Good Quality CDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
Hi, the what i am buying for around 10-15 rupees are good only for a few days, but after a few weeks/months they become useless. (including sony/imation/moser baer etc).

However, the CDs that came with Digit years back are reading fine till today even though I use them more frequently. The writable side shows a significance difference in appearance to that of the CDs that I (we) buy and use.

I want some of my data to be stored on a CD and I want that to be durable (atleast for a year or more). I will be using the CD pretty frequently.

vysakh

Padawan
digit is not writing cds. they are punching / pressing cds. they have some extra coating. if u look at the cd you will understand. written cds will have a colour change wheras the pressed ones dont have. due to the extra coating, they are more reliable

vysakh said:
digit is not writing cds. they are punching / pressing cds. they have some extra coating. if u look at the cd you will understand. written cds will have a colour change wheras the pressed ones dont have. due to the extra coating, they are more reliable

Burnt/written are different from Pressed CD's. Right, but it's not about the coatings. It's about what lies beneath the coating that's different

Pressed CD's - Thin layer of acrylic is PRESSED against a glass master disc to reproduce bumps (pits). Reflective aluminium is sprayed onto this layer (on the read side) and protective clear polycarbonate plastic layer is added on the same (read side). On the back of the acrylic layer the label is applied.

Burnt (home made) CD's - The aluminium surface does not exist. Instead a reflective dye is used. The powerful laser in your CD burner will modify the reflectivity to SIMULATE bumps (pits) as in pressed CD's. This explains the colour change you observe after burning.

Did you know it's easier to damage a disc by scratching the LABEL side. Data is held in the layer just below the label. So next time you want to render a CD useless, just use a knife on the LABEL side.

Keith

devilhead_satish

In the zone
Me too I have been using Moser Baer particularly since more than an year. And i'd like to say that it rocks. And ditto with Sony and imation. I have some 2yr old CD's and they are working fine.

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
nice info Keith ..... !
nd as far as media is concerned,then better start making 2 copies of all the data CD's ur making ..
worth investing in 10rs more !!

choose frm any good brand..sony,moserbaer ..etc..

GameAddict

In the zone
Two 'kinds' of Moser Baer

Moser Baer comes in two types: Plus and Pro.

Plus is with white and silver color, while Pro comes with Red and Blck Lettering.Plus is cheaper then Pro, but Pro is much better.

So, not all MB CDs are created equal. ;)

Just my two cents! :)

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
My Personal fav's Are Anything From Sprint,Samsung,MoserBaer Pro,Sony.
The Worst are Writex,Amkette,Princo and their likes :evil:

Its Totally upto one's handling that the disc actually survives or meets its doom.My Samsung burned Disc has Lasted For more than 2 years now,No Problemo whatsoever :wink:

gamefreak14

Journeyman
Has everyone forgotten about Gold CDs? They are priced higher, because some can hold data without any corruption for even a 100 years. If you have data which is of utmost importance..spend 50-60Rs and get yourself a gold cd.

Brand does not matter. Imations's from one batch may be made by X manufacturer while another batch may be sourced from Y manufacturer. Sometimes resulting in vast burn quality differences.

To find who actually makes your CD, use Nero info tool. Note the manufacturer code and google to find the company that actually made it.

Moser Baer India returns the code - 97m17s06f
Interestingly (el cheapo) MediaCache CD's that I picked up at Safeway (Woolworths Pty. supermarkets, Australia) have the same code.

Anything above 24X on Mosers with a Sony DRU 710 DVD burner gives serious read errors. Here's a screenshot from Nero transfer quality test.

*img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/keithsebastian/General/th_Moserbaererror.jpg
Click to enlarge

This is from last week when I wrote episodes of Southpark, compressed in Xvid to view on my PS2. Wrote 4 CD's at 40x (Moser Baer, silver, 10 bucks, rated 52x) and found out later they wouldn't play past the 10 minute mark. What a waste.

Keith

gamefreak14

Journeyman
pradeep_chauhan said:
Whats a "Gold CD"? Do we have Platinum CD's also?
5. The longest lasting CD-Rs, based on longevity testing, use Phthalocyanine dye and Gold reflective layers. Phthalocyanine with Gold&Silver reflective layers next, followed by Phthalocyanine and Silver and Azo and Silver. Cyanine on anything (only silver today) is the worst performing disc.
A. Phthalocyanine - inherently stable unlike cyanine dye which must be stabilized by the addition of other metals, etc. Longest lasting under testing. Expected lifespans exceeding 200+ years when coupled with gold reflective layers in cold storage.
Read more about different types of cds here
*www.silverace.com/dottyspotty/issue12.html

krishnathelord

In the zone
guys theres a brand called lasertras it is available in kolkata in 50 sprindle for 280.
touchwood i have been using it for 11 months (since its launch) and i didnt get a single cd faulty. :lol: 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom