Graphics Cards related queries here.

Parry Buddy

Right off the assembly line
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

I have Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93 Ghz E7500 with 4gb 800Mhz Ram Motherboard came pre-installed
I have Nvidia 8400 GS 512MB
I want to play GTA-IV on my rig.

Will 9600 GT 1024MB work, to play GTA-IV fine on it, and can I install both GFX cards parallel.

If this won't work please suggest me a compatible graphic card that can play GTA-IV smoothly.
I have a budget of Rs. 5000-7000

Krow

Crowman

I think GTA IV is cpu dependent and not very GPU dependent. Get GTA IV first its only 500 bucks and test. If it doesn't work, then upgrade gfx.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

I have Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93 Ghz E7500 with 4gb 800Mhz Ram Motherboard came pre-installed
I have Nvidia 8400 GS 512MB
I want to play GTA-IV on my rig.

Will 9600 GT 1024MB work, to play GTA-IV fine on it, and can I install both GFX cards parallel.

If this won't work please suggest me a compatible graphic card that can play GTA-IV smoothly.
I have a budget of Rs. 5000-7000

9600GT should be fine for GTA-IV as it is CPU dependent. You can install both cards in parallel if you have x2 PCI Express 2.0 lanes on the motherboard and it is SLI certified. But this would be a waste cause the 9600GT will down clock automatically to 8400GT capacity. Do not do this.

I think GTA IV is cpu dependent and not very GPU dependent. Get GTA IV first its only 500 bucks and test. If it doesn't work, then upgrade gfx.

Yea..so this.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yup, he can install both cards parallel but he will not be able to get sli as you just cannot sli two different gpu's & if he has a intel mobo mobo with 2x pci-e slot then it's not possible to get sli on intel LGA775 series mobos ( though there is hack available but it will not work with two different gpus' )

GTA4 will lag too much on a 8400GS and as he has a budget of Rs. 7K he should consider Palit GTS 250 or Sapphire HD4850 :p ( so note that they will require a good PSU ). If he has not got a branded PSU then he should consider a 9600Gt and a good PSU :p

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

Yup, he can install both cards parallel but he will not be able to get sli as you just cannot sli two different gpu's & if he has a intel mobo mobo with 2x pci-e slot then it's not possible to get sli on intel LGA775 series mobos ( though there is hack available but it will not work with two different gpus' )

GTA4 will lag too much on a 8400GS and as he has a budget of Rs. 7K he should consider Palit GTS 250 or Sapphire HD4850 :p ( so note that they will require a good PSU ). If he has not got a branded PSU then he should consider a 9600Gt and a good PSU :p

Oh yea..forgot. Yea, you cannot mix nVidia GPUs. It is possible with X-Fire. :)

9600GT should be enough for him to prowl Liberty City / or is it Vice City.

xbonez

NP : Crysis

Two quick questions:

1. If i run games at a resolution of 1920x1080 on a 28" monitor, what kind of details (textures, AA, AF) can i expect of the recent and soon to be released games (Modern Warfare 2, NFS Shift etc.) using a single HD 5850 and dual HD 5850s in X-fire at playable framerates

2. What's the performance difference: 2 x HD 5850 (SLI) v/s 1 x HD 5870

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

Two quick questions:

1. If i run games at a resolution of 1920x1080 on a 28" monitor, what kind of details (textures, AA, AF) can i expect of the recent and soon to be released games (Modern Warfare 2, NFS Shift etc.) using a single HD 5850 and dual HD 5850s in X-fire at playable framerates

You will mount (2) to what type of system. (Primarily CPU / Motherboard / RAM)..?

xbonez

^^ sorry, forgot to copy them from my post in the previous page.

Motherboard: EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 X58 3-Way SLI Core i7 Motherboard
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz 8M L3 Cache
Cabinet: Antec Twelve Hundred ATX
Power Supply: Corasir CMPSU 850W TX Series Crossfire/SLI certified
RAM: Corsair 3x2GB Dominator 1600MHz Tri-Channel (8-8-8-24)
HDD: 2 x WD 640GB Caviar Black in RAID 0
Processor Cooling: Cooler Master V8 Nickel Plated Copper Base Aluminum Fins 8 Heatpipes Core i7 1366 CPU Cooler

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Thats Crossfire dude. BTW HD4870 1GB Crossfire will be suitable for you, but before that check whether your mobo has the Crossfire support.(That EVGA X58 3-way SLI) AFAIK SLI boards don't support Crossfire.Ain't so? :rolleyes:

So just go for 2xGTX 260 SP216(Whatever edition ,Superclocked or underclocked :D :lol: ). Go for it. It'll compete with the 28" HD Monitor.

Dunno about HD4850 CF / HD4870 CF, but sure they beat the a$$ of nVIDIA cards in that range.The closer one is GTS250 in SLI for HD4850 and GTX 260 in SLI match HD4870 CF. Do some research by reading reviews of HD4870 in CF and GTX 260 in SLI and you may come to a conclusion.

As far as I know x58 chipset supports both SLI and CF ! :p

But evga x58 does not provide CF bridge with x58 mobos so if anyone wants CF then they have to arrange that CF connector or bridge. ( As far as I know ATI provides that CF bridge with high end gfx cards. )

But there are exception like MSI X58 Platinum which supports only CF. So later they poped out a version called X58 Platinum SLi to support SLI :p
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
Two quick questions:

For your queries go through all pages of this review. You will get all answers you have :p

*www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5850,2433.html

Last edited:

xbonez

^^ thanks for the link. after some research, I think I've decided to go for the HD 5870. a single 5870 saves me about $160 over 2 HD5850s. I can use that saved up money to crossfire my 5870 eventually when I feel the need.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

^^ thanks for the link. after some research, I think I've decided to go for the HD 5870. a single 5870 saves me about $160 over 2 HD5850s. I can use that saved up money to crossfire my 5870 eventually when I feel the need.

Wow...nice set up you will have. The card will come with the Xfire connector, so do not worry about that. Where will you buy your stuff from...?

r4gs

In the zone

I'm having a problem with my display.
I have a Palit GTX 260, 896mb 216sp sonic edition card.
Until last night, my comp was working perfectly fine and i played a few games.
This morning the display is just refusing to show.
There doesn't seem to be a signal coming from the G card as the monitor power light just blinks.
The g card however, seems to be running at full load with fans at 100% judging by the sound level.(Which is how it always boots up, but the fans subside within a few seconds and the display comes on. Not this time though )
I'm currently using the onboard graphics.
Complete system specs are as follows..

intel core2duo e7400
Kingston DDRII 800MHz 2gbx2 RAM
Seagate 500gb HDD
Coolermaster RS600 PCAR E3 power supply (600W)
Palit GTX 260 Sonic 216sp 896mb G card
gigabyte ga g31m es2l motherboard.

The card is only around 4 months old and has never given problems. There were a few times when the display would flicker a bit, as if there were a mobile phone near the display, but that turned out to be a low voltage problem at the mains.

r4gs

In the zone

Coolermaster RS600 PCAR E3 power supply (600W)

Mentioned in the post.
I've been using it without any trouble for 4 months.
I've played system heavy games like crysis, etc for hours without a problem.
I have also been working with Maya, etc. Never any problems

I was playing cryostasis for about 2 hrs before sleeping. Problem started this morning.

r4gs

In the zone

can low voltage damage the power supply or g card? i'm using a 600VA UPS.

Top Bottom