Going for a trip to Kerala. Anything special to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
Hi Keralites ;)
I'm going down to Kerala with a HUGE gang of friends from college. God knows where we will be once we get to our jobs, so we thought why not take a trip to God's own country :) It will be a package tour and will be covering 8 places. The usual tourist spots like Munnar, Thekkadi, etc. Will be making it Guruvayur as well. I was wondering is there anything which we would specially look out for, like things to shop, food(especially food :D ) I'm a non-veggie :D

If possible I just might get to meet you Digitians ;) So, what say? Pour in your views

2kewl

Sangeet Premi
Chakka Chips, Chakarravatti, Halwa, Banana Chips are somethings you shouldn't miss buying.

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
Well.. may be malabar biriyani .... the vegetarian sadhya from a nice hotel....with lots of side dishes...ofcourse if u can....the best things are

1. kallu.. a nice alcholic drink from cocunut tree or palm
2. kappa
3. Fish curry.
4. Beef fry..

oh well just go to a good "kallu shaap" .. the local bar... i didnt mean the toddy..that like pesticide..heeh...

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

@2kewl and madjeri-Thanks a lot for the suggestion. Banana chips and halwa are a must. I'll definitely buy 'em. Can I please know what this chakarravatti is? Malabar biryani and fish curry are also the thing which I would be trying. I don't eat beef though :D This, kallu drink. Is it available everywhere? Is it strong and I hope there are no fake liquor available.

din

Tribal Boy
Any plans to visit Cochin ? If so, please let me know. Finalized the dates ?

Chakkavaratti is a very sweet dish made from jackfruits.

Kallu - yes, available almost everywhere. If there are anyone form Kerala in your gang or you have friend over here, they will know where you will get 'Pure Kallu'

From google

Chakkavaratti - Link 1

Chakkavaratti - Link 2

Last edited:
OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

Ah! The great Din uncle posts!! :D Yes, we will be visiting Cochin. The dates are finalized. We will leave Bangalore on 13th afternoon and return on 18th morning. There are no Keralites in this trip :( In case we get time in Kerala and if any of my friends are ready to tag along, you coming Din uncle for a drink? :D

EDIT: Thanks so much for the links. I'm drooling already!! :D I'm definitely buying this chakarravatti.

2kewl

Sangeet Premi
Also, Try to have some chakka payasam (also called Chakka Pradaman) if you get a chance.

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
@confused

kallu is not pronounced as kazhu.....its "kallu" itself. ;)

@phreak0ut

hav a nice time visiting our land :) , and don't miss out chakkra payasam and chakkravaratti :)

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
Those banana chips and that jackfruit peel chips. Dunno what they're called, but they taste awesome. There is a family of keralites who run a chain of supermarkets here in Chennai, and I get their products, really delicious. They tasted better when I had them in Kerala tho :)

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
I was in Kerala in 2002 from college tour ..Awesome places Munnar and Cochin but Trivendrum is not so clean as Cochin..I liked Payasam there very much ..Try that ..Its a sweet dish ...

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
@phreak0ut

if u get a chance then visit "Kumarakam lakes" in Kottayam (abt 100km from Cochin, my home town too ;) ) it is one of the most visited places in kerala by Europeans.

windchimes

Can you hear it..??
A trip in house boat through Vembanad Lake would be great. ie Kumarakom is a must visit.

Another chaep option is there is boat service from Kottayam to Alappuzha which local people use. For a not so high ticket charge you can have almsot 1+ hrs boat trip through
this lake. But these boats dont provide any kind of luxury.

As mentioned above try Chakkavaratii. "Chakka" means Jackfruit. You can also
try Chakka chips and Banana chips.

If you are visiting Calicut buy Halwa from there..Calicut Halwa is world famous
and so is the Chicken Biriyani from Sagar Hotel . I am not a non veggie but I can see
non veggie's going berserk when mentioned on above Biriyani.

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
@windchimes

"chakka" means jackfruit, but "chakkravaratti" is not made from jackfruit....its made from banana chips and sugar cane extracts.

windchimes

Can you hear it..??
@windchimes

"chakka" means jackfruit, but "chakkravaratti" is not made from jackfruit....its made from banana chips and sugar cane extracts.

I think you got it wrong .I am a malayali too. Chakka varrati is made using
jackfruit and jaggery (which is made from sugarcane). And what is bananachips
doing there..??

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

Thanks a lot for the input, guys! :) I'll try my best to get most of the things as possible. I like puttu. Mom prepares that quite well at home, so I'll give it a miss ;) BTW, what is this Omana Kutti? I don't want go around asking for something which is not to be asked and get bashed there :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom