without the need for it.
Thanks guys for the suggestions .
I just wanted to know one more thing that if I DO NOT OC 9600 GT 1GB then will a Coolermaster/gigabyte 460W PSU be able to handle it?? Coz the NVIDIA site says it requires only 400W
thanks..

Last edited:

r4gs

In the zone

There should be a separate psu related thread.
Now i'm totally confused. nvidia.com recommended a 550w power supply for my initial gtx260 sonic (now gtx275), so i took the cm600 thinking it was sufficient. After, the lecture i got, it seemed that vx450 provides 570w, which is more than a cm600. But now, what i am understanding is, is that a 600w psu is better than a 450w because it can provide more continuous power? Does that mean that if i game a lot, my psu is more suitable than a vx450 as nvidia recommended?
What am i missing here? Can someone please help me out?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

^^
The VX450 is an excellent PSU. But as per the manufacturing company it is rated to support 450W of equipment. Tests have proven that it 'can' support upto 570W. At this condition it is being heavily stressed. Personally when pertaining to PSU I am not in favor of this model.

Your PSU is calibrated to support 600W. Which is good. With all your equipment you will have over head, and not be stressing the PSU beyond its 100% capacity. But if you follow the vx450--->570W model, you can make do with that too, but you are running the PSU beyond its certified/tested strength.

Constantly running it at vx450--->570W, there is a higher probability of PSU failure. Please note, not saying 'it can happen', but the probability goes up. With your 600W, the probability is much lower.

Hope this makes sense. You have a good PSU. Enjoy.

Krow

Crowman

^^
The VX450 is an excellent PSU. But as per the manufacturing company it is rated to support 450W of equipment. Tests have proven that it 'can' support upto 570W. At this condition it is being heavily stressed. Personally when pertaining to PSU I am not in favor of this model.

Your PSU is calibrated to support 600W. Which is good. With all your equipment you will have over head, and not be stressing the PSU beyond its 100% capacity. But if you follow the vx450--->570W model, you can make do with that too, but you are running the PSU beyond its certified/tested strength.

Constantly running it at vx450--->570W, there is a higher probability of PSU failure. Please note, not saying 'it can happen', but the probability goes up. With your 600W, the probability is much lower.

Hope this makes sense. You have a good PSU. Enjoy.
To me it does not make much sense. With a poor 600W unit like the CM Extreme 600W, the probability of PSU failure is much much higher at lower loads than the rated 600W. With VX450W, the PSU can easily take loads higher than its rated output. In real world there are like less than 5% of rigs which take 600W power. Most rigs consume much much lesser. Even an i7 rig which is overclocked along with a great GPU takes about 350-450W power as read in an article at Guru3D.

Your statement holds true for good PSU's like CM Real Power Pro or Corsair, etc, but certainly not for the CM Extreme series, which is grossly overrated by the company. IIRC, it is actually OEM of some company's 500W unit. CM Extreme 500W and 600W both are OEM of the same 500W unit. How can it be worth its rated power?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

^^
What I meant was, that he is all right with his 600W for now. He would also be fine with the VX450, but he should not go beyond the 450W limit for the VX450. He is seeing the 570W figure for the VX450.

r4gs is worried that his 600W will not hold up. Will it not hold upto 600W..? Please correct me if wrong. I am a 'noob' for CM PSUs, so never recommend them.

End of the day what would be better:

Run > 450W on:

1. VX450.
2. CM Extreme 600W.

?

janitha

Wise Old Owl

In addition to the factors being discussed, efficiency will be much lower at the highest rating.

Krow

Crowman

IMHO it will be the VX450W. Though 600W is over the capacity of both PSU's, but from whatever little I know, I can tell you that the CM Extreme 600W can deliver lesser power than the VX450W and also it is less efficient than the same.

Coming to r4gs, for a GTX 275, VX450W is a little less. Instead, he can get either the Seasonic S12II Bronze 500W or Corsair VX550W.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

^^
Why you want him (or other readers) to pull > 450W from a 450W rated PSU. Damn..!

Krow, would you pull > 450W from a 450W rated PSU..? Is Corsair a fool, to rate their PSU in such a manner. It is obviously for a reason. OK..and lets not go down the path, that we OC our CPU/GPUs/RAMs when they are rated such and such. But it is proven that 'can' work provided certain provisions are taken.

What provision we have for PSU over load, apart from some tests done by labs. Man, it is the heart of the computer. I will never recommend this.

r4gs all ready has the CM PSU. So he cannot do much. Probably he will feel like grabbing the guys (by the b****) who recommended him this PSU. I did not for sure.

Krow

Crowman

^Even I have not recommended pulling >450W from the VX450W, have I? :) All I have said is that the CM Extreme 600W can pull lower loads than the VX450W and that too at a lower efficiency. The VX450W, although overpriced, is a good unit. Comparing it to the CM Extreme 600W is not justified. :)

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

^
End of the day, r4gs is jacked. And due to this forum. Which is really really sad.

:(

For this very reason, I always stick to manufacturer specifications and thresholds when recommending stuff. (Example: Buy the AM3 CPU, not sure exact (noob here), and unlock the 4th core). Even when suggesting OC, I always warn the OP, that it is hazardous, and can lead to 100% component failure or systematic deterioration -- which is hard to detect.

I made the VX450 to CM E 600W comparison, since I was not aware of the low performance of the CM unit. Sad. Apologies if I misunderstood you, Mr. Krow. :)

Krow

Crowman

Hey come on! Since there are so few members anyway, we have the advantage of being away from formalities. :) We are all friends here. All views are welcome and open to discussion. :)

Even I prefer to stay away from topics of which I know little or nothing of. Better safe than sorry. :)

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

^^ Yea that is true. But during this friendly discussion, at times information seekers, take our recommendation for 'line in stone', and make a bad purchase.

r4gs purchased a CM E 600W. He got it as suggested by this forum. See his official signature..! Gives me a feeling of guilt, and shakes my confidence, in a place like this.

Personally, I never give any leverage when recommending PSU. I remember when I got my system (it was stuff worth ~60K), I went way over kill for the PSU. To risky to suggest/buy threshold equipment for concerning PSU.

Hope other members read this, and are more careful in the future.

Krow

Crowman

I'm not sure if anyone from this forum recommended the PSU to him. If I read his statement correctly, then it is more like he got the CM Extreme 600W, then came here thinking that he has a great PSU. Then he met you, me and tkin. Then he got a nice lecture, which cleared some doubts, but created some more. :) In fact, this exacy debate was on TE a long time ago. The thread is a sticky there even today. Here is the link :

*www.techenclave.com/pc-peripherals/corsair-vx-450w-vs-coolermaster-extreme-128757.html

Please read it for further knowledge. :)

Top Bottom