Go for Raid or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

joy_chak

Right off the assembly line
hi guys wannted to know that is single 160 gb harddisk better or should i go for two 80 gb hdd in raid configuration.

phatratt

In the zone
If u want to back up lot of data then buy 2 harddisk configure it in raid for mirroring but you will have just 80GB of space to store.If you are concerned about price,then check the rates of 160GB(single)with 2 80Gb ones.

yash

I draw every day
single 160 gb one will dfinately be cheaper because u save on casing and stuff. use raid 0 only if u want better speed

amitsaudy

Ambassador of Buzz
I want to know more about Raid
What exactly is Raid0...Raid5..?
A link to some tutorial would be appreciated.

theraven

Technomancer
raid is extremely unreliable in cases of power failure
trust me been there done that
id suggest a single 160gb drive

Kniwor

Learner
Raid 0 will give u good performance but is highly unreliable as theraven said.

Raid 1 will be reliable, good read speeds, but will increase CPU usage, high cost(u get half the space of what u purchase), and write speeds dont change.

read more about RAID here

*www.acnc.com/raid.html

digen

Youngling
Are you gonna use a "TRUE RAID CARD" or one of those raid-is-cool type of cards/onboard RAID from your motherboard ?

If its the latter two then I suggest stick to a single hard drive & partition it accordingly to separate the OS & your important data.

The usage of onboard raid/cheap raid cards isnt well worth the time & money.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
theraven said:
raid is extremely unreliable in cases of power failure
trust me been there done that
id suggest a single 160gb drive

I have a good 30 mins power backup but at times when I am not at home & power fails for longer time, the comp geat a hard boot,
does it curropt the OS & make data loss on drive A&B in raid?

Lets say I make a raid 0 & then clone the drive so I can restore if ever needed, is there any thing else I need to worry about.

Quote from what I read in another post
'A deficiency with this RAID type is that if one hard disk drive becomes damaged then you loose information on all the hard disk drives connected to this RAID."

Do I loose data on RAID drive A& B
or
does that mean on all drives connected to that system drive E/F/G etc?

I plan to have more speed with RAID 0 & have read that I can gain 60-80% speed.
----------------------
Edited
can a raid 0system work with non raid hdd?

2disk for raid 0 (I get more speed) load OS & other programs on this RAID
2 additional 250 GB disk for data storage, so I dont loose data in case something wrong to the OS or the mainRAID setup>

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom