GPU fan making weird noises.

Since today, my GPU fan has started making weird noises. It just stops in between sometimes and i have to rotate it by hand to make it start spinning normally again with that sound. Here's a video to show it.. help me guys :( ..

Reaper_vivek

BAN...KAI
Could be there's dust in b/w the spoke and the fan, If it's under Warranty get it checked, if it's not then lubricate the joint b/w the fan and it's spoke.
Happens a lot with my CPU cooler. It will get worse if you don't fix it.

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
i am giving you a desi jugaad.Use this at your own risk.

Go to a air filling station for cycle/bikes hold your fan backside up & blow air into the windings. Hold tight & do not let the fan spin when in airflow, it will heavily damage the fan if the fan rotates beyond it's rated rpm. It should clear all dust. Let me know what is the result..

Go to a air filling station for cycle/bikes hold your fan backside up & blow air into the windings. Hold tight & do not let the fan spin when in airflow, it will heavily damage the fan if the fan rotates beyond it's rated rpm. It should clear all dust. Let me know what is the result..

:doublethumb:

OP
A

ArjunKiller

Gamer

Desi jugaad didn't help. All that came out was a cloud of dust.. :( any other solution? I have also been facing split screen problem while playing games sometimes. The screen separates into 2 parts in an unknown ratio with a black dividing border. Only solution to fix is restart the PC.. happens with every driver version and OS.

Okay guys, I downloaded MSI afterburner and reduced the fan speed to 25% manually. The noise disappeared completely. As soon as I take it above 40, the noise returns back. I'm sure there is a problem with the fan because if dust would have been there then the noise will be present at all speeds!

BTW here is a 2nd video to make my situation clear:

Stress tested the GPU for 1 hour with 20% fan speed. Result >

*i.imgur.com/rzE6YsG.jpg

Last edited:
OP
A

ArjunKiller

Gamer
They won't give me a 6850 in return because production has stopped. Sigh.

I noticed that the fan RPM is touching 6500-7000 which is highly abnormal for a GPU when I change fan speed to 75% in afterburner.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
You may get an HD7770 in return, but offer them that you will give them extra credited money if they are willing to give you HD7850 in return.

Top Bottom