gfx card upgrade..related..queries..

Status
Not open for further replies.

go_gamez

In the zone
my current config is
Mobo- HIS 845-GVML..with an 4X AGP slot...
p4 2.4 ghz. 1 mb l2 cache
512 mb ddr ram
80 gb PATA HDD
and a crap MX-4000

...i have decided..to upgrade...my gfx card..and i want to get the following info : ( as i am buying a second hand card..due to money restrictions..i have decied on 5700ultra ..and 6600gt !!)

1) does an 8X AGP card perfectly..work in 4X AGP(as a 4x card ) slot like the 6600 gt or..5700 ultra ?? my 8X mx 4000 is working on..this mobo..but dnt knw abt others !!

2) if yes how is ..the xfx geforce 5700 ultra.? as that is something i can get easily at the moment ...and 6600gt second hand is difficult to find...

3) does..5700 ultra have pixel shader 2..and can it runs most of the latest games like blood money and all smoothly at medium gfx settings ??

4) what do u all prefer..which card to go for..at a budget of 3-4k .for second hand card ?? does anyone of u want to send..a similar...card in this range please tell me !!

please....some one help ....me...i am waiting for replies...!!!
thannx in advance

Last edited:

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
6600GT and FX5700ultra are not even in the same league.
I would get a 128mb 6600GT over a 256mb FX 5950ultra box overclocked!

OP
go_gamez

go_gamez

In the zone
but money..also pays a big role while getting a card..so please suggest keeping my budget in mind..also why is nobody...replyin..
cmon ppl please..give some suggestions...i need them..
Wake up !!!

Last edited:

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
No......see a 8X card will work on a 4X slot but not at its full potential....so getting a 6600GT will be a waste...so u get a FX5200 or a 6200.....

But I recommend to change u r mobo to a 865 based.....it will cost u 3.5k.....and then get a 6600GT.....for the best peformance!

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
getting a 6600GT shouldn't be a waste. It will kill probably even a 6600 vanilla on that 4x slot.

get the 6600GT, go ahead.

OP
go_gamez

go_gamez

In the zone
i couldnt get my hands over 6600gt..nor could i get 5700 ultra..now i am looking for a second hand/ brand new card upto 4k max !!please suggest...

how is the xfx geforce 5200 ultra..256 mb..does it have pixel shader 2.0
plzz tell me cauz this is my main criteria for playing hitman..blood money at medium settings..and also for the working of vista i need pixel shader 2.0 please tell me does xfx ge force 5200 ultra support pixel shader ??

and how much should i expect for a second hand 5200 ultra ??

Last edited:

Lucifer

Reviewerus Prolificus
AGP 8x and 4x shouldn't give probs... if u plan to upgrade later to PCI express (which is mostly what's available now) then AGP is a waste...
However check for 7600GS/GT cards... one of the chipsets (not sure which) is available in AGP avatar too.
In case you cannot spend as much, a 6600GT is your best bet.. the FX series are leagues behind.

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
lol......if 6600GT can work normally on a 4X slot then...well...what can I say! :D......then I guess a X1900XT should also work!!! :D

@go_gamez:....for 4k get a 6600 it costs around 3k.....or 3.5k

how is the xfx geforce 5200 ultra..256 mb..does it have pixel shader 2.0
plzz tell me cauz this is my main criteria for playing hitman..blood money at medium settings..and also for the working of vista i need pixel shader 2.0 please tell me does xfx ge force 5200 ultra support pixel shader ??

5200 is really a waste of money!.....yes it has Pixel Shader support and it is the last cad to support Vista.....but....it will probably run ''areo'' like a snail.....
atleast a 6200 is recommend.....although 6600 is a good deal....

5200 costs...1.5k-2k

6200 costs 2.5k-3k

6600 costs 3.5k-4k.....

OP
go_gamez

go_gamez

In the zone
thanx for u r suggestions...i never knew...i was going to but a 5200 ultra (tht to second hand )from my frnd ..for 3 k..lol.. and was being fooled..
thanx
one more thing i had to ask was can some one tell me...what these AA settings ..2xAA and 4xAA settings..mean ???and are these there in game. ??or in the gfx card driver settings.?how does one change these settings ?
i am gonna buy..tommorow ..the gfx card..so reply as soon as possible..i need to make a decision

Last edited:

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
1)6600 is different from 6600GT. 6600(non GT) is crap and now even the 6600GT isn't good.

2)I don't exactly know the performance oss with 4x.

3)With such a system you won't be able to use AA and AF in todays games. You will probably be playing most games at lowest to low settings at 800*600 or 1024*768. The GPU is old and the CPU and RAM make things only worse.

OP
go_gamez

go_gamez

In the zone
hey..ppl..i need some advice..from u..
i am getting a second hand GAINWARD 6600GT 128 MB AGP 8X for 4000 bucks..with shipping..FROM DELHI...the person says he got the card last OCT. and only 1 and half mnth warranty is left....so i want to knw the following !

1)is it a good deal ?

2)is gainward 6600gt better or equal to the XFX 6600gt ?and does it come wid only 1 year warranty ?

3)also...i have a HIS 845-GVML- mobo..with only 4x AGP slot...and currently..a 4x/84 mx 4000 is running..fine on the card...so will it also..run a 6600gt 8x ..as agp cards are backward compatiable..or will there be any problem.,..running it ???

please send u r reply...and suggestions..as soon as possible...
thnx in advance..

Stalker

Padawan
@go_gamez
1) hell yeah!!!...............go for it, try to bargain & get it for abt 3500

2) i feel XFX is better...........dunno properly

3) i am using a 8x FX5200 on a 4X slot....i don't think there should be a problem with the 6600GT...but the card won't run at its full potential though

well.....6600gt supports SM 3.0 & HDR right??

OP
go_gamez

go_gamez

In the zone
Stalker said:
@go_gamez
1) hell yeah!!!...............go for it, try to bargain & get it for abt 3500

2) i feel XFX is better...........dunno properly

3) i am using a 8x FX5200 on a 4X slot....i don't think there should be a problem with the 6600GT...but the card won't run at its full potential though

well.....6600gt supports SM 3.0 & HDR right??

YUP IT DOES SUPPORT SM 3.0 BY THEWAY WHATS HDR ??
PPL TELLIN ME GAINWARD..IS GOOD...
AND I AM GETTING 2 YRS..WARRANTY..AS THE CARD HAS TOTAL 3 YRS...!!
SO 4 K..ANYWAY ...LESS SO CANT GO BELOW THT...I SEE PPL DEMANDIN 4.5 K..FOR 6600GT WID NO WARRANTY OR 1 YR .WRNTY..

Stalker

Padawan
@go_gamez
HDR- high dynamic range imaging, it allows greater lighting detail (very realistic) to textures & supports better reflections of light...............incorporated in games like HL2 : lost coast, BIA: earned in blood, splinter cell chaos theory etc...

well anyways a 6600 gt is damn better than that stupid crappy MX4000..........i had that same card one upon a time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom