Google helps Phishers - Kaspersky Lab

Status
Not open for further replies.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
We always expect a rise in cyber crime in the holiday season. This year, for instance, we have seen a noticeable rise in spam, along with a rise in phishing.

I have even received a phishing email in my Gmail mailbox – the first one in ages. The phish was nothing special; the usual notification about a new payment system for an online bank with a link to the spoofed website.

What caught my eye was how Google handled the phish. The Gmail interface added a number of relevant paid advertising links to the email. Take a look at the upper left and lower right corners:
*img502.imageshack.us/img502/1401/vlweblog208187301yb2.th.png

I think that adding such links increase user trust in fraudulent emails. Users see that Google has included keyword-related links, so they are liable to trust the email – and fall victim to the phishing scam.

What do you think? In any case, holidays are unfortunately a busy time for criminals in all spheres, including the Internet. Take care of yourself and safe surfing!

Source: Kaspersky Lab + VirusList.com

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Those adds are not published by gmail for a particular matter. It is randomly selected depending upon the word used in the matter of mail. If it is intended adds, then it is worth blaming Google. But, it isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom