GNOME To Take The World By Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

CadCrazy

in search of myself
*www.efytimes.com/admin/useradmin/photo/gnomestormy.jpg

The GNOME Foundation has appointed Stormy Peters as executive director. Stormy, a well-known industry analyst with extensive experience at Hewlett Packard and OpenLogic, will work on accelerating the adoption of GNOME and strengthening the Foundation by attracting new industry members and community contributors.

Stormy's combination of industry expertise and community background will be a great fit for GNOME. Stormy has also been involved in the GNOME community for a long time, having been one of the founding members of the GNOME Foundation Advisory Board in 2000. She has remained involved with GNOME since then, keynoting the GNOME User and Developer European Conference (GUADEC) in England in 2007. Stormy is enthusiastic about joining the GNOME Foundation full time. "I'm very excited to have the chance to help the GNOME community show the world how the GNOME desktop is changing the future of computing." Stormy will continue in an advisory role at OpenLogic.

"Stormy is one of the most well respected members of the open source industry and community." says Jim Zemlin, executive director of the Linux Foundation, "Her unique ability to work with both community volunteers and commercial industry members across a variety of open source projects will serve the GNOME Foundation well."

"Hiring Stormy represents a major step for GNOME", said Luis Villa, a director of the GNOME Foundation. "With her unique background and experience, she'll be a natural at growing industry support for the project and connecting interested parties to our community."

Simon Phipps, Chief Open Source Officer at Sun and GNOME Foundation Advisory Board Member says, "As a key supporter of GNOME, especially in connection with OpenSolaris, Sun is delighted to welcome Stormy to her new position. It is extremely gratifying to see the GNOME Foundation grow to the point where it needs an Executive Director to drive additional industry support and further increase adoption of GNOME. We look forward to working with Stormy in her new role to help her achieve this goal."

Source

She loocs Kool :D

ray|raven

Think Zen.
There's a storm coming :p

Anyways, hope they start Gnome 3 from scratch.
Gnome 2 is too darn bloated now IMO.

Pat

Beyond Smart
^^ Not really..Install it on arch and you will see! GNOME on ubuntu is, ofcourse, bloated (probably heavily customised by Ubuntu team) but a plain vanilla GNOME installation on arch or debain (maybe) is pretty light on the system!

ray|raven

Think Zen.
^Use Xfce and say that again.

Xfce offers the same level of usability at waay less use of resources.
I've used Gnome outside ubuntu too and it still is bloated.

praka123

left this forum longback
used xfce with zenwalk and again came back to good ol' Debian Sid Gnome -fast and usable.
xfce is not at all appealing for me.also it was slow with zenwalk on my old config. :|

KDE for the World :D

I think its bad that developers are now moving away from KDE and going to Gnome. KDE has the advantage that it can deliver more to linux pros and enthusiasts. It takes time to learn but its worth it.

Gnome on the other hand is made keeping the masses in mind. This is good, but it is still a big no no for power users. Gnome is getting more and more mac like. Too simple, and visually appealing on the outside, light on the inside, perfect, but waaaaay too less customisable.

praka123

left this forum longback
^oh yeah? Kde is having the maximum market share you know!

there is no need to compare Gnome with OS X UI. GNOME's got it s on HIG.you dont worry. :p

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
KDE for the World :D

I think its bad that developers are now moving away from KDE and going to Gnome. KDE has the advantage that it can deliver more to linux pros and enthusiasts. It takes time to learn but its worth it.

Gnome on the other hand is made keeping the masses in mind. This is good, but it is still a big no no for power users. Gnome is getting more and more mac like. Too simple, and visually appealing on the outside, light on the inside, perfect, but waaaaay too less customisable.
isn't KDE the one which provide a universal MAC bar ? :rolleyes:
Isnt its the one that has got everythign integrated from hardware config to networking ? like MAC ! :rolleyes:
Isnt its the one that appeals to newbie at first sight ?:rolleyes:

^oh yeah? Kde is having the maximum market share you know!

there is no need to compare Gnome with OS X UI. GNOME's got it s on HIG.you dont worry. :p
KDE has maximum market share ? But it SHOULD be the reverse. Newbies would enjoy linux better if they use Gnome and that is a fact.

RHEL, OpenSuSE, Ubuntu all recommend Gnome.

I compared Gnome UI to OSX because its very simple to use and anyone can learn gnome in less than half an hour.

Gnome HIG is also too simplistic. Like not recommending "advanced" features like PostProcessing in Totem. This too reminds me of something extremely easy to use for non tech people.

Don't get me wrong, but I compared Gnome to OSX because its very very simple to use even by non tech people. The similarity ends there. But their objective is still the same.

Besides, did you know that Mark Shuttleworth intends to make Ubuntu the next Mac ?
isn't KDE the one which provide a universal MAC bar ? :rolleyes:
Isnt its the one that has got everythign integrated from hardware config to networking ? like MAC ! :rolleyes:
Isnt its the one that appeals to newbie at first sight ?:rolleyes:
Universal what bar ? Never used it much...

Intergrated is the REASON people find KDE better when at higher level. But gnome has everything in SINGLE menu.

KDE appealing to newbies at first sight ? You must be kidding right ? Most newbies I know personally find KDE scary, complicated and difficult to get used to. They absolutely LOVE gOS Rocket, the Mac look alike.

Finally, I have nothing against gnome. I use gnome over KDE on systems meant for non tech people and non foss people. Its because Gnome is much more user friendly. But KDE is still the way to go for me personally speaking since I am a power user.

Pat

Beyond Smart
KDE has maximum market share ? But it SHOULD be the reverse. Newbies would enjoy linux better if they use Gnome and that is a fact.

RHEL, OpenSuSE, Ubuntu all recommend Gnome.

I compared Gnome UI to OSX because its very simple to use and anyone can learn gnome in less than half an hour.

Gnome HIG is also too simplistic. Like not recommending "advanced" features like PostProcessing in Totem. This too reminds me of something extremely easy to use for non tech people.

Don't get me wrong, but I compared Gnome to OSX because its very very simple to use even by non tech people. The similarity ends there. But their objective is still the same.

Besides, did you know that Mark Shuttleworth intends to make Ubuntu the next Mac ?

Universal what bar ? Never used it much...

Intergrated is the REASON people find KDE better when at higher level. But gnome has everything in SINGLE menu.

KDE appealing to newbies at first sight ? You must be kidding right ? Most newbies I know personally find KDE scary, complicated and difficult to get used to. They absolutely LOVE gOS Rocket, the Mac look alike.

Finally, I have nothing against gnome. I use gnome over KDE on systems meant for non tech people and non foss people. Its because Gnome is much more user friendly. But KDE is still the way to go for me personally speaking since I am a power user.

You are completely wrong. KDE is the one that targets so-called windows converts. Thats precisely the reason they want their environment on Windows now. Why do you think PCLinuxOS was so famous as being the friendliest distro around ? And what about Mandriva Spring now ?

From when did OpenSuse start recommending GNOME ? I always thought they were more KDE-centric!

Universal Mac Bar means a universal menu-bar which changes its options dynamically depending on which application is active currently. Just like OS X!

Also please tell me few "customisations" you have done on KDE which were not possible on GNOME. I want to genuinely know them :)

Last edited:
KDE and Gnome...

You are completely wrong. KDE is the one that targets so-called windows converts. Thats precisely the reason they want their environment on Windows now. Why do you think PCLinuxOS was so famous as being the friendliest distro around ? And what about Mandriva Spring now ?

From when did OpenSuse start recommending GNOME ? I always thought they were more KDE-centric!

Universal Mac Bar means a universal menu-bar which changes its options dynamically depending on which application is active currently. Just like OS X!

Also please tell me few "customisations" you have done on KDE which were not possible on GNOME. I want to genuinely know them :)
KDE may target windows users, but it certainly IS more customisable. KDE looks more POWERish. It has apps that can effortlessly intergrate into one another.

OpenSuSE switched to Gnome I think from Version 10.3 or something. It raised a hue and cry. OOOLD issue, and I remember debates on that topic. People alleged that they did this to ensure that RedHat competition, also using gnome and used by US Government, is supressed. Politics. :rolleyes:

Universal Mac Bar is just an *option* in KDE thats not exactly there by default. Infact, KDE has three modes, one for windows, one for mac and one for linux users to get used to. This is there in its startup wizard. Its just there to attract more eyes and I personally think its sick, ugly and useless.

The customisations I did in KDE include a file browser in the kasbar, double sized kasbar (compared to gnome) for double icons (most stuff kasbar relates), etc. Konqueror can browse both the net and the files. Kaffeine is better than GXine and Totem.

I think KDE just feels a lot more intergrated and *WHOLE* compared to gnome.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Totem is faster than any other video player I tried !
Rhythmbox is faster than any other audio player I tried !
Who needs konquerer for browsing when FF is there !

I think KDE just feels a lot more intergrated and *WHOLE* compared to gnome
remember linux was all about hack and slash. Here you are much likely to lost into GUI...lolz
linux powertools are its binaries like wc, grep, awk and others...at base they are the one working .

Will u stop the fight please? ;)
and i prefer xfce or fluxy over gnome
urt lags on gnome :(
It never did for me :):rolleyes::!:

Last edited:
Totem is faster than any other video player I tried !
Rhythmbox is faster than any other audio player I tried !
Who needs konquerer for browsing when FF is there !

remember linux was all about hack and slash. Here you are much likely to lost into GUI...lolz
linux powertools are its binaries like wc, grep, awk and others...at base they are the one working .

It never did for me :):rolleyes::!:
Totem faster ? Yes I agree. But more featured ? NO IT IS NOT. Its more for Xfce than Gnome.

I know linux was all hack and slash. But its different now. Today is a combination of lots of good looking GUI and commandline intergration. Else everyone would be using Ratpoison and gentoo with minimal GUI like mehulved. :lol:

Pat

Beyond Smart
Re: KDE and Gnome...

KDE may target windows users, but it certainly IS more customisable. KDE looks more POWERish. It has apps that can effortlessly intergrate into one another.

Thats what I want to know.What makes it more "POWERish"

The customisations I did in KDE include a file browser in the kasbar, double sized kasbar (compared to gnome) for double icons (most stuff kasbar relates), etc. Konqueror can browse both the net and the files. Kaffeine is better than GXine and Totem.

What is kasbar ? :confused: And how does that make KDE more customizable ?

I think KDE just feels a lot more intergrated and *WHOLE* compared to gnome.
Isnt that what OS X does ? :p

Today is a combination of lots of good looking GUI and commandline intergration.

Its only for you buddy..Others might be looking for EITHER a good gui to work with OR something like what mehulved works with!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom