GNOME 3.0 Is Coming, And Coming Soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
*www.imgx.org/files/19335_zuluv/600px-Gnomelogo.svg.png​

The K Desktop Environment community came out earlier this year with their brand new KDE 4.0 release that marked significant advancements to this open-source desktop environment compared to its KDE 3.5.x code-base. Meanwhile, the GNOME community has been living in a 2.0 cycle for quite some time with no signs of a major overhaul, but their six-month release cycles just continue to deliver new refinements and minor improvements. The plans for GNOME 3.0 just put this release out when there is significant API/ABI breakage to GNOME 2.0 / GTK+ or a major rewrite. Well, in addition to announcing Stormy Peters joining GNOME, at GUADEC 2008 they have just announced plans for GNOME 3.0!

The details are still emerging from this GNOME conference taking placed in Istanbul, Turkey. All the information that has reached the Internet so far are several GNOME developers briefly mentioning it on their blogs (aggregated through Planet GNOME). The only real information that has hit the blogs so far is that GNOME 2.30 = GNOME 3.0. This was mentioned on Vincent Untz's blog with a photograph. As of yet, no GNOME 3.0 information has appeared on any of the GNOME mailing lists.

Gnome 3.0 Features : ThreePointZero - GNOME Live!
Source : [Phoronix] GNOME 3.0 Is Coming, And Coming Soon! | The GNOME Conference 2008 ? GUADEC

Pat

Beyond Smart
And they will (should ?) prolly learn from the mistakes that the KDE team made on their 4.x release.

praka123

left this forum longback
it is only speculation re!they wont ! they will stick with old toolkit(GTK2) to the maximum time. :|

I seriously hope they change the toolkit to something better this time. We are in a HUGE need of a light weight DE based on QT4.4 to compliment KDE4, the way Xfce/OpenBox compliments Gnome currently.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
We are in a HUGE need of a light weight DE based on QT4.4 to compliment KDE4, the way Xfce/OpenBox compliments Gnome currently.

How exactly do XFCE and OpenBox compliment Gnome. Aren't those like different environments? Also have you tried KDEMod yet?

How exactly do XFCE and OpenBox compliment Gnome. Aren't those like different environments? Also have you tried KDEMod yet?
compliment in the sense be compatible with gnome apps. Since they are GTK too, they natively support gnome apps. So you can use them if you are in need of a high performance session.

IS KDEmod available for Debian ?

OP
Dark Star

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
^^No ! Its Arch Exclusive !

If you think its rumor then check this, Its getting official .. :p *blogs.gnome.org/lucasr/2008/07/10/gnome-30/

Last edited:
^^No ! Its Arch Exclusive !
my point exactly :rolleyes:
I need to 1st create a text/mswd doccument of a customised version of arch guides and then spend around Rs. 3 per page and get everything printed at a nearby shop and keep it in my hand while installing. Since its Linux, I guess this small investment is worth it. :)

Anyway, FilledVoid tells us in *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=882924&postcount=19 that his arch gnome uses only 128mb of ram with compiz. Thats less than even my Debian Sid IceWM. So how much does KDEmod use ?

And when do you think KDEmod for KDE4 is going to come ? Will it come when KDE4.1 is out ? :D

Pat

Beyond Smart
my point exactly :rolleyes:
I need to 1st create a text/mswd doccument of a customised version of arch guides and then spend around Rs. 3 per page and get everything printed at a nearby shop and keep it in my hand while installing. Since its Linux, I guess this small investment is worth it. :)

I mentioned this in the other thread as well

I hope you know that the beginners guide is available in text format on the core iso. So you dont have to manually write steps down or grasp anything or so.

And when do you think KDEmod for KDE4 is going to come ? Will it come when KDE4.1 is out ? :D

I think there is already one for KDE 4.x series.

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^I take a brief had written notes to do all this kinda things, who ha s time to get a print out and all.

My notebook is a treasure to relish

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
What he meant is that you don't have to write anything down at all since the guide is accessible from the cd while you install

Code:
The guide you are now reading is available on the live system. Change to vc/2 with <ALT>-F2 and do:

less /arch/beginnersguide.txt

Less will allow you to page through the document. Change back to vc/1 with <ALT>-F1.

Change back to vc/2 if you need to reference the Beginner's Guide at any time.
[edit]

What he meant is that you don't have to write anything down at all since the guide is accessible from the cd while you install

Code:
The guide you are now reading is available on the live system. Change to vc/2 with <ALT>-F2 and do:

less /arch/beginnersguide.txt

Less will allow you to page through the document. Change back to vc/1 with <ALT>-F1.

Change back to vc/2 if you need to reference the Beginner's Guide at any time.
[edit]
:D :D :D
I feel like I am on cloud9 today :D
:) :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom