Graphic Card suggestion

suyashpandit

Digit Addict
Hi Guys,

Let me tell you my short story first, after that I need suggestions for a nice graphic card.

I bought a Compaq Pc with 256mb Ram, P4 2.66 about 4-5 years ago, I played lots of games that time using a 256mb cheap nvidia AGP graphic card, 2 years back my PC failed to run new games because of configuration issues, so my gaming bug dead that time.

Recently I upgraded my PC, I replaced almost every hardware with:
Core2duo 2.93
Asus Motherboard with combo RAM function
24" LG Monitor (1920x1080)
Creative Sound Card + 4.1 sound system
2 GB DDR3
Above things I purchased new
now old things I am using are listed below
Cabinet + SMPS
80 GB Samsung IDE HDD (Master)
160 GB SATA WD HDD (Slave) I purchased it 1 year back

I installed windows XP and i feel that everything is super fast but graphics quality is bit low (I guess i am using VGA, thats why)
I felt happy, but at this point my gaming bug born again so i downloaded Need For Speed Undercover, Game ran without any problem, only graphic quality is bad otherwise game running smoothly.
I downloaded Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands, now I pissed off, What The Hell Man? why this game is running too slow I put lots of money in my PC and its not performing well, why? ...... I realize that Graphic Card is missing :) then I started analyzing thindigit for graphic card suggestions, my journey ends on Redeon HD 5670 because everybody suggesting this card and my budget is 5-6k, while searching GPU's I also seen a PSU issue thats why I opened this thread.

Now my questions are:

1. Which card should I buy in range of 5-6k rupees I can spend bit extra for a good option, I want to say no to VGA and wanna welcome DVI as my monitor supports both. (I live near Nehru Place so i can get whatever I want)

2. Shall I change my SMPS? My Motherboard's power slot is smaller than SMPS's power connector, 16 pins are connected and 4 pins are in air :D I dont know you get it or not.

3. Shall I purchase new HDD? i feel my file transfer is very slow it take 2 mins to move a 1 GB file.

Thanks for you precious time, any other suggestions are welcome.

Regards,
Suyash

Last edited:

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Hi Guys,

Let me tell you my short story first, after that I need suggestions for a nice graphic card.

I bought a Compaq Pc with 256mb Ram, P4 2.66 about 4-5 years ago, I played lots of games that time using a 256mb cheap nvidia AGP graphic card, 2 years back my PC failed to run new games because of configuration issues, so my gaming bug dead that time.

Recently I upgraded my PC, I replaced almost every hardware with:
Core2duo 2.93 :D
Asus Motherboard with combo RAM function :D
24" LG Monitor (1920x1080)
Creative Sound Card + 4.1 sound system
2 GB DDR3
Above things I purchased new
now old things I am using are listed below
Cabinet + SMPS
80 GB Samsung IDE HDD (Master)
160 GB SATA WD HDD (Slave) I purchased it 1 year back

I installed windows XP and i feel that everything is super fast but graphics quality is bit low (I guess i am using VGA, thats why)
I felt happy, but at this point my gaming bug born again so i downloaded Need For Speed Undercover, Game ran without any problem, only graphic quality is bad otherwise game running smoothly.
I downloaded Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands, now I pissed off, What The Hell Man? why this game is running too slow I put lots of money in my PC and its not performing well, why? ...... I realize that Graphic Card is missing :) then I started analyzing thindigit for graphic card suggestions, my journey ends on Redeon HD 5670 because everybody suggesting this card and my budget is 5-6k, while searching GPU's I also seen a PSU issue thats why I opened this thread.

Now my questions are:

1. Which card should I buy in range of 5-6k rupees I can spend bit extra for a good option, I want to say no to VGA and wanna welcome DVI as my monitor supports both. (I live near Nehru Place so i can get whatever I want)

2. Shall I change my SMPS? My Motherboard's power slot is smaller than SMPS's power connector, 16 pins are connected and 4 pins are in air :D I dont know you get it or not.

3. Shall I purchase new HDD? i feel my file transfer is very slow it take 2 mins to move a 1 GB file.

Thanks for you precious time, any other suggestions are welcome.

Regards,
Suyash

Mention the Motherboard Model Number. And for 5-6k, get HD5670 @ 4.5k + FSP Saga II 400W @ 1.7k.

You have to purchase a new HDD with higher cache. SO better get a 500GB or 1TB HDD with 32+ MB cache.

can you mention the brand and model number of you SMPS

Cabinet+SMPS = generic PSU,

Last edited:

Piyush

Lanaya
I dont know, but this 160 HDD is worse than my 80 GB one, thats why i made this 160 as slave.

so now you might need to add a HDD too
you have to increase your budget to 2k so that you can get a good 500gb HDD

go for rajkumar's suggestion for GFX card and PSU and add seagate/WD 500GB HDD @ 1.7k

OP
S

suyashpandit

Digit Addict
Mention the Motherboard Model Number. And for 5-6k, get HD5670 @ 4.5k + FSP Saga II 400W @ 1.7k.

You have to purchase a new HDD with higher cache. SO better get a 500GB or 1TB HDD with 32+ MB cache.

Thanks,

I am in office right now, will tell you motherboard model number tonight, I am planing to purchase things you have mentioned.

so now you might need to add a HDD too
you have to increase your budget to 2k so that you can get a good 500gb HDD

go for rajkumar's suggestion for GFX card and PSU and add seagate/WD 500GB HDD @ 1.7k

hmmm...
Budget is not an issue for me, all I need is a good gaming pc, i defined 5-6k for graphic card only.

Yes, i am adopting rajkumar's suggestion

^^ Just see the top of the HDD. It will give you all the details you want to know about that HDD.

will tell you, I planned to buy a new 500gb HDD

here at Nehru place I can get it in 1.4k brand Seagate/WD

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Thanks,

I am in office right now, will tell you motherboard model number tonight, I am planing to purchase things you have mentioned.

Not needed, it if have a PCIe x16 slot.... :D

hmmm...
Budget is not an issue for me, all I need is a good gaming pc, i defined 5-6k for graphic card only.

Yes, i am adopting rajkumar's suggestion

If budget is not a constraint, then get HD6850(~9k)+VX450W(~3.6k)

will tell you, I planned to buy a new 500gb HDD

here at Nehru place I can get it in 1.4k brand Seagate/WD

cheap HDD = low buffer IMO. So try to get a HDD with 32MB buffer atleast

Piyush

Lanaya
T

since budget is not an issue
you can check out for these options

FSP sagaII 500W @ 2.2k (will be suited for all gfx cards below)

suited for 1600x900 high settings and 1920x1018 low-med settings
HD 5670 512mb @ 4.5k
GTS 450 1gb @ 6.4k
HD 5750 1gb @ 6.4k

suited for 1920x1018 med-high settings
HD 5770 1gb @ 7.4k
GTX 460 768mb @ 8.4k
HD 6790 1gb @ 9k
HD 6850 1gb @ 9.8k

since you have 24" monitor you need at least 5770 card
better to go for 6850 if possible

Last edited:

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^ 6850+FSP SII 500W will be good choice IMO.

@OP

Since you resolution is 1920x1080, just get at least 5770 to get a decent performance, or get a HD6850 (which is just 2k more than 5770) will be good enough to play games in you 24" monitor.

Now Sapphire HD 6850 1gb @ 9.5k + FSP SII 500W @ 2.2k will be good choice. If you can't spend 9.5k on GPU, get 5770 @ 7.4k instead of 6850.

Last edited:
OP
S

suyashpandit

Digit Addict
^^ 6850+FSP SII 500W will be good choice IMO.

@OP

Since you resolution is 1920x1080, just get at least 5770 to get a decent performance, or get a HD6850 (which is just 2k more than 5770) will be good enough to play games in you 24" monitor.

Now Sapphire HD 6850 1gb @ 9.5k + FSP SII 500W @ 2.2k will be good choice. If you can't spend 9.5k on GPU, get 5770 @ 7.4k instead of 6850.

I seen on my board its written PCI Express Gate something, i guess its PCIe x16

I am sticking with HD5770 + FSP SII 500W

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
TBF HD6850 will be a bit future-proof then 5770 and if you don't mind splurge extra 2k, it will be a sweet deal for you. If you're not hardcore gamer, then 5770 will do the job for you.

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
suyashpandit

u played almost all games with P4 & AGP card - thats the fun part !

Raj - am not frustrated , OP just played all games with AGP card !

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^ lol. i thought Liverpool_Fan hacked your account and started spamming... :D

BTW you can see many users still using AGP card and try to play games like Crysis, GTA 4 with that... :D

OP
S

suyashpandit

Digit Addict
suyashpandit

u played almost all games with P4 & AGP card - thats the fun part !

Raj - am not frustrated , OP just played all games with AGP card !

I played NFS carbon and POP t2t with AGP, when i installed undercover I got shattered.

AGP is history :D really I tried my best to play more with that, LoL one day it finally blasted off

BTW you can see many users still using AGP card and try to play games like Crysis, GTA 4 with that... :D

Right.. I know some peoples like that :D

1 quick question, How could I find that HDD has 32Mb cache?

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
*img.tomshardware.com/us/2007/07/13/should_you_care_about_hybrid_hard_drives/samsung-hm16hji-top.jpg

As i said earlier, all HDD's comes with specs written on top side of the HDD. Just like the above one. Here you can see the details.

Top Bottom