Graphics Cards related queries here.

r4gs

In the zone
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

I have a question about PhysX.
As I understand it, any card with CUDA support can be used for PhysX, and as nvidia owns Aegia, only nvidia cards support PhysX, though ATi is also perfectly capable of it but lacks drivers. Also, on wikipedia it is written that there is a patch for Windows 7 that allows PhysX on ATi cards.
Now, suppose we have a standard ATi card, what happens in games that support PhysX and run on it without the hack mentioned on wikipedia?
Will GRAW 2's Aegia island run? will all the particle and fluid effects seen in cryostasis be the same? Does the CPU compensate for the lack of PhysX by doing the calculations itself, at a slight performance loss?
I'm a bit confused on this point, because if the game doesn't look as good as it does with PhysX than without, then what really is the point of buying an ATi card?
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
Especially considering this video *www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0xRJt8rcmY
Posted again:
Especially considering this video *www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0xRJt8rcmY

Last edited:

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness

@r4gs

Aegia PhysX is just a driver.It even works with ATi cards too.(Refer asigh's thread where he mentioned this in detail). And not many games supporting PhysX, so dont worry a lot about it,even not so many titles out there comes with PhysX:razz:.

If an ATi card is detected, the PhysX will be disabled, but still the game looks so cool. PhysX doesnt make the game look much prettier,may be a lil bit,which i even negotiable.
GRAW2's Aegia runs well with ATi cards..

PhysX is just a key of nVIDIA to attract more customers towards them. Thats why they're not giving ATi the freedom to use it.

PhysX is just like DX11. Both Over-hyped but still unused. I still haven't seen more DX10.1 titles out yet. So there is no way PhysX would dominate the gaming industry and so dont worry, go get the ATi card, and rock the games..:D :D

r4gs

In the zone

If you look at the video, there are cloth effects which are completely absent without PhysX.
In the cryostasis video, there is flowing water, superb particle effects(snow flowing in the direction of the wind, water melting off the ice and pooling), PhysX is adding a cosmetic touch, but it is so much more beautiful. Especially when you have the hardware to run it.

I've played cryostasis with my 260 sonic and believe me, without physX, the game would lose a lot of its ambience. This makes a lot of difference at higher resolutions like 1680x1050 and above.
What would FEAR have been without the bump-mapped decals and fancy dust effects?
Those were cosmetic additions but they really added to the experience.

Why i mentioned ati is because it seems that nvidia has disabled support for ATi based PhysX. That is also why I mentioned the Windows7 ATi physX hack.

Also, there are plenty of games supporting physX, just do a google search or a search in wikipedia.

I guess for low-end cards PhysX doesn't really matter as they don't really have the grunt to run games at higher settings, but for the high-end cards it is important, especially when every other setting is maxxed out and there is still power to spare.

I was initially intending to buy a Radeon 4870 at the time I bought the 260 sonic, but after seeing what physX can do, I doubt I'll switch back to ATi as long as there is no PhysX support. There really doesn't seem to be any point in buying a 10+k card and then not having the capability to run all games with all the bells and whistles enabled.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

@r4gs:
Well PhysX is a technology developed by nVidia. There are some games, which require it, so ATI users 'have to' install the driver.

PhysX is just an add-on to the game. It is not the end-of-the-world for games in terms of eye-candy. As an ATI user, I able to see 'some' PhysX since it runs of the CPU. But yes I miss a lot.

The reason we go for ATI cards, they provide immense value for money. I in fact have 2, since I run them in Xfire.

r4gs

In the zone

I never meant that it is 'the-end-of-the-world' for games or anything like that.
All I'm saying is that PhysX makes a difference to a game, cosmetically, but it is a difference worth considering.
It is cosmetic, but then so are fancy fog effects, specular lighting, HDR, motion blur, etc.

If crysis would implement PhysX, I am sure it would yield a performance boost in the game as it would off-load from the CPU.

What I would prefer is if game developers themselves implement a CUDA based physics engine and not just use PhysX as it is very partial to nvidia. Something like an OpenGL open-source standard, but specifically for physics so that it is compatible with directX and openGL.

All game developers are giving increasing importance to physics in their games and if some other option doesn't come, ATi is sure to feel the pinch in the long run.

tkin

Back to school!!

I never meant that it is 'the-end-of-the-world' for games or anything like that.
All I'm saying is that PhysX makes a difference to a game, cosmetically, but it is a difference worth considering.
It is cosmetic, but then so are fancy fog effects, specular lighting, HDR, motion blur, etc.

If crysis would implement PhysX, I am sure it would yield a performance boost in the game as it would off-load from the CPU.

What I would prefer is if game developers themselves implement a CUDA based physics engine and not just use PhysX as it is very partial to nvidia. Something like an OpenGL open-source standard, but specifically for physics so that it is compatible with directX and openGL.

All game developers are giving increasing importance to physics in their games and if some other option doesn't come, ATi is sure to feel the pinch in the long run.
Well I agree to you mostly except the performance part, for PhysX enabled titles, it causes massive FPS drop, in Batman AA for example, it brings eye candy no doubt but you need a dedicated GPU to power it properly, something like the 9600GT is good enough for that.

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!

:+1: completely. PhysX rocks! But there was no fps drops for me in Batman: AA. And a separate GPU for PhysX!? May God buy us that, know what I mean? :D Why is NVIDIA pushin' GT300's release? Can't wait for it. BTW, will there be any below 14k GT300s?

tkin

Back to school!!

:+1: completely. PhysX rocks! But there was no fps drops for me in Batman: AA. And a separate GPU for PhysX!? May God buy us that, know what I mean? :D Why is NVIDIA pushin' GT300's release? Can't wait for it. BTW, will there be any below 14k GT300s?
No, by drop I mean, try turning PhysX on and off and measure FPS, it takes a huge hit but still remains playable for me @ 1680x1050 all maxed out 2xAA, gives 30FPS avg with Max PhysX, turning it off pushes it to 60-70s easily.

Well I agree to you mostly except the performance part, for PhysX enabled titles, it causes massive FPS drop, in Batman AA for example, it brings eye candy no doubt but you need a dedicated GPU to power it properly, something like the 9600GT is good enough for that.
Seriously will 9600 GT be able to run games at med./high settings, with good resolution and physx turned on :shock::shock:

r4gs

In the zone

That is exactly why I mentioned that PhysX is a factor when buying a high-end card and not so much for mid-range and lower end cards which struggle to even use Anti-aliasing.
Also, of course you need a dedicated GPU, PhysX is only available on CUDA enabled graphics cards, or with the PhysX chipset purchased seperately.

If you see the PhysX on/off videos of cryostasis, mirror's edge and Batman AA on youtube, the visual difference is very noticeable. In such a situation, I would hate to have even the best ATi card without having those effects.

Performance gain was only in reference to Crysis, which uses a very CPU heavy engine. There are a lot of reviews I've seen where the FPS maxxed out because of bottlenecking from even powerful processors with this engine.

For ATi owners, it seems there is a hack available on www.ngohq.com which allows PhysX on ATi cards. It is unconfirmed so it would be good if someone could check it out, especially as I have an nvidia card and can't do it myself.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness

Seriously will 9600 GT be able to run games at med./high settings, with good resolution and physx turned on :shock::shock:

He said using 9600GT as dedicated for PhysX along with another high-end GPU, so that all the PhysX works will be done by 9600GT and rest will be handled by other GPU. Got it..

tarun123verma

Right off the assembly line

i hav intel g31 based motherboard........
i want to install nvidia 9800 gtx+ graphics card
is my motherboard support this card...........
plz reply soon

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness

i hav intel g31 based motherboard........
i want to install nvidia 9800 gtx+ graphics card
is my motherboard support this card...........
plz reply soon

If you want us to answer this question, just give us all the necessary details.. like
Your mobo model..
What proccy do u have?

r4gs

In the zone

I'm running a GTX275 on the g31. If you have a PCIe 16x slot and an adequate power supply, you should have no problem running the card.
Give your system specs though, including mobo model no.

r4gs

In the zone

Anyone know where to get the review of the standard galaxy gtx275 896mb card?
My friend is getting it and there is absolutely no mention of it on any of the sites I checked and google search isn't helpful either.

There are reviews of the Galaxy GTX 275 OC edition with a tri-fan cooler but that is not the one I want.
The digit magazine mentions the card but there is no review.

My friend is primarily interested in the description of the cooling system.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

I think you would get an increase in FPS if the PhysX is manually disabled, and you are running it on a single card.

The ideal way to do it is:
Place a powerful card like a GT285 for primary, and install a 8xxx or 9xxx series, on the second slot for PhysX, and SLI them. This way you will always maintain the FPS.

No, by drop I mean, try turning PhysX on and off and measure FPS, it takes a huge hit but still remains playable for me @ 1680x1050 all maxed out 2xAA, gives 30FPS avg with Max PhysX, turning it off pushes it to 60-70s easily.

Yes this will happen for sure. Is pure sense. Since less is being done by the card, when PhysX is off.

Good resolution relative to you is..??

Anyone know where to get the review of the standard galaxy gtx275 896mb card?
My friend is getting it and there is absolutely no mention of it on any of the sites I checked and google search isn't helpful either.

There are reviews of the Galaxy GTX 275 OC edition with a tri-fan cooler but that is not the one I want.
The digit magazine mentions the card but there is no review.

My friend is primarily interested in the description of the cooling system.

Well, here is the home page for the same. I found reviews of the same, but not the exact Galaxy one. Such a weird memory bus width they are using -- 448BIT.

It has a dual - slot cooler, with a nice big fan. Should keep it cool.

Performance gain was only in reference to Crysis, which uses a very CPU heavy engine. There are a lot of reviews I've seen where the FPS maxxed out because of bottlenecking from even powerful processors with this engine.

Where you read this about Crysis. Crysis is heavily dependent on the GPU. It is not a GTA IV.

Last edited:

paroh

Padawan

@asigh can u please look at this
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1187368#post1187368

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

^^ replied...!

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1187391&postcount=347

Last edited:

r4gs

In the zone

Where you read this about Crysis. Crysis is heavily dependent on the GPU. It is not a GTA IV.

Crysis depends a lot on graphics power, but when you max out graphics, the PC is a bottleneck.
I did mention in a previous post, a sort of review of the 260 sonic, that crysis was bottlenecked by my CPU.
What I noticed was that I got a very steady 24-26 fps regardless of what was happening on the screen, regardless of whether AA was on or off, this does qualify as a cpu bottleneck.
On overclocking from 2.8GHz to 3.4GHz, I found an increase of about 6fps.
Obviously in this situation, any processing load off the CPU will lead to an increase in performance as the graphics card was capable of more.
In a many of the reviews I read, crysis's frame rate maxxed out on certain G cards on even high end systems.
All said and done, Crysis runs on one of the heaviest game engines ever made which really stresses every component of the system.

Top Bottom