Google sued for Deptive trade practices ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Australian courts are seeing a world-first trial pending against Google that alleges that the search giant used deceptive business practices by selling off top search positions

Search giant Google is used to hearing good news, as its phenomenal growth continued, as it competitors such as Yahoo have shrunk.

However, Google received some bad news yesterday when the Australian Consumer and Competition Commission (ACCC) announced that it was taking a world-first legal action in charging Google in a Sydney, Australia Federal Court. The ACCC accuses Google of using deceptive business tactics, where it will sell top search spots on its internet search engine for large fees.

It alleges that Google tries to market itself as a purely "organic" search engine, based on traffic, but instead directs much of its traffic based on prioritization, controlled advertising revenue.

Additionally the ACCC has another major legal accusation against Google. Online car retailer Trading Post breached the Trade Practices Act in 2005 when it paid Google to use the names of competitor NSW car dealerships Kloster Ford and Charlestown Toyota as hyperlinks to its own site. These links appeared in Google's sponsored links section, and the resulting pages bore no affiliation to the Trading Post's competitors.

Kloster Ford filed a complaint when it discovered this partnership.
Trading Post created the links with AdWords, a Google commercial program that sets up hyperlinks.

Source

PS: Its all fair in love, war and business

edit: shantanu edit the title ... its deceptive ...

Pathik

Google Bot
I dont think Google can ever become "evil"
btw abt the selling of search positions, doesnt all the paid links come in the sponsored links section????

Pathik

Google Bot
btw abt the selling of search positions, doesnt all the paid links come in the sponsored links section????

Pathik

Google Bot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom