Graphic Card + PSU buying advice

xenon91

Right off the assembly line
1. Which Power Supply do you have? (Be EXACT while naming the company and model)
Ans: I am intending to buy one based on the Graphic Card

2. What is your budget?
Ans: Around 15k for the Graphic Card, around 5k for the PSU.

3. Which resolution will you game at?
Ans: Preferably 1920 x 1080.

4. What are your current computer specifications?
Ans: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz, 3 GB RAM

Firstly, I have a few of doubts:
1. My motherboard is pretty old (4 years), so I doubt if would it be PCI-E 3.0 compliant (my current graphic card is PCI-E 2.0). Since all the graphic cards that I have been looking for are PCI-E 3.0, would they also be compatible with PCI-E 2.0?
2. I have a very normal cabinet (not particularly spacious), will this cause heavy heating issues as I decide to buy a good graphic card?
3. How much of difference will a jump from 3 GB to 4 GB RAM make for gaming? Is it absolutely critical?

After some looking around on this forum, I feel Sapphire AMD/ATI HD 7850 HDMI 2 GB would be a good option. Would like to hear opinions and other suggestions. Also, please suggest a PSU appropriate to the Graphic card you suggest.

Thanks.

> hd7850 is the best vfm at your budget. As far as psu is concerned, cx430v2 will do the job but I suggest you go with cx600v2 as your budget allows.

> pcie 3.0 is backward compatible with pcie 2.0

> as far as heating issues are concerned, if you do not have ventilation, then it will create heating issues. I recommend two intake fans on the side and one excust fan on the rear.

> jumping from 3 GB to 4 GB will make a difference if you opt for two IDENTICEL 2 GB sticks instead of a single 4 GB stick as then the ram would work in dual channel which does make a difference.

saswat23

Human Spambot
Get these:
* Corsair CX-500v2 -- 3.2k
* Sapphire HD 7870 2GB DDR5 -- 17k

But I think your processor might bottleneck.

And normal cabinet IMO wont be able to fit a card like HD 7870.

3GB to 4GB jump might not be a big difference.

So, better you go for an overall upgrade.

ghost_z

Ghost From Hell !
Go with GTX 660 non Ti edition and its a bit better than hd 7850 !
Secondly for PSU go for GS600 and not CX600 CX is inferior to GS series !

Now to answer your questions :
1) Don't worry PCIE 3.0 cards are backwards compatible and will work on your motherboard !

2) Graphic Cards have their own cooling system so thats not a very big thing to worry about(just add 1 fan at the front for intake and one at the rear end for exhaust) but be assured taking a better cabinet is always advisable as it will regulate proper airflow over your components there by reducing their temp even further !

3) Regardless of your stick configuration adding 1 more GB ram will improve your gaming performance(loading times especially and not FPS).Although as the above guy mentioned already if you use the ram in 2x2 configuration meaning 2 similar sticks of 2gb then you will benefit from higher bandwidth due to dual channel tech.

Lastly your CPU will bottleneck your GPU so if possible overclock your CPU or change it to a better one soon if possible !

Last edited:

Myth

Cyborg Agent
OP's system doesnt require a 600w psu. Non OCed, 430w is fine, else 500w will do.
Gpu will be bottlenecked.
If a system upgrade is planned in the near future, take the 7870 and one of the following PSUs.
CX500 V2 <3.4k
Seasonic 520W < 4k

Or else consider a 660 and the corsair cx430v2, costing around 15k and 2.5k

ghost_z

Ghost From Hell !
^^I wasn't saying anywhere that 430 watt is not enough, but CX series should not be considered , if you have 15k budget for a nice gpu, you can definitely invest in a bit better quality psu.

GS series > CX series, secondly 430 watt is not at all a logical suggetion, just because its barely enough isn't reason enough to buy it, PSU is long term investment and at least a quality 500 watt psu should be considered and 600 if possible !

ASHISH65

Technomancer
I suggest to upgrade to new cpu.you cpu will bottleneck hd 7850 or hd 7870 for sure.there will be performance loss like in a game hd 7850 is capable of giving 50fps on high but due to your cpu you will hang around 30-35fps.thus cpu will hold back.For that cpu you can go upto hd 7770 only.

OP
X

xenon91

I am planning to upgrade my CPU in the near future, so processor bottleneck is not a major issue. The bottleneck won't cause any damage to graphic card, right?

Get these:
* Corsair CX-500v2 -- 3.2k
* Sapphire HD 7870 2GB DDR5 -- 17k
I thought of buying on Flipkart and in that, Sapphire HD 7870 2GB DDR5 costs 18.7k. Is there some cheaper online retailer? Also, would local retailers be cheaper than online? In any case, if it is a problem of not fitting into the cabinet, no point considering 7870.

So I understand I will have to choose between GTX 660 (non Ti) and HD 7850.
About the PSU, would 500W be enough? I am asking this since most PSUs mention they have an efficiency of around 80%, so wouldn't it result is giving a lower Wattage than 500? Or is the mentioned 500W the output after the conversion loss?

ghost_z

Ghost From Hell !
@xenon91 try this site, its trustable
WELCOME TO MDCOMPUTERS ::::::::::The Ultimate IT Solutions::::::::::

@xenon91 try this site, its trustable
*www.mdcomputers.in/

saswat23

Human Spambot
actually its a typo. I meant 17.5k for HD 7870 not 17k.

Check this HD 7870:
SAPPHIRE GRAPHICS CARD HD 7870 2GB DDR5 GHz EDITION

OP
X

xenon91

How much should I set store by this? If it is a good benchmark, won't GTX 660 be the better option? It seems to outstrip both 7870 and 7850 and costs less than 1k over 7850.

Top Bottom