Google concerned over Samsung dominance

amjath

Human Spambot
According to a report in the Wall Street Journal, Samsung’s dominance on the market for Android devices has begun to make Google executives uneasy. The latter reportedly worry that the Korean manufacturer is large enough to renegotiate its current arrangement with Google and eat into the search giant’s lucrative mobile-ad business.

Samsung has received over 10% of the latter’s revenue in the past. The company has also signaled to Google that it might demand more going forward, as Google’s revenue from mobile apps such as Google Maps and YouTube is on the rise.

During a Google event for executives last year, Andy Rubin, the head of Android hailed Samsung’s market success and mutually beneficial relationship with the search giant. He did however, also warn that the Korean company could pose a business threat should it pull too far ahead of its competitors. Samsung shipped almost 200 million Android devices more than its closest competitor on its way to about 40% share of the global smartphone market.

According to Mr. Rubin, Google’s acquisition of Motorola Mobility is a form of insurance policy against manufacturers who gain too much power over the Android ecosystem. Motorola is widely expected to release an Android powerhouse this year, which will likely be dubbed the X Phone.

In a nutshell, the relationship between Google and Samsung is likely going to get more complicated in the near future. Representatives from both companies are yet to officially comment on the matter.

Few reason for Google concerns over Samsung's Android dominance

Google reportedly growing concerned over Samsung's Android dominance - GSMArena Blog

but their may be other reason for this rumor. What it would be???

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
The rumored xphone is going head to head with S4 and the S3 is selling like hot cakes. Google has reason to be wary of Samsung. Its similar to Microsoft being not so happy with Nokia as the "Lumia" tag is all people care about. You either own a Lumia or you own some other WP. Similarly you either own a Galaxy S# or you own some other phone. See how the phones are stealing the focus from the OS? Thats why Google is unhappy. Not to mention the increased influence can lead Sammy to demand more in return from Google.

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
Good that LG got the chance for the Nexus tablets. Hope Google makes it a policy not to offer the Nexus opportunity to the same manufacturer consecutively.

OP
amjath

amjath

Human Spambot
Thsi news is just heating things up
*cdn.gsmarena.com/pics/13/02/samsung-smartphone-share-2012/gsmarena_002.jpg
One in three smartphones shipped in 2012 a Samsung - GSMArena Blog

tkin

Back to school!!
A wonder what aggressive marketing and a little FUD could do, remember when the Galaxy Ace/Duos used to sell like hot cakes :facepalm:

Flash

Lost in speed
#Smartphonewars

*images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120515062440/uncyclopedia/images/thumb/1/12/Nokia_3310_troll.jpg/180px-Nokia_3310_troll.jpg

mitraark

Decrepit
The rumored xphone is going head to head with S4 and the S3 is selling like hot cakes. Google has reason to be wary of Samsung. Its similar to Microsoft being not so happy with Nokia as the "Lumia" tag is all people care about. You either own a Lumia or you own some other WP. Similarly you either own a Galaxy S# or you own some other phone. See how the phones are stealing the focus from the OS? Thats why Google is unhappy. Not to mention the increased influence can lead Sammy to demand more in return from Google.

Maybe that's what it is, people are buying Samsung nowadays because of word of mouth, and although the popularity is primarily because of Android OS, Samsung might just take advantage and utilise it to sell their other products as well to the not so informed/bothered people.

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
Well the main reason was...Samsung made the galaxy brand a HUGE name like the iphone, everyone where jealous of people who galaxy phone back in 2010/11..then samsung started rolling out budget galaxy phones..and boom..it started selling like hot cakes,no one cared if the phone was good or not they bought it..I blame all other companies advertising for this, See LG they silently release phones while samsung gives full page colored ads in news papers,ads in tv etc for a crap phone(Eg:grand).

death_syndicate

Broken In
people just consider samsung's brand & just ignore the core reason for it to be popular.
Originally Posted by pranav0091

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
^ TBH, android wouldve been just as fine even without samsung. Its not like samsung is the only android phone manufacturer. On the other hand, samsung wouldnt have been anywhere near it is right now without android.

Flash

Lost in speed
I wonder, what Google will do with Ubuntu, if it sees them as a potential competitor for Android?

tkin

Back to school!!
I wonder, what Google will do with Ubuntu, if it sees them as a potential competitor for Android?
It can't so anything, android is basically linux, just like ubuntu, any way ubuntu won't succeed, android succeeded due to heavyweights like google backing it up, ubuntu has no such backer.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
^ Dont be so sure. The conceptual model that Ubuntu is pushing looks promising. Its kind of inspired from android+WinRT+meego (?) and might turn out to be more important than we think it is.

Flash

Lost in speed
Yes. People always look for new things to try out.
5 reasons why Ubuntu Phone can blow away Android!

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
so naive and innocent ..
without appropriate sales channel and strong backing even the best of diamonds won't sell... understand that.

^ Dont be so sure. The conceptual model that Ubuntu is pushing looks promising. Its kind of inspired from android+WinRT+meego (?) and might turn out to be more important than we think it is.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
^ TBH, android wouldve been just as fine even without samsung. Its not like samsung is the only android phone manufacturer. On the other hand, samsung wouldnt have been anywhere near it is right now without android.
Well I don't think so. Just see the number of sales of S2, S3, Note and Note 2. How many millions of those units were sold.
I hate Samsung, I'm just saying without Samsung Google's market sales number will not look great.

Top Bottom