Google's new "Find My Phone" feature! How can only I access it but anyone else?

ithehappy

Human Spambot
I just saw that Google introduced some Find My Phone feature today, which is basically just a service with which you will be able to find your phone, and I tried that, and it works! The phone rang, even when it was set to Mute, the sound profile changed and made it to Ringer profile all by itself, then I could even lock the phone with a password! Now all these looked cool at first but now I am thinking what the frak! I mean I am quite sure that anyone can locate where am I right? Also there's an Erase option, what the heck! One can erase my phone with this? I was scared to click on that and see what happens!

I mean what to do to avoid it? I can't turn my GPS off as I need it almost every other day, anything else?

PS: In case anyone is wondering what I am blabbering about this is the damn thing,

*i.imgur.com/ctwwEcQ.jpg

PS: Obviously I meant that it can be accessed from my computer/ laptop, however I thought that was self explanatory. All my credentials are saved there.

Last edited:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Lol.. I can't locate your phone even if I have your Gmail Id. You need to login with your own credentials before you can locate, lock or erase stuff on your mobile.
Now chill.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
You didn't get the point it seems! Obviously you can't search me!! The credentials are saved both in my desktop and laptop, which are not always with me! Getting anything?

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
That becomes bit tiresome if you are regularly using them.

But it has become a question of convenience vs. security.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Exactly.
Logout? Like I have a password set for that, LOL.

Anyway, I need to set some kind of secured settings, don't know what though. I have made everything very simple and exposed, for my own convenience, but this is leaving the door open to others!

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
The least you can do is to use different User profiles for you and others.

OR

You a altogether different browser for yourself and/or setup a Master password for the browser you use.

And PS: This find my feature is not at all new. I use it for atleast a year now.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Is it possible in Chrome?? Password locking??

Chrome don't have master password feature built in like Firefox have. You may have to use third party password manager like LastPass.
Read more here: How to secure your passwords in Chrome and Firefox - CNET

Or you can try the "Profile" feature in Chrome. I don't use Chrome myself, so have little idea.

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Chrome don't have master password feature built in like Firefox have. You may have to use third party password manager like LastPass.
Read more here: How to secure your passwords in Chrome and Firefox - CNET

Or you can try the "Profile" feature in Chrome. I don't use Chrome myself, so have little idea.

Profile option isn't secured. Anyone can switch it.

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
The credentials are saved both in my desktop and laptop, which are not always with me
If someone you don't trust has physical access to your logged in user profile, then couldn't they do all sorts of things like install a backdoor/keylogger , copy your cookies, set your gmail to forward emails / see google search history etc. I mean you have all sorts potential security issues.

This! create a user for yourself, password it and you are done!

Last edited:

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Actually it was already there as Android Device Manager, but it was hard to find in the menu if you didn't knew the name.

So google made it simpler, by just a simple query "Find My Phone". It's totally secure. No one will be able to access it unless he/she signs in with your credentials.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
About time you guys switched to Google 2-Step Verification

Also you are always being tracked when using Google. Also Google uses cellphone GPS speed to determing the traffic in your city. so Google always knows. Privacy in Mobile is gone.

BTW if you are trying to access sensitive setting, Google will ask for password again.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Google 2 Step verification is good and all, but a PITA if you constantly switch your devices or if you don't remain sign in, or if you are a geek and constantly reinstall OSes or change browser.

You have ways though like using the Google Authenticator app and keeping backup codes in your wallet. Of course you have to choose between security and convenience.

I choose security and hence have enabled 2 step authentication since 2 yrs now.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl

OR

You a altogether different browser for yourself and/or setup a Master password for the browser you use.

And PS: This find my feature is not at all new. I use it for atleast a year now.
There is problem with using master password in Firefox - it prevents syncing.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
There is problem with using master password in Firefox - it prevents syncing.

What do you mean? Syncing to what? I use Master Password in my firefox. And keep speed dials and bookmarks synced to cloud using some 3rd party utility. While the passwords are synced internally to Firefox cloud. Don't see any problem.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
What do you mean? Syncing to what? I use Master Password in my firefox. And keep speed dials and bookmarks synced to cloud using some 3rd party utility. While the passwords are synced internally to Firefox cloud. Don't see any problem.

REFERENCE:
*support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/998080
Firefox Passwords can't be synced if you use a master password - gHacks Tech News

PROBABLY SOLVED NOW:
*bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=995268

It might have been solved already. I have to check it. Not understanding the Bugzilla page properly :evil:

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot

OR

I have different User IDs, but there's no password for anything. I use Chrome mainly and Firefox sometimes, both have LastPass enabled with always login thingy, so anyone can access anything. I did all these to save some few seconds for my ease!

I don't know for how long that feature was there, but I just saw the Tweet and the below posting two days ago only!!

*plus.google.com/+google/posts/CEdEWkg4dvf

Top Bottom