google apps or microsoft live/office live ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

himtuna

Journeyman
I am student of IP university pursuing BCA.
Wanna create a computer club at my college.
I'll be setting up platform for online presence and stuck up b/t google and micorsoft.
I have been using google apps for my personel site.
But since its gonna be on organisation site... i am confused.

Microsoft Office live is attracts me.

Both offers similiar features like live ID-gmail, calenders, meetings, sites, etc,etc ....where to go?
Please advice me!

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll suggest you Google Apps because Gmail is better than Windows Live Mail IMHO...... Gmail has better features than Windows Live Mail like integrated Chatting........

I've also set up Google Apps for my site and I find it good.....

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
And dude...also check this: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81347
A new feature launched by Google for Google Apps.........:)

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
Live is for me.
If you have problem in setting live domain, ask me I will help you.

It will be activated instantly, and you can get unlimited Ids, all powered by windows live. Also, you dont need to activate all Ids manually, visitors can signup just like any other free E-mail service.

OP
himtuna

himtuna

Journeyman
People it snot just about mail server......
i want a whole lot services ...
like users of the registered domain set up projects, put meetings on the calender,,, put docs for online retrieval.....

even i am using google apps for my site and quite satisfied .
but i need a service for my computer club
i dont wanna go setting up forums,CMSes or ideabox..for the computer club.
all i need is compact service
google offers sites. calender,,etc,

just mention the services that are being offered by each of them..please....
i am not using windows live for any of my domain tell me what it offers.....particularly for TEAM WORK

dabster

In the zone
Google Apps is very good, But still Microsoft live is better as they give you the free registration of own domain, so actually you turn to have a professional site without spending a buck.

cheers,

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
I'm using Office Live for a site and it's working perfectly .

There r two services offered by MS:

Live Custom Domain and Office Live .

Both are free n Office Live has more features .

kabuli

Right off the assembly line
I am student of IP university pursuing BCA.
Wanna create a computer club at my college.
I'll be setting up platform for online presence and stuck up b/t google and micorsoft.
I have been using google apps for my personel site.
But since its gonna be on organisation site... i am confused.

Microsoft Office live is attracts me.

Both offers similiar features like live ID-gmail, calenders, meetings, sites, etc,etc ....where to go?
Please advice me!
Ok, I know everybody hates microsoft. So did I until I found out how big an elephant google is. I opened an office live small business account, they give me everything. Free domain, email, space, news feed. I thought I could do better outside. So I asked my domain to be free and released from microsoft. I was getting email reply 6 hrs after I email them. Great customer support. Eventhough microsoft paid for my site registry. THey said it is yours , even we registered it and we paid for it, you are free. So I kept it free from microsoft and was looking for some free host. its kabulmagazine.com which I own now for free.
So I heard a lot of hype about google apps. So I opened an account with 140 words for my webpage url. They say if I want my own url, in order to integrate with my blogs and my google apps, I have to buy domain from them. So I said what's the big deal, just ten dollars and I bought the domain thecarriagehorse.com through google, activated google apps, verified domain ownership and paid to Google with my credit card. After that you would hope to get a short url and get great customer support, comaprable to microsoft if its not better, since one you pay someone you expect support, no matter one dollar or 1000.
I was so disappointed. If you type your webpage address thecarriagehorse.com, it goes to google instead of your own page, google.apps.pages.start/1965&23#/shitlikethat wtc etc, and you see google stuff , non working gadgets etc. The only way you can access your page is making a subdomain, like ww2.thecarriagehorse.com or home.thecarriagehorse.com etc eventhough you own the full domain. You won't get an email link for support even if you have a letter from jesus, they just send you to newsgroups and forums that people ignore your posting and won't reply. The other and most important is email, yes EMAIL, your gmail account is unaccessible unless you login to your domain, you can not type editor@thecarriagehorse.com in gmail webportal and type your password and read your rmail. You only can access it from your ugly page that google put in your home index.html that you have very little control over. Now if you get microsoft officelive page, like for kabulimagazine.com, I can access it in anypage that millions of people login to their msn.com, hotmail.com, live.com etc and you don't have to login to your domaim, you just type editor@kabulmagazine.com as your user name thantype password and bingo, you are in. So I asked msn again, can you reactivate my account please back with you and I don't want to host it somewhere else, I got surprised when they emailed me back in two hours at night and said No Problem sir, and I went back, it was working right away.
Those are all personal experience , eventhough I am not microsoft fan, but thruth is truth. Google is using my site, domain I bought to publish anything they want, microsoft respects my ownership to it eventhough they paid for it.
I hope this helps

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I'll suggest you Google Apps because Gmail is better than Windows Live Mail IMHO

Wait, Google Apps & GMail are different things. Just cos u find GMail better then WLM, that doesn't make Google Apps better then Office Live.

kmindaugas

Right off the assembly line
Hi everyone,
I am some kind of newbie in there things and I have a question.
I have registered partly (just for web) my domain in officelive.
now I can access my page by picking *mydomain.com
But I want to add subdomain www to get *www.mydomain.com address working. I am trying to add CNAME record for www.mydomain.com but I dont know what is the record value (what is server name - officelive.com or etc.)
Is there anybody with this problem?

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
I have a domain name mydomain.com . I have signed up for Google Apps for my domain.I have changed the Required MX Records and successfully activated email services for my domain name.

Now I have changed CNAME Records so typing mail.mydomain.com points towards my email. However mail.mydomian.com gets redirected to *www.google.com/a/mydomain.com/ServiceLogin?service=mail&passive=true&rm=false&co ntinue=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.google.com%2Fa%2Fmydomain .com%2F&bsv=1k96igf4806cy&ltmpl=default&ltmplcache =2

There is NO WAY to MASK the actual url so that typing mail.mydomain.com does not get replaced by the above link, that is to mask it such that it only displays mail.mydomain.com

So, If you are ready to face this Problem, you should get Google Apps (1000 Free Accounts), And if you dont want such problem,simply get MS LIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom