!!.:GIMP~art:.!! (Bandwidth Warning)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
GIMP is really awesome and I'm messing with it for some days now and learning everything I possibly can. Hopefully I will post some real neat professional works (ofc with my watermark) here as I go along. Please share your GIMPart in this thread.

Starting Samples:
*i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb178/ferrous_cranus/sa1_640.png *i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb178/ferrous_cranus/space_explode.png​

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Re: !!.:GIMP~art:.!!

Looks cool! Hopefully this should inspire people to use Gimp than using pirated Photoshop. Why not start off by posting some tuts? One of it should be: "How to remove the watermarks using GIMP". :D

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl

Whoa! what images! Cool dude. Keep it up.

@drgrudge,

nice idea. This is another way to promote Open Source Software.

I hope you give link to a decent GIMP tutorial. I got screwed by GIMP to an extent that I swore never to use it again.

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent

Nice work .. Do post a beginner tut :)_ Can yu tell me how to make image sides curved using Gimp and how to make a image with withe turn to transparent bsae like in png pics?

OP
H

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero

FUNNY RUBBER PIPES: (..for the lack of a better name :p..)

I was playing around in GIMP 2.4 yesterday and I found something funny. Try it yourself.

1) Create a new file with your desired size ( i did 420x300) and fill it with Black.

2) Select the pen tool *i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb178/ferrous_cranus/path.pngand create some curves as you feel like. (..for the following effect, I used 2 different sized brushes of colors green and white. First using the pen tool, mark a curve, then select the larger brush(green) and go to Edit > Stroke Path > Stroke with a paint tool and hit Stroke. Then Gaussian blurred the same with a value of 8. Finally select the smaller brush(white) and repeat the same except the blur.)

*i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb178/ferrous_cranus/curves.png

3) Create a new layer filled with Black on top of the current layer and put it in Dodge mode. Then select the Gradient tool *i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb178/ferrous_cranus/grad.png with type as FG to Transparent and shape Radial. Draw it in the fashion so it appears in alternating depths as in the fig,.(.ie., draw in steps and leave small gaps in between.)**
*i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb178/ferrous_cranus/worm.png

4) Then go to Colors > Curves and draw a desired curve until you get the pipe effect

*i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb178/ferrous_cranus/Screenshot-Curves.png

5) Finally go to Colors > Levels and squeeze the black and white values together until you get the final effect.

*i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb178/ferrous_cranus/Screenshot-Levels.png

FINAL RESULT

*i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb178/ferrous_cranus/funny_pipes.png

Play around the settings more and you can get some very cool effects. I think we can design those DNA effects using the same technique.

*i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb178/ferrous_cranus/alternate.png

(..**All the tweaking is done on the Dodge layer..)

OP
H

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero

Sorry, I'm definitely under-qualified to do a tut on GIMP basics. GIMP is as vast as Photoshop if not more. But I do intend to add in more tricks here as I go along and expect other GIMP lovers to do the same.

However, there are alternatives around,

1) Get into your package manager and install grokking-the-gimp. Create a launcher for its index.html which is in /usr/share/doc/grokking-the-gimp on your desktop.

2) Learn from online sites like www.gimp-tutorials.net and www.gimp-tutorials.com etc (..google for more..)

I'm doing the same too.

Last edited:
OP
H

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero

SPRAWLING NIGHT SKY:

A rough simple night sky done using brush and lighting effects.

*i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb178/ferrous_cranus/night_sky.png​

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent

Nice work .. Do post a beginner tut :)_ Can you tell me how to make image sides curved using Gimp and how to make a image with withe turn to transparent base like in png pics?

Stop waving your head and please answer my question.. :p Awesome word again :D

OP
H

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero

Hehe., nah, still in experimental stages, need to learn a lot, just hitting the nails right, that's all! :p

And sell my art for money, nevaah!:)

Stop waving your head and please answer my question.. :p Awesome word again :D
Well., actually I'm not completely understanding you, if you can specify with an example or a screenie, it might help.

Last edited:
OP
H

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero

Ok, open the image, do a Select all (Ctrl+A), go to Select menu > Rounded Rectangle and give a radius of say 10. Then do an Inverse (Ctrl+I) and hit Delete. Finally Deselect it (Ctrl+Shift+A) and you will have your rounded edge image.

Note that image is still square, its border pixels is shaded off from the rest of the image and on a white background web page, it appears rounded. Put on a dark background and you will see it as a square image.

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent

Thanks it worked ! Any way to make it look round in dark background :) Also how to provide shadow to the image and how to give refection at the base ? Like Mirror Images ?

OP
H

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero

For a dark background, do the same until Delete. Before deselecting, go to Edit > Fill with FG/BG color depending on the color value in the palette. Make the color same as the dark background.

For reflection, duplicate the image, flip it, scale if necessary, reduce the opacity, apply some blur and if desired add some water effect like ripple etc.

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent

For reflection, duplicate the image, flip it, scale if necessary, reduce the opacity, apply some blur and if desired add some water effect like ripple etc.
Buddy please be more clear I have never used Gimp/PS except cropping and scaling Images :p I know nothing abt Gimp/PS :p and what about shadow :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom