GPU NEWS Channel

heaths

Right off the assembly line
Today I had a little problem with component mapping and the attributes. And It has something to do with the fact that all my objects use interfaces.
simulationcredit

constantine

its quiet...too quiet....
I am not a fanboy!
i am just a fan !
i woulda put up the same comment even if i had a gtx295!!
and the reason for my 8600gt is , i was short on cash and needed a gpu ! will be getting GTX 260 or 280 in november ! ( yea i know long wait but its worth it ! )

@ gautham- how can you say no competition?
you said yourself gtx260 core 216 !
thats competiton enough! and it costs 10 - 11 k!

now hd4870 - immense power ! but extreme heating issues right ?
gtx 260 - no heating issues ! and pretty much the same performance!

but ati surprised me with 4890! i havent used the card yet ! but they say heating was not an issue on it !

now if 5890 or 5870 were to give awesome power and cooler solutions !
and were to release in october - i'd say thts great and make a suggestion to a friend to get the card ! i'd bow down - seriously!

but it seriously was a bad idea for both companies to release new cards now!
i mean most cards give good framerates and more than enough performance no new and upcoming games . right ?

so its point less for 5800s and 300s to come out now . agree ?

btw - anyone know when 300s are to release ? :p

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
I don't think HD4870 has extreme heating issues. The card gets hot but that never hampered any gaming experience for gamers.

yes, HD4890 is a good card but there, GTX275 is ahead in fps.

woh said that 5xxx and 3xx is coming now. ATI and Nvidia are trying to clear existing stock and this is the main reason why ATI suddenly stopped HD4770 production.

Now that 22" FullHD monitor is avialable for 10k, many are going for FullHD and ATI/Nvidia do need to provide a sub-9k GPU that can do FullHD gaming with ease. ATI 4770 can play few games but not all. HD4850/GTS250 are now available for 7k-8k and these are good for FullHD gaming.

So, the strategy for ATI/Nvidia could be to put 40nm cards having the power of HD4870/GTX260 inside 9k price range and then release 5xxx and 3xx at 15k-18k price point.

constantine

Agreed!

and a friend owns 4870 . and turst me it heats up a lot , but could it just be a prob with his card ? and a review also said that the core heats up to 80 and the dual slot cooler cant keep up tht much , and air output is about 60c . not sure if this waaas the x2 version .

and arent 4850 and 260 at a pretty decent price now?
as per itwares - HD4850 1gig - 12k , gtx260 -11k

and which are the 22" monitors other than benq avail for 10k?

and i think i read in this thread that 5xxx is releasing in october , not too sure.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
HD4850 512meg is around 7k and 1gig is around 8.5k (not 12k/11k)

for monitor, check Samsung 2233SW for 10.5k

constantine

WTF! i thought itwares was cheaper !
and where do you get it for 8.5 k ? and where do you get the samsung monitor too?
i think its costlier in banglore

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Check in SP Road. It will be lot cheaper than what you get in itwares. Also check lynx-india.com if you want accurate pricing.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
AMD ATI FirePro V8750 Workstation Graphics Card released

This now is the fastest workstation graphics card (meant for 3d desgin and not meant for gaming).

review: *hothardware.com/Articles/ATI-FirePro-V8750-Workstation-Graphics-Card/?page=8

ATI press release: *www.amd.com/us/press-releases/Pages/amd-delivers-its-most-2009jul27.aspx

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
*tpucdn.com/images/news/ati.gifRadeon HD 4860 in the Works?

AMD released the industry's first 40 nm desktop GPU. The RV740 went on to make only one SKU, the Radeon HD 4770. The company filled its Radeon HD 4700 series almost overnight two more SKUs positioned on either sides of the HD 4770, based on the 55 nm RV770/RV790 GPUs instead, due to stock shortages. These also impacted on the inventories of the HD 4770, which forced AMD to reposition the Radeon HD 4850 in the sub-$110 segment, creating a bit of a void between it and the roughly $150 HD 4870. If anyone of you is up for yet another ATI Radeon SKU, here's one coming your way: Radeon HD 4860.

The Radeon HD 4860 seems to have been already taped out, sampled, and pictured by sections of the Chinese media. At the heart of it is the RV790 GPU in a different configuration codenamed RV790GT. It has 640 stream processors instead of 800 on the HD 4850, except that it uses a 256-bit GDDR5 memory interface, and effectively higher clock speeds. The core is clocked at 700 MHz, and the memory at 750 MHz (3000 MHz effective). The PCB pictured shows the card to powered by a single 6-pin power connector. It is expected to be positioned in at the $130 price point, and in theory, competitive with NVIDIA's GeForce GTS 250.

*www.techpowerup.com/img/09-07-28/79a_thm.jpg

*www.techpowerup.com/100337/Radeon_HD_4860_in_the_Works?.html

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
From the specs it looks like it will beat HD4850 in performance front & HD4850 will be replaced by it :p

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
I wish they produce an HD4790 with these specs:-

RV740
640 SPs
128-bit Memory Interface
4GHz(QDR) GDDR5
1GB Memory
950MHz Core Clock

Such a card, say for 125$ would be a clear winner!!

I wish they produce an HD4790 with these specs:-

RV740
640 SPs
128-bit Memory Interface
4GHz(QDR) GDDR5
1GB Memory
950MHz Core Clock

Such a card, say for 125$ would be a clear winner!!
Do you realize that you are talking about a card which could have serious manufacturing problems and only one in five prospective card buyers would be able to pick a card up ?

Most of AMD-ATI's 40nm GPU research has gone into making better and better cards, but their process is still being refined into something which makes enough number of cards to keep the market happy.

Top Bottom