Graphics Cards related queries here.

OP
geek_rohit

geek_rohit

In the zone
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

UFO007 said:
I have a P4 PC with Intel 845GEBV2 MB. It has onboard graphics. But now I want to upgrade to a better one... Whish one will be the best upgrade??? Is there any way to install an external graphics card in my current MB???
Yes your motherboard has an AGP slot which will let you install an external graphics card.

sinstoic

Right off the assembly line

sinstoic said:
Would you please help?

My old system has:
Intel Pentium III 800MHz Processor
Intel E815EEA Motherboard
512 MB PC133 SDRAM Memory
Mercury 235W SMPS

The motherboard has:
Integrated 82815 Graphics
Universal 4x AGP Slot (supports cards with 3.3V and 1.5V)

The system is used for basic internet browsing and office work. No games.

Currently I am able to run MS Windows Vista Ultimate (Non-Aero) at 640x480 in 16 Bit Colour. I would like to run Aero UI at 1024 x 768 in 16 Bit Colour. Will I be able to do this adding a XFX nVidia GeForce 6200 256MB? Do I need to upgrade my SMPS? If Yes, what do I need (Wattage and brandname)?

Waiting for a solution. Thanks.

I finally upgraded to XFX nVidia GeForce FX 5200 256MB. It fits well on the Universal 4x AGP Slot of my motherboard and works fine on the existing Mercury 235W SMPS.

This is the cheapest card that you can upgrade to in order to run Aero.

gammit

Hi all,

I want to buy a graphics card for 3D work, i use 3dsmax and Maya software, i am planning to buy nVidia's Quadro FX 540 or 560. Which will better? Please also tell me which brand i should go for (BIG, MSI ,PALIT or else) and where i can get these?

Thanks,

hash!!

________

googled a bit for that...
quadro is for realtime rendering... as in its best used by ppl who 'indulge' in 3d modelling, animation etc... othrwise, it sucks for gaming...
geforce is for 'pre-rendering'.... usual gamer stuff... renders the polygons n stuff first, then the end result shows up on ur screen as eye candy...
and from what i read, ppl majorly into serious modelling shld get quadros... its not worth it othrwise... and its sh!t expensive too... theres a huge price diff b/w quadro n geforce cards...
and yea... it gets hardware rendering in maya... havent worked a lot on maya as yet, so dunno wht that means...
so i guess u shld get a geforce/gaming card.... unless ofcourse, ure only into 3d modelling/anim....

gammit

thanks hash,

as i am a professional 3D modeler, i know i have to buy Quadro FX card but problem is there are so many manufacturere that i am unable to decide which one is best in terms of money and performance. if any one can help me out.

hash!!

________

@gammit...
this is fun... cuz im just startin to play around a bit wid 3dsmax, so knowin abt all this is sure gonna help me...
aight so this is wht i've found out... fx 540 is an entry level pro graphics card... ie for 3d modelling/anim... and entry level is kinda expensive cuz of the cult it is aimed at.... 299$.... check out this link for detailed comparison... *features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=3321
all i could figure out is that render time is drastically reduced wid quadro cards or firegl (ati's pro cards).... performance wid design specific softwares is a lot better...
tho they've included a consumer oriented card in the comparison, ie, the 7800gtx... which, i believe is almost the same price range as the fx540 now...
i just went by the figures cuz im pretty much new to the idea of gettin a designing/modelling specific card, and i'd rather stick to the gaming oriented ones at the moment cuz im sadly into both...:D

balagopalks

Broken In

8x Graphics card
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi all,

My machine is a Intel P4(HT)2.4 Ghz machine with 865GBF mother Board, Windows XP-Pro (SP2) and 512 Mb Simtronics DDR Ram.

I plan to buy a graphics card to add on to my machine. Currently there is a 64Mb on board graphics card and Games like NFS most wanted runs on it.
And I would like to play NFS Carbon, so is looking for a new graphics card. 128 or 256 Mb.

Could you please advice which graphics card to buy? My budget is around 3.5 to 4K. I saw Geforce5200, but its a pretty old chipset. I am looking forward for your suggestions of graphics card that supports AGP 8X.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Gopal

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl

I want to buy a graphics card for 3D work, i use 3dsmax and Maya software, i am planning to buy nVidia's Quadro FX 540 or 560. Which will better? Please also tell me which brand i should go for (BIG, MSI ,PALIT or else) and where i can get these?

I'd suggest u to find a 6800GT (nv40 based) .. those are softmoddable to Quadro's and infact perform a lot better than a normal Quadro ... the 6800GT can be softmodded into a Quadro FX4000 (using one myself) ...

Oh btw , make sure u have atleast a dual core for such kind of things , make's a huuuuggee difference ..

Last edited:

gammit

deathvirus_me said:
I'd suggest u to find a 6800GT (nv40 based) .. those are softmoddable to Quadro's and infact perform a lot better than a normal Quadro ... the 6800GT can be softmodded into a Quadro FX4000 (using one myself) ...

Oh btw , make sure u have atleast a dual core for such kind of things , make's a huuuuggee difference ..

but 6800GT is made for gaming purpose. and quadro FX is for workstation. and if you are saying that it is equivalant to Quadro FX 4000(very costly i think).

balagopalks

Broken In

balagopalks said:
8x Graphics card
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi all,

My machine is a Intel P4(HT)2.4 Ghz machine with 865GBF mother Board, Windows XP-Pro (SP2) and 512 Mb Simtronics DDR Ram.

I plan to buy a graphics card to add on to my machine. Currently there is a 64Mb on board graphics card and Games like NFS most wanted runs on it.
And I would like to play NFS Carbon, so is looking for a new graphics card. 128 or 256 Mb.

Could you please advice which graphics card to buy? My budget is around 3.5 to 4K. I saw Geforce5200, but its a pretty old chipset. I am looking forward for your suggestions of graphics card that supports AGP 8X.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Gopal

I am looking forward for a reply for my post! :)

hash!!

________

ohk... softmodding wont help... they say that theres certain features which r available on quadro chips, which can be 'unlocked/softmodded' on geforce variants.....
but dude... that wont help... quadro chips r meant for design specific work... they're built for long duration use.... 3d design apps recognize quadros and give better working options... render time is reduced massively... u can hook up more displays.... u can hook up 2 monitors and one hdtv to a fx540.... sumthn like that... thats like 3 displays.... at a good res....
and about a 6800 being softmodded into a fx4000? i found this : *www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20040428145354.html
it is kinda old though...
cant really say what u have or what ure using... :)
gaming aside, from all that i've read, ppl who r totally into 3d anim/modelling use boards like quadros n firegl's....
cheers... :)
cant say how much the 9600 costs.... thats pretty much alright as well...
as for nvidia cards, i cant really say....

Last edited:

balagopalks

Broken In

Thanks hash, am awaiting to hear others comments on NVidia cards that supports 8X.

Regards
Gopal

SoFtEcH

Broken In

can anyone let me know any of the models and prices (INR) for PCI Graphics Card in 128 MB or 256 MB ?

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl

but 6800GT is made for gaming purpose. and quadro FX is for workstation. and if you are saying that it is equivalant to Quadro FX 4000(very costly i think).

A softmodded 6800GT is infact better than the actual FX4000

GeForce 6800 GT = 16 pixel pipes, 6 vertex processing units, 350 MHz core / 2*500 (1000) Mhz memory speed
Quadro FX 4000 = 12 pixel pipes, 6 vertex processing units, 325 MHz core / 2*500 (1000) Mhz memory speed

ohk... softmodding wont help... they say that theres certain features which r available on quadro chips, which can be 'unlocked/softmodded' on geforce variants.....
but dude... that wont help... quadro chips r meant for design specific work... they're built for long duration use.... 3d design apps recognize quadros and give better working options... render time is reduced massively..

Well , it does work .. 100% , i can put anything on the line for it if i have to .. as i'm using one myself .. a nv40,A1 6800GT softmodded to a Quadro FX4000 . works damm fine .. All Gefore chips are not softmoddable , but only a few are .. and in particular the 6800GT is , and infact works better than the actual FX4000 .. Take a look at these links :

*forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=172822 (how to)

Go through the next few pages , and u'll see direct comparison's between a normal 6800GT and a softmodded FX4000 ... and u'll be shocked literally .. all benchmarks are done using SPECviewperf 6.1.2 ... i've done it following this , and i'm really pleased with the results ..

hash!!

________

wow... this is cool stuff man....
it just felt weird from what i read about the quadro vs 6800, that they're both based on different chips, the quadro4000 being based on a better one ie...
but its all good... read it all on that forum...
killer stuff... :)
all apologies for my previous denial... hehehh...
thanks dude... :)

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl

it just felt weird from what i read about the quadro vs 6800, that they're both based on different chips, the quadro4000 being based on a better one ie...

Only the newer Quadro's are .. viz FX4400 and above .. FX4000 and 6800GT use the same core , nv40 ... infact nv45/nv48 are the same nv40 core , with just a PCIe AGP bridge chip ... though some newer 6800GT's use the nv41 core , ur most probable to find a one with nv40 core ... and if so , ur lucky enough to get a very pwerfull high end Quadro card for almost cheap prices (compare 18k's to over 100k's i presume) ...

balagopalks

Broken In

Looking forward for comments on NVidia cards higher than 5200 that supports 8X.

Regards
Gopal

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl

well .. u'll get anything like FX5700LE , FX5700U , FX5900 Ultra , FX5950XT , 6200 , 6600LE , 6600 , 6600GT , 7300GT , 7600GS , 7600GT , 7800GS ... oh man .. what a list ..

Top Bottom