Google reveals US Federals asking for personal information

Google is characterized in some many different ways. While some of us look to the Mountain View, Calif.-based company as our savior, others refer to it in terms like "Skynet" -- the computer and artificial intelligence system that runs the world in the Terminator movie series. That latter reputation is one Google tries hard to change; Transparency Reports are example.Today, Google's Legal Director, Richard Salgado, announced that the company will be adding National Security Letters to its report. "When conducting national security investigations, the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation can issue a NationalSecurity Letter (NSL) to obtain identifying information about a subscriber from telephone and Internet companies", stated Salgado.
google revealed that between 0 to 999 such requests were made by the FBI. To give a feeling of safety to it's users's google will now include those letters in its report to create transparency. The fact that Google has more information about any person than any Government make's Google the obvious source for Govt. bodies to get private information. Now when our internet dependencies have become a necessity and the fact that one just cannot avoid coming in the way of Google (and probably Facebook), this puts our privacy into serious question. But can we do something about it?Source: Google reveals how often the Feds ask for your personal info

Vignesh B

Youngling
It is true that whatever you post on internet, never gets completely removed.
Even our Indian government is looking over us. If they asked Blackberry to install their servers in India, I am pretty sure that they are tapping other subscribers too.
Personally, even am against somebody eavesdropping on me. But we live in such an era where avoiding it is impossible. For our own safety? Maybe yes, or maybe not.
If someone is too concerned about privacy, then don't post your intimate details for God's sake. And don't do something that will put you in the wrong side of law.

fun2sh

Pawned!... Beyond GODLIKE
Privacy itslefl is gimmick. Y do ppl care so much abt privacy in internet

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
Privacy itslefl is gimmick. Y do ppl care so much abt privacy in internet

uhm... would you like it if google displayed each and every detail of your life on a page?

your bank a/c no
your wife
your address
your children
your gfs
your breakups
your phone nos
your parents
your searches (in some mood where you end up viewing kinky stuff.... *you know what i mean)

i think people dont realize privacy is more important than freedom. We are all under watch... just because you dont notice doesnt mean that whatever you do on the internet is private.

OP
harshilsharma63

harshilsharma63

DIY FTW!
I dont think we, as individuals cannot stop this. No matter what we do, our personal information always goes to the highest bidder.

I dont think we, as individuals cannot stop this. No matter what we do, our personal information always goes to the highest bidder.

OP
harshilsharma63

harshilsharma63

DIY FTW!
^ I've started doing that from part few months. But what surprises me is that it's the big players who give this information.

^ I've started doing that from part few months. But what surprises me is that it's the big players who give this information.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl

how else do you think that their products on the market are so "consumer centred" loll..??

uhm... would you like it if google displayed each and every detail of your life on a page?

your bank a/c no
your wife
your address
your children
your gfs
your breakups
your phone nos
your parents
your searches (in some mood where you end up viewing kinky stuff.... *you know what i mean)

i think people dont realize privacy is more important than freedom. We are all under watch... just because you dont notice doesnt mean that whatever you do on the internet is private.

Why do you want to share the information on the "Internet" then?
Its like posting your emotions and info on the wall of your house and expecting others not to notice...

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
Why do you want to share the information on the "Internet" then?
Its like posting your emotions and info on the wall of your house and expecting others not to notice...

i dont think you realize, but some of this data... is easily gathered using facebook and twitter and even some pic sharing apps, google search engines saves your searches and keeps a log of them....

i dont think you realize, but some of this data... is easily gathered using facebook and twitter and even some pic sharing apps, google search engines saves your searches and keeps a log of them....

I agree.. but isnt it why most of us access internet. For the ease finding data relating to some thing or some one. When you want your privacy stop sharing it online, ppl share their emotions and views to grab attention and when this falls into the wrong hands they shout privacy.

OP
harshilsharma63

harshilsharma63

DIY FTW!
I agree.. but isnt it why most of us access internet. For the ease finding data relating to some thing or some one. When you want your privacy stop sharing it online, ppl share their emotions and views to grab attention and when this falls into the wrong hands they shout privacy.
We cannot prevent private data theft altogether, but al least we can stop posting very-personal stuff. This goes especially to girls on Facebook who keep uploading their new pictures every now-and-then. I think if once, just once, Google and Facebook actually reveal ALL data they have about a person to him/her, then people will start caring about their Internet privacy. For instance, just visit your Google search history and I'm 100% sure you'll be embarrassed.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
We cannot prevent private data theft altogether, but al least we can stop posting very-personal stuff. This goes especially to girls on Facebook who keep uploading their new pictures every now-and-then. I think if once, just once, Google and Facebook actually reveal ALL data they have about a person to him/her, then people will start caring about their Internet privacy. For instance, just visit your Google search history and I'm 100% sure you'll be embarrassed.

search with a persons name and city where he is living and head over to images on google, and you will be surprised.

Top Bottom