Graphics Cards related queries here.

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

^^Sapphire ftw.....:D

Palit is VFM
Sapphire performs better but this time around both are similarly priced.

Go for Sapphire then.

i dunno wat to do....
have u taken into account the dual slot based cooler design of the palit card i mentioned?(it doesnt throw heat outta case tho)
moreover the palit card giver 3yr wrranty,sapphire only 2yrs.(not that it matters)
most imp for me,i m getting the acrd hereitslf,as soon as i pay up! :)

so wat say you now?

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.

^^Palit might have a larger warranty time but its customer care is sh1t to say the least. Sapphire performs better and its customer care is good too. I vote for Sapphire mate.

imgame2

Padawan

new pic posted(its a look alike tho)!
yeah,i think so!
so what do i do? what are ur plans?

so?what do i do?do i go for it?or do i order sapphire from lynx?

hmmm it looks good ...how are the distributors ?? i mean triupati ??...even i asked for the price yesterday they said ..they are not sure but price should be around 10.5k for palit or gecube ...sapphire is costly and not easily available at my place...

its a good deal at lynx...as far as i have read in different forums ..it really is the same reference design..except for MSI perhaps.also i did not find anybody facing any problem with palit/gecube card.so personally i don't mind going with palit/gecube.

i found one review here which says that palit might comes with a new firmware,which keeps it quieter and cooler than a sapphire version.

here -

*www.bioslevel.com/articles/palit-radeon-hd4850/1

interestingly palit performs better that sapphire in some games and most of the time is equal ...and never falls behind.lets say the review is not as credible as we would like but still one thing is sure palit is not worse than sapphire ..infact its either neck to neck or better than sapphire.

^^Palit might have a larger warranty time but its customer care is sh1t to say the least. Sapphire performs better and its customer care is good too. I vote for Sapphire mate.

i personally think warranty is more dependent on distributor and it varies from place to place....for example i have heard good things about warranty for MSI in other places.but at my place in chennai its pathetic ....its so worse that vendors don't keep MSI products at all ...and when we ask why ..? they say service is bad.now MSI comes up with very good products but we can't get them in one of the four biggest cities of India says something...MSI distributor is politically well connected so MSI can't give distributorship to another person too...

but if distributor is good for that place and gives good after sales service i don't think there should be any problem with buying any product. hence i asked mukherjee how is the distributor tirupati....if they are good and gives good service ..i don't think buying palit should be a problem ...

Last edited:

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

i dunno wat to do....
have u taken into account the dual slot based cooler design of the palit card i mentioned?(it doesnt throw heat outta case tho)
moreover the palit card giver 3yr wrranty,sapphire only 2yrs.(not that it matters)

so wat say you now?

looks like u've finally decided on 4850 .. get the model which has good customer care. .dont bother too much about the cooler.dual slot is well and good but warranty comes first .the default single slot cooler is good enough . . my friend's gecube model doesnt go beyond 70C at load with the fan speed at 60%.
and the fan speed adjustment requires no BIOS modding or anything like that. .just need to edit a file and change the value of fan speed. .no need for special softs .. ati CCC will do the rest. .so , i say get the one with the best after-sale service.

tkin

Back to school!!

i dunno wat to do....

so wat say you now?

Get the Palit then.They're good.

AND trust me, Dual slot cooling really helps.One of my friends got the single slot XFX 8800GT and after some gaming the case gets enough heated for him to boil an egg.:D

Good choice.

imgame2

Padawan

looks like u've finally decided on 4850 .. get the model which has good customer care. .dont bother too much about the cooler.dual slot is well and good but warranty comes first .the default single slot cooler is good enough . . my friend's gecube model doesnt go beyond 70C at load with the fan speed at 60%.
and the fan speed adjustment requires no BIOS modding or anything like that. .just need to edit a file and change the value of fan speed. .no need for special softs .. ati CCC will do the rest. .so , i say get the one with the best after-sale service.

i have heard the same about gecube models ....they don't face any problem ...how is palit?? though i m thinking to go for palit/gecube as i can get it locally ... both have three years warranty ...

tkin

Back to school!!

i have heard the same about gecube models ....they don't face any problem ...how is palit?? though i m thinking to go for palit/gecube as i can get it locally ... both have three years warranty ...
Palit's good.Has a lot of reputation in foreign countries.So it should do good.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.

Get the Palit then.They're good.

AND trust me, Dual slot cooling really helps.One of my friends got the single slot XFX 8800GT and after some gaming the case gets enough heated for him to boil an egg.:D

Good choice.

Thats cr@p. I have a XFX 8800GT myself and eve though I have OC'd it, it dosent go beyond 85C without a cooler on load :|.

tkin

Back to school!!

Thats cr@p. I have a XFX 8800GT myself and eve though I have OC'd it, it dosent go beyond 85C without a cooler on load :|.
It could be due to different revisions.My friend's card was one of the earliest.
Somehow this debate is familer, oh wait, wasn't it same with XFX 8600GT, some card revisions really burned up but got fixed in later ones.
No use arguing over an issue like this.:)

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...

i agree....but the fact that i will be bringing in the sapphire card from chandigarh makes getting warranty a bit of a problem,doesnt it?whats ur suggestion then?
tirupati is gud tho....reputation is good....they distribute msi too,but only mobos :(

also,there are 2 models of sapphire 4850...theres one wid dualslot solution....morover the sapphire bundle is exquisite...not like the shitty skimpy palit bundle(only molex-pcie6pin,dvi-vga,drivercd,quicksatrt guide)

see here : *www.sapphiretech.com/us/products/products_overview.php?gpid=249&grp=3

i will call up lynx,and verify about the acrd and bundle....

hmmm it looks good ...how are the distributors ?? i mean triupati ??...even i asked for the price yesterday they said ..they are not sure but price should be around 10.5k for palit or gecube ...sapphire is costly and not easily available at my place...

its a good deal at lynx...as far as i have read in different forums ..it really is the same reference design..except for MSI perhaps.also i did not find anybody facing any problem with palit/gecube card.so personally i don't mind going with palit/gecube.

tirupati is good....reputation is good....they distribute msi too,but only mobos :(
but as i mentioned b4,the skimpy palit bundle is making me think....if only the sapphire card at lynx is the new dual slot version....what do u say?

what about sapphire with the same fan trick?
also,there are 2 models of sapphire 4850...theres one wid dualslot solution....morover the sapphire bundle is exquisite...not like the shitty skimpy palit bundle(only molex-pcie6pin,dvi-vga,drivercd,quicksatrt guide)

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

^^ no idea abt sapphire. . but i think the same fan trick should do. . i stand by what i said earlier. . get the one which honors the warranty without hassels. . gecube model temps , i'm sure can be controlled very easily.dual slot cooler based card is welcome if warranty is good enough. . dont go by the looks of the bundle. . in any brand , u'll get all the needed and promised features. .and u'll never use that molex to pcie connector. . i think the same is true for other brands , but not sure. i can post it if u need it .now , have u found any more info about warranty ?

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...

^^ no idea abt sapphire. . but i think the same fan trick should do. . i stand by what i said earlier. . get the one which honors the warranty without hassels. . gecube model temps , i'm sure can be controlled very easily.dual slot cooler based card is welcome if warranty is good enough. . dont go by the looks of the bundle. . in any brand , u'll get all the needed and promised features. .and u'll never use that molex to pcie connector. . i think the same is true for other brands , but not sure. i can post it if u need it .now , have u found any more info about warranty ?

well post what u can abt the bundle....

heres what i hv com to knw...

Palit--->from tirupati enterprises,based in kolkata,distributors,3yrs warranty,good record.
bundle:1*dvi-vga,1*6pin sata power,driver disk,quicksetup

sapphire-->lynx,chandigarh,3yrs wrrnty they say(2yrs on sapphire site),record unknown(aditya technologies,local in kolkata,distributors of sapphire said they wont honor warranty of sapphire card bought from lynx)
byndle:1*dvi-vga,1*6pin sata power,1*crossfire bridge,1*dvi-hdmi,1*ccomponent out,driver disk,ruby rom disc,quicksetup

tkin

Back to school!!

Well you're mostly right, but THAT molex to PCIe connector is helpful for cards with 2 power connectors(HD4870/8800GTX/9800GTX) or Crossfire/SLI setup as till recently 2x6pin connecters were rare for mid range 600w P.S.Us.

well post what u can abt the bundle....

heres what i hv com to knw...

Palit--->from tirupati enterprises,based in kolkata,distributors,3yrs warranty,good record.
bundle:1*dvi-vga,1*6pin sata power,driver disk,quicksetup

sapphire-->lynx,chandigarh,3yrs wrrnty they say(2yrs on sapphire site),record unknown(aditya technologies,local in kolkata,distributors of sapphire said they wont honor warranty of sapphire card bought from lynx)
byndle:1*dvi-vga,1*6pin sata power,1*crossfire bridge,1*dvi-hdmi,1*ccomponent out,driver disk,ruby rom disc,quicksetup
If you find proper support in Kolkata then go for Sapphire otherwise its best to go with Palit.
P.S-The extra adapters are available in Chandni and as for RubyRom it mostly contains game demos and wallpapers freely available in the net.
So warranty comes first.
HAPPY GAMING:D

Last edited:

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

^^ i'm assuming he wont do X-fire . if he does , he'll need a better psu anyway. a hd4850 uses only a single 6 pin pcie.
@mukherji,
forget the bundle. . dvi-vga can be found for 200 bucks. .but i dont think u'll be using it at all . .best to use dvi-d with TFT screens. .if u're sure abt palit warranty , get it. .

tkin

Back to school!!

^^ i'm assuming he wont do X-fire . if he does , he'll need a better psu anyway. a hd4850 uses only a single 6 pin pcie.
What if he decides to go for HD4870 later or any other new Card that comes along.
Anyway, the bundles not that important its the warranty that sure counts.

Also, good gaming LCDs(Better contrast ratios and response not to mention the viewing angle) are still costly.Sub 10-12k LCDs are not for gaming.That will definitely set someone back a bit.Also these sub 10-12k LCDs usually do not have DVI input.So DVI to * converters may be required.

Last edited:

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...

If you find proper support in Kolkata then go for Sapphire otherwise its best to go with Palit.
P.S-The extra adapters are available in Chandni and as for RubyRom it mostly contains game demos and wallpapers freely available in the net.
So warranty comes first.
HAPPY GAMING:D

like i sed b4r,aditya technologies kolkata branch will not be taking acre of warranty if i go in forr sapphire bought from lynx.
but tirupati are based in kolkata itself(their HQ).
well my cm500extreme powr provides a 6pin pcie power,so i wont be needing any converters.
i m concerned abt the dvi->hdmi and crossfire bridge connectors....
where in chandni can u find those?plz giv directions in case i go for Palit.

@mukherji,
forget the bundle. . dvi-vga can be found for 200 bucks. .but i dont think u'll be using it at all . .best to use dvi-d with TFT screens. .if u're sure abt palit warranty , get it. .

i will be buying a dell se198wfp(or any other,plz recommend?) and hence use the dvi port itself.
will confirm warranty 2mrw...

Also, good gaming LCDs(Better contrast ratios and response not to mention the viewing angle) are still costly.Sub 10-12k LCDs are not for gaming.That will definitely set someone back a bit.Also these sub 10-12k LCDs usually do not have DVI input.So DVI to * converters may be required.

also i intend to buy a dell se198wfp 19"widescreen lcd wid it....will it do ok with gaming?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

also i intend to buy a dell se198wfp 19"widescreen lcd wid it....will it do ok with gaming?

Above is great for gaming...

As a rule..for GPU..buy dual slot kits..they keep the cores cools..and dissipate heat out/away from the cabinet internals. Better for OC vectors too..!!

Let us know how it performs..! :)

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

@tkin , dint think of such an upgrade. . but then again , i dont expect molex - pcie 6 pin connectors to be very hard to find in the market. and if indeed he does upgrade , he can look if such a converter ( possibly molex- 8 pin pcie ) is in the bundle of the new card he may purchase later. .cross the bridge when u come across the river. .

bottomline , as tkin said , forget the bundle.

@mukherji ,

u better buy the hd4850 ASAP. .else u'll regret it. u have already delayed it a lot. New cards usually come out just before Christmas and u'll be feeling bad that a new card performing possibly better than hd4850 for the same price has been released just after u got the 4850 .. get 4850 while its hot .

dell se198WFP , has 5ms response time. probobly ISO ( black - white - black ) response time. . its not GTG .. so most likely , it doesnt have RTC. . newer monitors have RTC which reduce ghosting significantly has response times of usually 2ms GTG. . those monitors without RTC , have 15-20ms of GTG response times. .i strongly recommend u to buy a monitor with DVI-D and RTC. .i suggest u avoid LG models coz their RTC is prone to errors much more than other companies. .ofcourse , with newer models , that may have changed. have a look at few reviews and then decide. xbitlabs.com is a good place to start

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.

@mukherjee

Yus, I agree that you shoud get the HD4850 ASAP. Regarding the vendor and bundle, well, Sapphire might perform better and have a nice bundle but as you mentioned no-one is agreeing to give you the warranty in Kolkata. Safety comes first, and it applies here too :). I think that NOW your best bet would be Palit.

regenade

Broken In

lol Digit forum users r so unconnected and in stone age. The palit is available for 9150 +shipping :) from ITwares

*www.techenclave.com/dealer-s-paradise/ic-palit-hd4850-512mb-ddr3-cheapset-117914.html

Tirupati guys made a good bakra out of Mr Mukherjee :p

Top Bottom