Gfx card died.. suggestion needed..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalyan

Journeyman
Hi guyz..
My pc config is in my signature. When I restarted my system yesterday, Windows booted but there was not output on the monitor. The monitor output was fine when I connected it to the onboard output. I have tested both the motherboard and gfx card with my friend's which had the same config. I found out that the gfx card was not working (the fan was spinning though). I need your suggestion what to do now. Is it better to go for a newer card now or is it better to wait a little longer for the prices to fall or better cards to be released? I got two options:

1) Get the 8600 GT replaced, use it till the time comes to upgrade,
2) Buy a new card and a PSU.

Either case, I need to get the card replaced. If it is better to get a new card and PSU, pls suggest the best card for now. I have to sell the replacement card for 1-2k. My price line is 15K for the card. Pls also post the prices for the card and related PSU.

If I can get a good card for less, it would be better. I dont have SLI or CF in my mobo.

Thanks in advance.

OP
Kalyan

Kalyan

Journeyman
no one to help?? Pls guyz.. I need ur help.. also, My LG 1752s monitor is displaying a vertical red line. some times it is there and some times it is not. Should I have the replacement for the monitor?

acewin

Point Blanc
what about the PCI slot failing ?? have you got any different PCI device or have put the gfx card in any other system. If you can get gfx card replaced it is good, but only if done in free( which means if it is warranty), 15K is quiet a big budget with such config and just 17 inch monitor.

If the line is coming in between randomly or anytime, you certainly need to get it checked sending to the service center, then only I think they will consider replacement, if under warranty. Or if repair needs little spenditure then upto 2K is ok or even 3K, but more than that is bad, as in 7K you are getting 19 inch wide-screen monitors and spending in bad harware which can again go bad wont help, bcoz if not in warranty they will ask for money each time you go for repair.

My suggestion of gfx card is ATI HD4770(quiet new and lesser drivers) or HD4850 or nVidia 9800GT all are sub 10K gfx card and to utilize them max you need atleast 1600x1050 res. Anyhow choose wisely for new hardware.

hsetir

Broken In
The graphics card seems to have a fixable problem, or a completely dead one would give beeps.
Ne ways, the prices are'nt going to fall much till nov-dec, when Radeon releases new cards. If you can't wait till then, get the following if

playing resolution 1280x1024
palit radeon hd4770 for 6.5k and tagan 500w for 3.2k

resolution 1600x1200
zotac gtx 260 sp216 for 10.5k and corsair 450vs for 4k

These are the best choices and you don't loose much money with the price fall later.

If monitor is out of warranty and getting a new one, get dell 19" E series for 7k or samsung 22" for 10.5k.

OP
Kalyan

Kalyan

Journeyman
I have tested it with my friend's pc which has the same config as mine. I tried my gfx card on his mobo and it didnt work. When I tried his gfx card(8600GT-similar card) on my mobo, it worked fine. So, my PCI-ex is fine.

I might get a replacement for my card. but do you guyz think spending money on a new gfx card now, would be unwise, for this config? is it ok if I upgrade my monitor? I'm looking towards HD 4850 / gtx 260 sp216. though I am a bit inclined towards nvidia. If I can, I would sell my lcd monitor too so that I can upgrade.

which would be a good PSU for those cards? I have two SATA HDDs, one SATA DVD Writer and a couple of fans connected in my pc.

are the Samsung 22" monitors good?

OP
Kalyan

Kalyan

Journeyman
Will the VX450 handle the gfx card, and the other hardware along with a couple of fans? and suggest me an LCD Monitor too..

is the GTX 260 SP 216 better than HD 4850?

deadkiss 009

I like to FIFA
Will the VX450 handle the gfx card, and the other hardware along with a couple of fans? and suggest me an LCD Monitor too..

is the GTX 260 SP 216 better than HD 4850?

HD 4850 = GTS 250
HD 4870 = GTX 260 core 216

So GTX 260 core 216 is way better than HD 4850. Go for it with a LCD monitor of 22'' SAMSUNG 2233sw. I am using this and this is very good with a price tag of 10k+4% .
For the PSU I have little doubt, but I feel a VX 550 of Corsair will do great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom