Graphics Cards related queries here.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: Graphics Cards related "general" queries here.

Plus they give the actual gameplay data over a timeframe and also give the highest playable settings. I think as an end user I am looking more towards this sort of information rather than some stupid numbers. What does 100 fps really means in real life? Nothing.
That's why I like their reviews honestly. And the best thing was when they only compared GTX 590 and HD 6990 only @ 5760x1200 in their review. You had people fighting over X gives 250fps and Y gives 235fps @ 1600x1050.

tkin

Back to school!!

That's why I like their reviews honestly. And the best thing was when they only compared GTX 590 and HD 6990 only @ 5760x1200 in their review. You had people fighting over X gives 250fps and Y gives 235fps @ 1600x1050.
Neither 590 nor 6990 gives very good FPS @ 2560x1600 for games like Crysis, Metro 2033, Just cause 2 etc, so suppose I game @ 2560x1600, then that kind of review is useless to me.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

Neither 590 nor 6990 gives very good FPS @ 2560x1600 for games like Crysis, Metro 2033, Just cause 2 etc, so suppose I game @ 2560x1600, then that kind of review is useless to me.
Their purpose was to compare the raw performance of both the cards which they do pretty well in their Apples-to-Apples comparison over a timeline. A multi-monitor resolution with AA varying depending upon the game to give you playable FPS.

Most other sites don't even give you a multi-monitor comparison. Everyone decides upon their opinion after reading multiple reviews anyways. So it doesn't make much difference to me or you both.

damngoodman999

damnbadman666

Yes , they kind's give give different review - which i take it from now ! but i believe GURU3D , TECHPOWERUP & ANANDTECH are some of the reliable reviewers we can trust on them , lets wait for them to show up on the GTX 560ti Hawk

Also i should agree with u ICO - GTX 560ti or any fermi chips are totally higher power consumption , but having PSU like HX 620 is not a problem at all !:p

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.

^^the opposite shop owner told me dat its not fixed sometimes 1.00 or 2.00pm etc

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member

Lynx India is selling XFX 5870 1GB @ 12K. Details here:-
XFX 1gb Graphic card 1GB 5870 is available @ LYNX store for 12000/- including shipping. Mail us at onlinesales@lynx-india.com for placing an order. ― Lynx - The Audio , Electronics And Computer Online Store In India.

Now beat that price. However, one thing I am a bit concerned is that they haven't posted any link to the product. This is something new I am seeing in Lynx.

tkin

Back to school!!

Lynx India is selling XFX 5870 1GB @ 12K. Details here:-
XFX 1gb Graphic card 1GB 5870 is available @ LYNX store for 12000/- including shipping. Mail us at onlinesales@lynx-india.com for placing an order. ― Lynx - The Audio , Electronics And Computer Online Store In India.

Now beat that price. However, one thing I am a bit concerned is that they haven't posted any link to the product. This is something new I am seeing in Lynx.
For 14k you can get a 560 and it beats 5870 and has a better tessellator for DX11 games. But very good option for people who have a 5870, cfx ftw.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member

For 14k you can get a 560 and it beats 5870 and has a better tessellator for DX11 games. But very good option for people who have a 5870, cfx ftw.

And also for someone who have a tight budget. I think 5870 is better than 6870. If both are priced same (at 12K they are), choosing 5870 would be wiser if you don't plan to CF in future or your mobo has only one x16 slot.

tkin

Back to school!!

And also for someone who have a tight budget. I think 5870 is better than 6870. If both are priced same, choosing 5870 would be wiser if you don't plan to CF in future or your mobo has only one x16 slot.
Someone buying a GPU now would definitely play DX11 games, BF3 comes to mind, 5870 has the first gen tessellator, that will chock in tess heavy games. Even GTX460 is faster than a 5870 in tess heavy games and benchmarks.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member

My point is you have just 12K to spend on GPU, what to do? In shader-heavy titles 5870 may be helpful. Another query, as I am not very clear about it, is DX11 all about tessellation, nothing else? Is DX11=DX10+tessellation?

clear_lot

Journeyman

Another query, as I am not very clear about it, is DX11 all about tessellation, nothing else? Is DX11=DX10+tessellation?

dx11 has other features also. such as better threading in API's . search Wikipedia for more .
but many changes are at the low level. any new extra features in dx11 have to be used by the game developers to be experienced by the user. even tessalation is not used effectively in most games. its mostly added as an afterthought.

also, dx11 may not be simply for "better graphics". its also for better performance, if implemented properly. Eg., civilization 5 has better performance in dx11 as compared to dx9.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yeah MS has promised better performance compared to dx9 since dx10 days and it is yet to be materialized. I don't know why people always equates dx11 to tessellation. Tessellation is definitely the killer feature but there's more than that about dx11. If you have seen the CryEngine 3 videos you will know what I mean.

POST ADDED

Some food for thought here:-

Maximum PC | Nvidia Licenses SLI to AMD, Did Hell Freeze Over?

And here's nVIDIA's blog post:-

You Asked for It, You Got It: SLI for AMD

What does it mean to you guys? Please comment. For me it looks like AMD's next-gen CPUs really have something special up their sleeves. And what's next? Some PhysX beauty alongside a Radeon GPU, without any hacks ;)

Last edited:

clear_lot

Journeyman

will a gtx580 work in INTEL DG35EC motherboard? i know pcie 2.0 is backwards compatible with pcie 1.0, but there have been some instances of incompatibility, basically with BIOS that are not updated by manufacturer.

can anyone confirm if the card will work in the motherboard?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

^^ yes. will work. PCIe 2.0 offer more bandwidth. nothing else. nothing like incompatibility.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

congrats. it fitted well inside your Elite 310? without any cable problem?

Top Bottom