Got my HTC Desire

drumster

Broken In
I got my HTC Desire today from Flipkart :) Had to chase up the Aramex guys to deliver it today otherwise they would have delivered it on Monday and I would had a chance to play with it only on the next weekend.

So far I am loving it. The menus and everything is a breeze. No lag. Its superfast. The HTC Sense UI is absolutely amazing. But I'm sure at some point of time I might need to root it.

Funny thing is that I am not able to still figure out whether my phone has an AMOLED Screen or an SLCD :D Theres no spec sheet with the phone. Guess when I take it out in the sunlight tomorrow I'll come to know which screen it is :wink:

Must say that the flipkart guys delivered what they promised even when many retailers in Bombay still have no clue about the phone (I called up a few today as well!!)

darksideofchand

Right off the assembly line
Regarding the screen, below is a quote from the reply of HTC customer service to my email inquiring about the same:

Thank you for contacting our Customer Support Center. We are dedicated to providing you with the best quality service and answering all of your questions and concerns. To clarify your issue, you stated that: You want to know about the display of the HTC Desire Regarding this we would like to intimate you that the HTC Desire has been launched with the SLCD screen in India. You can also call our Call Center at: 1800 11 33 77 if you have further questions. Thank you once again for your continued patronage.

That should clear all the confusion :)

OP
D

drumster

Broken In
@drumster congrats bro..play with it and give us ur thoughts (pros and cons):smile:

Well, I'm not gonna write a review here. But all I can say is that I am extremely happy with the phone so far and all the reviews on the net are to be believed. I havent seen a single negative review of the Desire so far and I would agree with that :)

webwizzy

Broken In
wow nice. Did you got a complete bill with it showing vat amount and stuff like that?

The phone's specs are written over the box afaik.

If not a review, atleast do post some pics dude. :)

darksideofchand

Got mine from Alfa in Mumbai in the evening. Just came back home and plugged it for charging. Looks like a long night for me :)

OP
D

drumster

Broken In
I got it 200 bucks cheaper from Flipkart :D Heh, doest really make much of a difference :wink: Do you know if the guys at Alpha had the original screen protector and case for the Desire?

darksideofchand

No idea, if they have them. Am also thinking of getting them; don't know how scratch resistant these screens are. Moreover, I find the screen getting a little smudgy with usage. Please post here if you find them anywhere and the prices.

OP
D

drumster

Broken In
Yeah the screen is a fingerprint magnet. Screen guard is available on eBay. I might buy the case and guard from eBay. Will also have to buy a bigger SD card cause 2 gb is too less.

darksideofchand

Btw...what mobile connection do u use? I am on Vodafone...and when I first put my SIM card and started, it wouldn't recognize any data connection. When I called vodafone for GPRS settings, that agent said it's an advanced handset and Vodafone Live (normal GPRS I guess) wouldn't work and I need to take some Mobile Connect plan!! I hung up and restarted the phone and it identified the EDGE connection and I am now able to connect to websites through the browser but none of the apps would connect to the internet. Not even the native Gmail app!!

Has anyone faced this issue? Is it mandatory to buy that Mobile Connect plan or something?

soumitmalkar

I got it 200 bucks cheaper from Flipkart :D Heh, doest really make much of a difference :wink: Do you know if the guys at Alpha had the original screen protector and case for the Desire?
did u get a bill from flipkart and also does it have the manufacturer's warranty?

soumitmalkar

Rs. 27.5k. As with all purchases at Alfa, they charge 1.5% extra for card payments, so decided to pay it all in cash.
does alpha provide bill and manufacturer's warranty?

also i m looking at payin by credit cards if they have tie-ups with merchant banks to avail 0% emi option if any

darksideofchand

does alpha provide bill and manufacturer's warranty?

also i m looking at payin by credit cards if they have tie-ups with merchant banks to avail 0% emi option if any

As with all purchases at Alfa, you have the choice of 'with bill' or 'without bill'. I got it with the bill (and warranty). The cashier receipt of the amount is the bill, according to them. You have the option of paying by card, but those buggers charge extra 2%. If you choose 'without bill' (which is not recommended), am sure you can shave off at least 2K off the rack price.

Flipkart doesn't seem to have any tie-up with Banks to offer 0% EMI option (the last I checked), but eBay's Paisa Pay does offer such an option on some Bank cards. You may want to explore that.

OP
D

drumster

Broken In
did u get a bill from flipkart and also does it have the manufacturer's warranty?

Flipkart is not like eBay. It does not sell grey market goods. It sells only genuine products. So yes, you get a bill and manufacturers warranty from flipkart. I got my phone for 27,300 but I think the price went up a little after that. Flipkart guys are really good.

pid 0

Just noticed today on their site. The desire is now @26990 and they also offer a 72 hour protection wherein if the price reduces, they credit the amount back to the account.... Now that's really nice from their part..

The cheapest I was able to find in chennai is 27.2k. And if I get with a CC, 1.5% service charget too.... so I am Looking to order one from flipkart. But holding off till my next CC billing cycle (and hey there's no 1.5% service charge for the card if I get it online too....) Looks a very promising deal...

Shall I go ahead with flipkart? Anything that I should lookout for like what courier they use??

soumitmalkar

Had been to Alfa yesterday. It still costs 27,500 there. Flipkart has it for 26999.

Has anybody tried the Froyo update which HTC has provided via FOTA?

Top Bottom