GNOME Developers Hate the Mouse, Remove Middle-Click Paste

heidi2521

Padawan
GNOME Developers Hate the Mouse, Remove Middle-Click Paste

The GNOME developers are preparing something that will get Linux users to reach for the pitchforks and take justice into their own hands.

Not everyone was happy about the decision to remove right-clicking on the GNOME desktop, but people adapted by circumventing this “feature”.

The GNOME developers now plan to remove the middle-click as a paste option and replace it with something a lot less bourgeois. According to a commit on this matter, it will be used to “start selections, and provide text contextual menus (such as word definitions, sharing, etc.).”

The good news is that GNOME 3.10 will be left alone and user will still be able to enjoy pasting with middle-click. The modification will probably be made with the next development cycle for GNOME 3.12. Weather this is a good thing or not, it's up to you to decide.

*git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-setting...c?id=696e04d41a485f84870a98c85b819979928b69e9

The middle-click will be used to start selections, and
provide text contextual menus (such as word definitions, sharing, etc.)

In other news, GNOME users hate GNOME developers, remove GNOME as desktop enviornment.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
sigh, I've still stuck by GNOME.

Shall be the time to move on if their nonsense still continues.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Earlier they removed the transparency in the GNOME-Terminal & now this. Why are they ruining GNOME? I'm thinking of moving to XFCE4. But Dropbox doesn't works there. Mate works fine but no graphical effects .

digit.sh

Journeyman
Earlier they removed the transparency in the GNOME-Terminal & now this. Why are they ruining GNOME? I'm thinking of moving to XFCE4. But Dropbox doesn't works there. Mate works fine but no graphical effects .

There is no reason dropbox should not work in XFCE. You can install dropbox in LinuxMint XFCE variant and Manjaro XFCE version. I personally use Openbox. It does not have all the bells and whistles of heaviweight DEs but its low on resources and is blazing fast.
Here goes my 10' netbook screenshot running Archlinux + openbox. It boots up in 10sec and shuts down in 5sec....pretty impressive for an atom based system. Do notice the dropbox applet on the system tray. Anyone wanting a similar lightweight yet fully functional system has two options: crunchbang and archbang. Everything works in these two distros. Dropbox, libreoffice, pidgin, firefox...you name it....everything runs fine.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
^time to do pacman -S xfce4 on Arch tonight. I've been using arch with Gnome 3 and MATE, but never gave serious shot to xfce4 since last 3 years. But pacman does say that Nautilus libraries are required which means non pure xfce 4 environment.

Top Bottom