GPS unit for car

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
hey guys my couz wants to buy a gps unit, how good are they in india, which brand, what features any ideas:?:

PS: yeah im bragging abt my couz but FYI the cars are beamers & accords

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Get a Garmin GPS unit. See here: *www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/us/ontheroad/nuviseries

These work quite well in India. There are maps available for all major cities. Interestingly Autocar India made a special test last month in Mumbai which had three cars with drivers who weren't from Mumbai and hence didn't know the streets here. They had to navigate to a set route. One car had the help of a GPS unit, one had regular map of Mumbai and one asked directions from people. The car which won was the one using the GPS unit. It came in the shortest time and used the shortest route to the destination. You can read about it in the December '07 issue of Autocar India.

Pathik

Google Bot
Garmin's have the best GPS range.
They also won the top spot in a recent Cnet review.
The Nuvi 660 is great but costly.
The Nuvi 200 is cheaper. About 200$

praka123

left this forum longback
saw it(gps) this after noon on ndtv "Heels on Wheels"(ladies) program reg autoexpo!
I dont remember the make(is it blaupaunkt :? ) but this GPS thingy costs 25000 all inclusive and u can take it on hand also.this is powered via car's battery and when on hand needs quiet a few batteries!just check that program!if available BTW,i saw it on around 3 PM on ndtv(hindi) on sun dth!

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Another popular brand is "Magellan". Had used Garmin and Magellan years back but not for car navigation. (available in our Forest department)

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
Guys, Blaupunkt is releasing n new navigation system in 3 or 4 months. It's a portable Navigation Device, which you can use wherever you want. I think it would be the best buy.

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
^^ does it come with pre-loaded indian maps :?:

most of blaupunkt's range as of now comes with pre-loaded european maps and i dont wanna learn european geography :)

amitava82

MMO Addict
Does GPS from US work in India? My friend is going back to India and he is planning to take one with him if it works. Just want to make sure.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Does GPS from US work in India? My friend is going back to India and he is planning to take one with him if it works. Just want to make sure.

Why not? Just load Indian maps! After all they use a constellation of 24 US satellites. Russia, EU, China and India are also planning to start their own but it may take years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom