GNOME To Take The World By Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

praka123

left this forum longback
Gnome is as much as customizable as kde is. but Gnome uses gconf xml registry to store this to minimize the helluva lot options they got.I appreciate that.
when ever I work with kde, It feels like I have to tweak the damn thing for the umpteenth time :evil:

@metalhead :also I believe I am a power user.I find Gnome very much easier to do work and to concentrate on it. kde does not!.

Kde users are most prolly non-geeks and non-technical users whose life was miserabled till they foung GNU/Linux. still ,after the change ,they(ex-M$ 1users) can benefit the same window$ like desktop env by kde.that is the fact.

although I completely agree QT4.4 is way ahead of gtk2 toolkit.It will be nice if Gnome been rewritten on qt4.4 or better on GTK3(if ever it releases!).

also one more point ,kde integrity is in question where in kde many apps crash randomly.this is not a distro specific bug.remember nautilus File browser is getting stabler day by day.I felt Gnome is where the ppl should hang out!
BUT I am NOT against Kde.I liked kdemod . :)

chandru.in

In the zone
Please enlighten me :)

Just to show 2 of them,

1. Change the icon associated with all files of a specific MIME type.
  2. Set a global shortcut for launching any application X (not just media player or file manager).
Both of these are possible using gconf-editor. But it is not a good GUI to do it. Its user-friendliness is worse than even Windows registry. But I just gave explanation u wanted. I love both DEs so will never fight for one alone. :D

Pat

Beyond Smart
Just to show 2 of them,

1. Change the icon associated with all files of a specific MIME type.
  2. Set a global shortcut for launching any application X (not just media player or file manager).
Both of these are possible using gconf-editor. But it is not a good GUI to do it. Its user-friendliness is worse than even Windows registry. But I just gave explanation u wanted. I love both DEs so will never fight for one alone. :D

Which proves that KDE is more for GUI lovers (newbies) and GNOME, not :D

Pat

Beyond Smart
Its not a flame war yaar..Just an open discussion! I dont particularly hate KDE as such. Infact I am using KDEmod on arch currently (though planning to switch to GNOME again :p)

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^subah ka bhoola shaam ko ghar laut aaye toh use bhoola nahi kehte :p

Even I tried to migrate to KDE but there was something irksome about it, may be it was too monotonous for me.

F

FilledVoid

KDE , Gnome and Fluxbox user here. I change as I wish though. Im quite comfortable in eithe rof these DE's

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Wtf? What have the f*cking KDE trolls got to do here? Either talk about the topic or stfu. I'm warning you!

I can't act nice all the time. Every thread is turning the same these days, sick of it!! :mad:

Ontopic, Yes she has lot of credentials to her name, and Gnome will surely bring progressive changes under her command :)

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
hitboxx said:
Ontopic, Yes she has lot of credentials to her name, and Gnome will surely bring progressive changes under her command
^what is the command she uses? :confused: I want to have some tadakki in my life :|:twisted:

KDE , Gnome and Fluxbox user here. I change as I wish though. Im quite comfortable in eithe rof these DE's
me oo. but I prefer IceWM over fluxbox. :) Gnome and KDE are almost equally good at doing what their developers intended them to do.
Gnome is as much as customizable as kde is. but Gnome uses gconf xml registry to store this to minimize the helluva lot options they got.I appreciate that.
when ever I work with kde, It feels like I have to tweak the damn thing for the umpteenth time :evil:

@metalhead :also I believe I am a power user.I find Gnome very much easier to do work and to concentrate on it. kde does not!.

Kde users are most prolly non-geeks and non-technical users whose life was miserabled till they foung GNU/Linux. still ,after the change ,they(ex-M$ 1users) can benefit the same window$ like desktop env by kde.that is the fact.

although I completely agree QT4.4 is way ahead of gtk2 toolkit.It will be nice if Gnome been rewritten on qt4.4 or better on GTK3(if ever it releases!).

also one more point ,kde integrity is in question where in kde many apps crash randomly.this is not a distro specific bug.remember nautilus File browser is getting stabler day by day.I felt Gnome is where the ppl should hang out!
BUT I am NOT against Kde.I liked kdemod . :)
1. gconf is tooooo complex for me. I like all options to be visible in their own programs and in a control center. period.

2. openions differ. and I respect yours as much as I respect my own. :)

3. the exact reverse in my case :p as a win switch I used gnome, as a hardcore geek I use kde.

4. yup. I want gnome to be QT based too. :)

5. Its not just kde which crashes.

Wtf? What have the f*cking KDE trolls got to do here? Either talk about the topic or stfu. I'm warning you!

I can't act nice all the time. Every thread is turning the same these days, sick of it!! :mad:

Ontopic, Yes she has lot of credentials to her name, and Gnome will surely bring progressive changes under her command :)
1. dude, I ain't trolling. this is just open good natured civil discussion.

2. nope. this aint no os war. it feels nice to argue with civilised foss using brains for a change. each one gives only VALID points.

3. Its a SHE ? :shock:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom